I've been using the Note 8 and the Pixel 2 XL for the last couple of weeks trying to decide which to keep. I've never had this hard of a time deciding between two Android phones. They are all pretty much great nowadays.

Anyway, I setup Android Pay on both, linking my PayPal card (this card isn't available with Samsung Pay yet). It works great on the Pixel, but won't do anything when holding near the terminal (same store) on the Note. Do I need to do something other than unlock the phone and hold it near the terminal?

In the Tap and Pay settings I selected Android Pay, and NFC is turned on. Under that Tap and Pay setting there is an option that says "If open app supports Tap and Pay", then there are two choices: "Still use Android Pay" and "Use open app instead of Android Pay". What's open app?

Anyone tips are appreciated...
    12-08-2017 07:54 PM
    Not sure about the "open app..." option. I'd try setting to "Still use Android Pay" and see if that works. That's what I did with the Note 5, and had no problems using Android Pay, although I don't use PayPal.

Some terminals may also have a slightly different location where the NFC reader lives, so you may have to experiment a bit with where you hover/place the Note 8 so it can be in the terminal' NFC reader "zone".

How to set up NFC-enabled payment feature | Samsung HK_EN has some pictures that show where the NFC zone lives on the Note 8. That may help with matching the Note 8's NFC zone with the terminal's reader.
    12-09-2017 11:08 AM
    Thanks @Trees, that link was helpful. I was just tapping the top of the phone but I see now that it's actually on the middle back. That's probably what I was doing wrong. I will give it another shot.
    Trees likes this.
    12-09-2017 11:28 AM