My Note 8 has died naturally??. DEAD!!! :(

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

anyways, did you manage to resurrect the phone?
I obviously hope you did but it would be nice to know in case any of us end up in similar situation

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

@Aquila

I don't personally believe in letting it drain to 0 or see any benefit... I'm just saying it shouldn't kill a battery/phone if it happens and far from normal. You do it at the possible expense of longevity to your battery... but it shouldn't kill it. Especially on a new phone.

I see it from this perspective watching my teen and nephews and nieces handle there phones... they are ALWAYS running out of battery by the end of the day lol. They may even carry battery packs and they forget to charge them and those run out and then both their phones and battery packs are run dead. If this is the normal routine for kids... can you imagine how often parents would be going through cellphones per year if they did die so easily because we keep yelling at them, "You let the battery die!" LOL.

If you don't like the USA Today article, there's one by a site called Android Central that basically says what I am just saying too...

www.androidcentral.com/how-take-care-your-phones-battery

"Fully cycling the battery in your phone every once in a while isn't going to break anything. It's not something we recommend you do every day because of that charge cycle life we talked about up the page."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

@Aquila

I don't personally believe in letting it drain to 0 or see any benefit... I'm just saying it shouldn't kill a battery/phone if it happens and far from normal. You do it at the possible expense of longevity to your battery... but it shouldn't kill it. Especially on a new phone.

I see it from this perspective watching my teen and nephews and nieces handle there phones... they are ALWAYS running out of battery by the end of the day lol. They may even carry battery packs and they forget to charge them and those run out and then both their phones and battery packs are run dead. If this is the normal routine for kids... can you imagine how often parents would be going through cellphones per year if they did die so easily because we keep yelling at them, "You let the battery die!" LOL.

If you don't like the USA Today article, there's one by a site called Android Central that basically says what I am just saying too...

www.androidcentral.com/how-take-care-your-phones-battery

"Fully cycling the battery in your phone every once in a while isn't going to break anything. It's not something we recommend you do every day because of that charge cycle life we talked about up the page."
I think we're saying the same thing at the beginning. Jerry is very clear that there's no benefit to calibration. Best case scenario it's just minute damage to longevity, worst case it's higher risk for what the op is describing. As I said earlier, this isn't the expected result of dropping to zero, as it doesn't happen all or even most of the time. But it isn't unexpected either as it happens frequently enough that we talk about this very frequently.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
re:

@Aquila

[/B]

It normally shouldn't, but it can. I do however admit this is not common.

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Left it overnight and still DEAD !! :(

Trying wireless charger now. But I am not hoping too much....

Those of you who think I should've charged before going 0%.. I IMMEDIATELY charged after phone shut down. Not a single phone should be dead right after going to 0%.. After 5-6 months of no charge? sure, but not 5 seconds after going zero.

Looks like I stepped on a pile of ****. :(

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

Those of you who think I should've charged before going 0%.. I IMMEDIATELY charged after phone shut down. Not a single phone should be dead right after going to 0%.. After 5-6 months of no charge? sure, but not 5 seconds after going zero.

Hey do you have that Samsung smart switch software on your computer? Try installing that and running it and then plug the phone in. It should keep searching for it till it finds it. Maybe that will "wake it up".

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

are you sure you're using the right cable and power wart? it matters. and direct to the outlet, since the pc connection didn't work.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
re:

Running the battery down does not void the warrantee.
The battery has protection circuitry to protect against overdischarge and overcharge, so if the phone will not charge when power is applied it must be a manufacturing defect.

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

yes. i'm using cable that came with N8. using samsung adapter.

I wanted to bring good news but :*(

lesson here is to back up EVERYDAY. I might setup something so it automatically backs up when I plug the phone to a PC. Samsung cloud backup doesn't do it frequently (Last backup 11/28 !!! :(

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

lesson here is to back up EVERYDAY. I might setup something so it automatically backs up when I plug the phone to a PC. Samsung cloud backup doesn't do it frequently (Last backup 11/28 !!! :(

I am sooooo sorry. the worst. :'(

yes. backup every day. thought I was with Dropsync, but discovered it was turned off. backing up before I read this post. my important things backup automatically, immediately, as long as I don't mess it up. was shocked got turned off in Nov.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

As someone else already suggested, plug in for 2 minutes, unplug for 2 minutes. Do this repeatedly for 20 minutes or more. Sounds weird, but I have saved several "dead" devices this way. It DOES work. I won't go into why it works - you have nothing to lose by trying.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
re:

they're made this way for YOUR safety and MAX performance, it's in the manual you didn't bother reading.
it's not good to run your car empty to the stage where there's only fumes left in the fuel lines either but I guess you do it all the time and never had a problem
Ha! This is a great analogy! I let my car run out of gas, why wont it start!? Hahaha

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

That sucks,I'm sorry it didn't work. Agree with others saying it's probably time for the warranty process.

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

As someone else already suggested, plug in for 2 minutes, unplug for 2 minutes. Do this repeatedly for 20 minutes or more. Sounds weird, but I have saved several "dead" devices this way. It DOES work. I won't go into why it works - you have nothing to lose by trying.

Ahhh. You are torturing me with this last glimpse of hope!!!

I'll try on Monday. Left it at office on the wireless charger!

*side note.
V30 has very best grip I've ever experienced.
Pixel2 doesn't have edge-2-edge screen but it feels so useable.. and holdable.... like how iPhone 4 was so easy to grip .. and use..

This experience opened a new doors for me so... thanks Samsung! Lol

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

Ahhh. You are torturing me with this last glimpse of hope!!!

I'll try on Monday. Left it at office on the wireless charger!

*side note.
V30 has very best grip I've ever experienced.
Pixel2 doesn't have edge-2-edge screen but it feels so useable.. and holdable.... like how iPhone 4 was so easy to grip .. and use..

This experience opened a new doors for me so... thanks Samsung! Lol
Actually, the stack charging cycle should be shorter then I originally recommend. Try 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off - repeat for 15 minutes and try to turn on.

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
re:

All I can say is good luck.
Had an S8 and a Note 8 die similarly. Both had to be swapped because everything I tried failed.