My Note 8 has died naturally??. DEAD!!! :(

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

That's what I did!

How much did it cost to get the battery replaced? I went on Aliexpress but can't really find replacement batteries yet.

Is it still water resistant after they replaced the battery? I assume Samsung won't cover shipping so have to factor in insurance. If it was me and they wanted $80 to replace the battery I'd still pay that compared to rolling the dice on Samsung.

I'm glad I keep my S8 Plus as a backup even though I never intend on even running it down to 30 percent. I'd like to know the cost though in case I ever do need to replace it.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re:

let's not get into "Why you should charge before 0%" It'd be endlessly time-wasting discussion with no happy ending.

Plugged into my laptop usb 2.0! phone's back is little warm so I know it's getting the juice. Will leave overnight and report back tomorrow!

So what's the verdict? Did it come back up?

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Slow and low fixes this issue. The lower the charge the better it holds up. Fixes my vape batteries every time. Lithium batteries should never go to true zero. They should shut down before that. Otherwise this is what you get. Find a slow charger with like .5 amps and that should kick it back into gear.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Can't really blame Samsung for you letting your battery get so low that it "dies". That's not EVER good for any modern lithium battery in any device, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Hope it works out.

I put a battery meter app, it's capacity is measured in voltage.

4.3V full

3.6V empty.

It shuts down around 3.5V. You should really recharge around 3.7V.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
But it has that cool non-removable battery that we all so love.

Because who needs removable ones. They could actually enable you to swap it in 10 seconds flat and be back in business.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
But it has that cool non-removable battery that we all so love.

Because who needs removable ones. They could actually enable you to swap it in 10 seconds flat and be back in business.
Then you'd lose IP68 rating. Which is more important than a user replaceable battery for the majority of users.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Anyway to know ahead of incident if one's phone has this not able to charge issue when fully drained?
When getting replace phone, does one have to reload all one's apps as well as re-adjust settings (if so, a bit pain)?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Here's the article. Take it with a grain of salt though. The media is trying to place it on the same level as the Note 7 fiasco.

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-galaxy-note-8-reportedly-has-a-battery-problem-of-its-own

Yes the S5 was IP67 rated, not IP68 which it's what the S7 and newer has. The problem is that if you didn't put the USB cover on, or ensure the back was in tight it would fail. My wife's S5 got water logged while in LifeProof case. She didn't close the USB port cover on both the phone AND the case. Water infiltrated via the USB port and killed her phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Here's the article. Take it with a grain of salt though. The media is trying to place it on the same level as the Note 7 fiasco.

The Galaxy Note 8 reportedly has a battery problem of its own | TechRadar

Yes the S5 was IP67 rated, not IP68 which it's what the S7 and newer has. The problem is that if you didn't put the USB cover on, or ensure the back was in tight it would fail. My wife's S5 got water logged while in LifeProof case. She didn't close the USB port cover on both the phone AND the case. Water infiltrated via the USB port and killed her phone.

That will happen but it was her fault for not having the port cover on. That wasn't the phones fault. There have been a few cases the s7 not resisting water like it is supposed to and causing problems.

Irish Mafia

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever get it to work? This happened to my N8 about 2 weeks ago! :(

My phone went to zero one night, I plugged it in, got a small lightening bolt, but not the usual charging dial. I didn't think much of it, went to do other things, a minute or two later, I heard it vibrate/buzz a could of times (thought that's wierd, it's not booted), went to look at it, and it was dead. Just like the yours, nothing would revive it, it was dead dead.

I wound up replacing it under warranty. The problem with warranty is you get recycled/rebuilt phone. I had to reload all my apps thru the PlayStore because the activation process is flawed. When you get to the step where it reloads your apps, the screen just goes black and the phone locks up; I had to hard reboot. After two retries, I skipped this step, and went thru the PlayStore.

Luckily, I use Nova Launcher and had backed up, and was able to get my apps & screens reorganized quickly

Maybe somebody can help me out. The biggest pain with a new phone it all your android settings are gone, trusted places/devices, security settings, VPN, etc. If there's a way to completely image all your settings, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I put a battery meter app, it's capacity is measured in voltage.

4.3V full

3.6V empty.

It shuts down around 3.5V. You should really recharge around 3.7V.
Not sure why you hunted down my post and quoted it but thanks for the info.

I just don't/won't let a lithium ion battery in anything I own (tools, electronic devices, shavers, etc.) go completely dead because it's one of the worst things you can do for this type of battery chemistry. Nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride batteries needed to be completely drained on occasion to extend their life and prevent the "memory effect", but that's old technology these days.

whittin3

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My phone went to zero one night, I plugged it in, got a small lightening bolt, but not the usual charging dial. I didn't think much of it, went to do other things, a minute or two later, I heard it vibrate/buzz a could of times (thought that's weird, it's not booted), went to look at it, and it was dead. Just like the yours, nothing would revive it, it was dead dead.

This was my experience as well. My note 8 went to 1-2% then shortly after it shutdown, presumably it was at 0%. I plugged it in to charge, it showed the charging icon as you described, and left it next to me. I heard the buzzes, tried to tun it on and it would not boot. Left it for a 20 min, and still same issue. No matter what I tried the note 8 would not turn on. I took it to a Sprint repair store and had the battery replaced. It resolved the issue but 1 month later (today) it happened again! My Note 8 just died this morning (while I was on it) with the same problem / pattern. instead of having the battery replaced I will ask for a refurbished phone from a Sprint repair store. Very disappointed at Samsung right now. :(

I didn't speak up before when I first had this problem on this forum. If anyone else has had this problem, do speak up.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
if you have a wireless charger, try and put it on that
while also having the charging port plugged into a USB port on a computer, it is two different circuits and that method has worked for many different phones, not just notes or samsungs