Hello Android Community,

Like the title says, I just switched from my iPhone X (still have it) to the Note 8. I've been an iPhone user since the first release. I've always "envied" my friends and those with Android phones because of the flexibility, rooting (similar to Jailbreaking - which is non-exisitant with iOS 11), themeing, and the list goes on.

I really like the Note 8. The screen size is bigger - which I like, the S-Pen is a really neat feature/function to the phone, and the main thing is the ability to have widgets! Having a snippet of my mail, weather, feeds, etc, on my home page or other added pages is really cool! However, will all of this, I feel really lost compared to the outdated iOS. I feel lost to the point of returning the Note 8 (at Best Buy), and going back to the iPhone X; it's what I feel comfortable with.

Will the comfortability change over time or am I still always going to "miss" the iPhone? The Note 8 has so many features that I feel kind of lost! Don't get me wrong, the phone is really beautiful, much better looking and more fluid than the iPhone X, I'm just not sure if Android is for me.

I guess I am looking for some advice on this and get some of your thoughts. By the way, do you recommend rooting the device and adding a custom ROM, or just stay with the Samsung ROM that was put on the phone? Also, is there a way to zoom in on the camera with one hand like the iPhone?

Thanks in advance for reading my post!
    Gray Area likes this.
    12-12-2017 09:19 PM
    I suggest looking on YouTube for videos by sakitech and Detroitborg. They have great tutorials. The phone does have a 1 handed mode. But look at those videos. They help a lot.
    barondebxl, torbach1 and Gray Area like this.
    12-12-2017 09:22 PM
    Hello Android Community,

Like the title says, I just switched from my iPhone X (still have it) to the Note 8. I've been an iPhone user since the first release. I've always "envied" my friends and those with Android phones because of the flexibility, rooting (similar to Jailbreaking - which is non-exisitant with iOS 11), themeing, and the list goes on.

I really like the Note 8. The screen size is bigger - which I like, the S-Pen is a really neat feature/function to the phone, and the main thing is the ability to have widgets! Having a snippet of my mail, weather, feeds, etc, on my home page or other added pages is really cool! However, will all of this, I feel really lost compared to the outdated iOS. I feel lost to the point of returning the Note 8 (at Best Buy), and going back to the iPhone X; it's what I feel comfortable with.

Will the comfortability change over time or am I still always going to "miss" the iPhone? The Note 8 has so many features that I feel kind of lost! Don't get me wrong, the phone is really beautiful, much better looking and more fluid than the iPhone X, I'm just not sure if Android is for me.

I guess I am looking for some advice on this and get some of your thoughts. By the way, do you recommend rooting the device and adding a custom ROM, or just stay with the Samsung ROM that was put on the phone? Also, is there a way to zoom in on the camera with one hand like the iPhone?

Do not root the phone. For what you want it to do, it will just cause issues. Especially if you are not comfortable with Android yet. Just give it some time and you will get used to it
    iSilas, Trees and toenail_flicker like this.
    12-12-2017 09:33 PM
    Nah. It's just that you were used to how things used to be. It will get better over time. It's just like how I would be lost on iOS. The main thing is that you don't need to know everything immediately. Just explore it. It's part of the fun of getting something new.
    Jewels81 and Gray Area like this.
    12-12-2017 09:33 PM
    I suggest looking on YouTube for videos by sakitech and Detroitborg. They have great tutorials. The phone does have a 1 handed mode. But look at those videos. They help a lot.
    Thank you for the information on the tutorials. I will definitely look at them tonight.
    12-12-2017 09:38 PM
    Do not root the phone. For what you want it to do, it will just cause issues. Especially if you are not comfortable with Android yet. Just give it some time and you will get used to it

Makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was any added benefit to it. Thank you.
    12-12-2017 09:38 PM
    Nah. It's just that you were used to how things used to be. It will get better over time. It's just like how I would be lost on iOS. The main thing is that you don't need to know everything immediately. Just explore it. It's part of the fun of getting something new.

