My Note 8 has died naturally??. DEAD!!! :(

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
So I was using the phone and noticed it's at 1% battery. Soon it dies. I immediately put the phone to a charger and walks away for a few minutes.

No light shows. Screen is blank. /panic

Googles symptom. Try soft resetting (vol down + pwr) nada. (vol up+bixby+pwr). zit..

Just called Samsung and rep is unable to handle this case. Tells me to send the phone for repair. Data will be erased. !!!

DAMN! My data is gone!!!!

*If I put the phone to samsung wireless charger, charger lights up.. but phone is as dead as a brick.

I'm screwed. right? DAMN IT SAMSUNG!

*EDIT 1*

Trying PC usb port now. But unlike the other post. I don't get the circle. Screen is completely dark.

Only thing I noticed on the screen was when I plugged in the charger very slowly, the screen showed white glitch like *pow!* ~~ (like the effect of old TV screen being shut off) and I thought that was the motherboard giving its last goodbye. :(

Last edited:

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

I would suggest putting it charging from a computer usb port for at least an hour and then try and boot into recovery and restart before putting it on the fast charger

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

forgot, letting it run totally down like that, it is normal for that to happen, once revived you should be fine and not have any data loss

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

also try resusitation charging as suggested by one member. plug, unplug, plug, unplug. and make sure your charger is powered directed through an outlet, or IF on a strip that the strip is sufficient. had that issue once too with an old strip. moved it to the outlet on the wall and it was charging perfectly.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
re:

Can't really blame Samsung for you letting your battery get so low that it "dies". That's not EVER good for any modern lithium battery in any device, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Hope it works out.

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Trying PC usb port now. But unlike the other post. I don't get the circle. Screen is completely dark.

Only thing I noticed on the screen was when I plugged in the charger very slowly, the screen showed white glitch like *pow!* ~~ (like the effect of old TV screen being shut off) and I thought that was the motherboard giving its last goodbye.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

trying the PC usb port might take a few hours before the phone picks up, I did it with a Yotaphone and just left it overnight

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Huh? Sure you can... Brand new phone... battery only months old... you SHOULD be able to run it down to zero and if it happens you should be able to plug it into a charger and battery should charge enough to eventually power back on.

Is it good for longevity of battery?? Probably not. But it happens... you can be out on the field and run your battery dry unintentionally but you should feel secure of being able to charge it back once you are able to and not brick a $1000 phone and lose everything.

Last year spent vacation hiking in the Rockies in Canada... Lake Louise, etc. Often I ran out of juice by end of day and no battery pack and charge no problem when able to later.

I still have a drawer full of iPhone 4s or a couple of Galaxy S3s in storage at work drained dry from unuse and I recently put them into a charger and they still boot up if I wanted to.

Any death of a battery we should be talking years in the future.

Can't really blame Samsung for you letting your battery get so low that it "dies". That's not EVER good for any modern lithium battery in any device, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Hope it works out.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
re:

A while ago I get a call from my neighbour - "I'm on the highway at...and my car has died. My phone battery is about to die. Can you plz call roadside assistance & give them the details." He ended up stuck on the side of the road for 2hrs. When next I saw my neighbour I said CAR CHARGER! Geeze, I've fast cable chargers, wireless chargers, I've a 10000mha portable battery, car charger.....not to mention max power saving mode.....why is this thread even here?

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

let's not get into "Why you should charge before 0%" It'd be endlessly time-wasting discussion with no happy ending.

Plugged into my laptop usb 2.0! phone's back is little warm so I know it's getting the juice. Will leave overnight and report back tomorrow!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Because for whatever reason his brand new phone did run out of battery and when he tried to put it on a charger, the phone is a brick.

Do you think that it really is his fault his battery shouldn’t be able to handle a recharge when goes to zero? Things happen when you can be as prepared as possible and still find yourself in a situation where you run out juice and doesn’t have a right to ask for help? I gave a suggestion posted by someone elsewhere in hopes it may help. :/

A while ago I get a call from my neighbour - "I'm on the highway at...and my car has died. My phone battery is about to die. Can you plz call roadside assistance & give them the details." He ended up stuck on the side of the road for 2hrs. When next I saw my neighbour I said CAR CHARGER! Geeze, I've fast cable chargers, wireless chargers, I've a 10000mha portable battery, car charger.....not to mention max power saving mode.....why is this thread even here?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

@donm527
not trying to **** on your parade or anything but you need to understand that battery technology have moved on since all those phones you have in the drawer, it is not just note 8 this would happen to either, yes it can be a pain in you know what if it accidentally happens you run it completely dry but it is a performance trade off and people just need to learn, it's in the manual they didn't read, set a low battery warning or to shut down at 3 % and it will never be a problem

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

let's not get into "Why you should charge before 0%" It'd be endlessly time-wasting discussion with no happy ending.

Plugged into my laptop usb 2.0! phone's back is little warm so I know it's getting the juice. Will leave overnight and report back tomorrow!

glad to hear

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well I’m just saying it’s hard to believe people find it acceptable or persons fault that phone can’t handle going to zero... if newer phones can’t be expected to do that when older phones can... battery technology has gone backwards in that area IMO. I find it unacceptable if happens to me even though I am anal in making sure I charge properly. Guess we’ll agree to disagree.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well I’m just saying it’s hard to believe people find it acceptable or persons fault that phone can’t handle going to zero... if newer phones can’t be expected to do that when older phones can... battery technology has gone backwards in that area IMO. I find it unacceptable if happens to me even though I am anal in making sure I charge properly. Guess we’ll agree to disagree.
Battery tech hasn't changed in the part where if you discharge it to below a critical voltage level, it dies and can't be recharged. The manufacturer can't control what you are doing at the time that may have pushed the battery that far. Doesn't matter if the battery is just 1 day old. Take it down to below critical charge and it's dead. Pretty easy to achieve if you are doing something pretty intensive like games or streaming on high resolution and brightness and keep ignoring all the warnings at 15 and 5%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2