Very true. It's just nowadays we are so phone dependent that it feels handicapped to be on a phone with unfamiliar territory!
    12-12-2017 09:40 PM
    Makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was any added benefit to it. Thank you.
    There used to be when the phones were slow and the OS was buggy and immature and the hardware (CPU) was slow... No longer!
    12-12-2017 09:44 PM
    Hello Android Community,

I run a YouTube channel dedicated to the things you can do with your phone and camera. Here is my Note 8 playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gy-uNTRuguBJh-

Hope that helps you get started with all the things you can do with your Note 8 and enjoy this awesome smartphone!

Let me know if you have any questions as well!
    Gray Area and CapScarlet like this.
    12-12-2017 10:54 PM
    I'd say most Android users that also use iPhone feel iOS is a walled garden and restrictive

Just organizing home screen wallpaper and desktop, pages and putting icons where you want.

Having choice of default apps.

The Note 8. Think of it as iPhone X Plus. A year early but I'm sure Apple wants one.
    Gray Area likes this.
    12-13-2017 01:50 AM
    To zoom in on the camera, just hold-press and slide up or down on the shutter button. It will zoom in or out. One thing to keep in mind: If you hold the shutter button to long without sliding, the camera will go into burst mode and shoot a lot of photos of the same thing. Just play with it and you'll get used to it. Just be patient with android and explore like everyone says. There's so much in the settings or you don't have to touch for now and eventually get to them. I just purchased the DEX dock (look into it if you want to do this) and it's awesome and as I write this comment using a keyboard on my 32" LED monitor, it's so nice. A PC in your pocket! Enjoy!
    Gray Area likes this.
    12-13-2017 02:02 AM
    Don't force yourself to try and like something or you'll just end up resenting it but still give it a fair chance to see if you can get used to it and more importantly enjoy it.
    I can and do jump between iPhone's and Androids often and seamlessly because I love both. My wife decided last year to get the Galaxy s7 edge after seeing the TV ads. She literally only lasted a few hours with it then gave it to me and ordered herself a new iPhone instead. Deep down, I don't think she really wanted to give it a proper shot tbh and the very first thing that popped up on the screen that confused her, she packed it up and never touched it again. I still see a lot of people a little like that in here that come from iOS or Windows phones. It feels like they're begrudgingly trying Android and just see obstacles everywhere they look. I'm not saying that's you at all btw but maybe feel quite daunted by Android as there's so many options thrown at you in the first few weeks of getting one and iOS feels a lot safer to you. As for rooting. I really wouldn't bother, I used to jailbreak my iPhone's too to get better themes and tweaks but most things you can do on Android without having to root or use a custom rom and rooting will lose the likes of banking apps, Samsung and Android Pay and worst of all your warranty
    DMarie04 and Gray Area like this.
    12-13-2017 02:37 AM
    I'd say most Android users that also use iPhone feel iOS is a walled garden and restrictive

Just organizing home screen wallpaper and desktop, pages and putting icons where you want.

Having choice of default apps.

The Note 8. Think of it as iPhone X Plus. A year early but I'm sure Apple wants one.
    Haha no kidding and so true.
    12-13-2017 02:43 AM
    I used to be an iPhone user back when the 5 came out. That was my first and only iPhone before I jumped ship to Samsung. Since you've been with Apple for years, it's gonna feel overwhelming learning a new system, but give it time! You don't have to learn everything all at once. That's what I did and I can't imagine going back to iPhone, even now. I love Apple for their laptops and tablets, but their phones aren't for me - too boring for my taste. I say if you really like the Note8 give it a chance, but in the end the decision is up to you. I will always be a Samsung girl and I couldn't ever go back to Apple.
    12-13-2017 07:21 AM
    as someone who converted from a windows phone, way back, I think you should give it a fair try. I hated android at first because nothing was familiar and I felt lost too. I stuck with it, learned my way, began to love android (and it was in its infancy then), went on to newer androids and eventually rooting.

hang in there and give it a real chance if you can. the thing is, with android, you can do pretty much what you, you just have to learn it first. and it is a quick learn.
    12-13-2017 10:27 AM
    I feel lost to the point of returning the Note 8 (at Best Buy), and going back to the iPhone X; it's what I feel comfortable with.
    !
    I bought a Note8 from BB, returned it the next day out of panic and anxiety with an OS that would most likely intimidate any newcomer, whether your coming from iPhone or android.

The following week I started missing the heck out of this phone. After extensive research on YouTube and at this enlightening AC site I decided to give the Note8 a second chance. 3 months later, I'm very happy with this phone and haven't looked back.

Give it some time, do a lot of research and check out this amazing site for tips and tricks. The S Pen is quite addictive and comes in handy! Thanks to iSyncr I can import music from my iTunes library and have it handy for convenient listening enjoyment on my Note!

I hope you decide to keep your Note but if not that's OK also. Just be patient and try not to let any shock by the sudden change in portable tech software environment overwhelm you. In fact you may find it hard to put this awesome phone down! 😊 Peace!
    12-13-2017 12:00 PM
    I hope you decide to keep your Note but if not that's OK also. Just be patient and try not to let any shock by the sudden change in portable tech software environment overwhelm you. In fact you may find it hard to put this awesome phone down! ������ Peace!
    well said. I pickup and play with mine more than any device I've owned except for my N7. can't seem to leave it alone. my other notes have been fun and useful too, but the N7 & N8 knocked it out of the park.
    Auronda40 and iSilas like this.
    12-13-2017 12:04 PM
    Thanks toenail! I agree! Fun to hold and play around with! And I'm constantly making mods and tweaks, an absolute nod to Android for it's user friendly flexibility which won me over from Apple to begin with, despite being a diehard Mac user.

Considering the DeX adapter along with a sammy curved monitor for an additional home office workstation.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    12-13-2017 12:43 PM
    I have a Galaxy S8+ and thouight I was saving money but got a comparable device. Not. The Note is so much more. Using a DeX dock station, the S8+ couldn't really handle it, The Note never slows dow or runs low on memory. It has phenomenal memory management along with extra 2GB in there.

Watched youtube showing opening 100+ apps, then going back and reopening ... and while the S8+ had trouble eventually taking longer the Note 8 was not breaking a sweat.

I'm still learning after 2-3 months on Galaxy 8 series, first had Note II and and S6 and S7, along with iPhone 5, 6S+ (2), and didn't last a week with iPhone 8 and iOS 11.

The iPhone X is similar to S8 in some respects, weighs as much as S8+ as far as physical design.

I'll be looking forward to "test driving" the Galaxy S9's next year and upgrade to Note 9 definitely.
    sergysn, Gray Area and iSilas like this.
    12-13-2017 12:50 PM
    making mods and tweaks, an absolute nod to Android for it's user friendly flexibility
    you're welcome, and this I love. I mod and tweak constantly
    12-13-2017 01:46 PM
    what type of mod and tweak? lol
    12-13-2017 03:19 PM
    what type of mod and tweak? lol
    so many... custom launcher (there are many), icons, etc., I use several apps for things like blocking ads, scheduling different tasks based on situations, disabling items that are stock or Sammy that I don't use or want active, etc. too many to number and name really.

eta - and I have rooted every other android I'm owned with the except of this one.
    12-13-2017 03:24 PM
    Hello Android Community,

The n8 has the same 2x zoom button on the screen like the iPhone. You feel like the n8 is faster? Mine is the other way around.
    12-13-2017 03:29 PM
    One good choice is to set up your Google Assistant, and every time you hit a speed bump just say okay Google and ask the question you'll get tons of YouTube videos, forums and articles with the answer you're looking for.

I do this with my recently purchased iPhone 7. I have never used ios so I immediately felt boxed in and crippled. Within 1hr I was ready to box it up and return the phone. But since it's my 2cnd line phone I wanted something different from my note 8. I forced myself to learn more about ios if for nothing else, to be well informed on all things mobile tech. I still have a long way to go but every time I get confused or stumped I grab my note and ask my trusty assistant! Google
    12-13-2017 04:10 PM