Autospace Doesn't Work in Chrome using Swipe Keyboard

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Note 8, all Stock, using the default built-in keyboard.

When texting, and using a swipe method, it does automatically put in spaces between the words, as it should.

But if I open Chrome, and try to enter words to search, the Autospace doesn't function, and it makes one giant, long word.

Some searching suggested that when entering text into the URL bar of Chrome, it is expecting a continuous string for a website, so Autospace doesn't work. Their suggestion was to use the Google Search Widget instead, where Autospace does work.

I haven't figured out any work-around for this, but was wondering if others also have this problem, and if there is any known fix or work-around.

Interestingly, got my wife an S8 a couple of days ago, and this behavior is exactly the same on her phone. It bugs both of us.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
So Chrome is working as designed, and your research has yielded a workaround by using the widget. Next step might be to contact Samsung Software Development through their site.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So Chrome is working as designed, and your research has yielded a workaround by using the widget. Next step might be to contact Samsung Software Development through their site.

Thanks for the reply.

It is only speculation that Chrome is working as designed. It makes sense for a Desktop Browser, but certainly not for a Mobile phone, where it should do autospace.

So the exact cause isn't clear - is it a Samsung phone quirk, or does it work like this with any phone using the same version of Android and Google Chrome? At this point, I really don't know who to contact about it.

So:

Do people here find the same behavior I'm finding, with either their Note 8's, or other non-Samsung Galaxy phones, where typing into the url field in Google Chrome not doing autospace as it does with texting?

Or does autospace in fact work for you in both locations?

trendenter

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
I have an S7. The wording on your settings menu may be different, but it's around here somewhere and this is what fixed my exact exasperating problem: Settings > Language & Input > select Virtual Keyboard or On Screen keyboard, then select the keyboard you are using. There should be some setting for cursor control. Be sure the cursor control is toggled OFF and continuous typing is ON. Check this setting on all keyboards you are using. I have Samsung and GBoard keyboards. Both have these cursor control toggles. Hope this helps!

trendenter

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
***Correction***. I made a mistake: Samsung "keyboard swipe" setting is where I selected continuous typing instead of cursor control. GBoard "glide typing" setting has a cursor control on\off. Good Luck!

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
On my Verizon Note 8, the Samsung Keyboard is selected, and on the 'swipe to type' menu option, there are 3 options: No swipe gestures, Swipe to Type, and Cursor Control. On my phone, "Swipe to type" is already selected, and "Cursor control" is not selected. So unfortunately, it doesn't seem like your suggestion is applicable to mine.

Thanks for the attempt though!

trendenter

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
***Correction***. I made a mistake: Samsung "keyboard swipe" setting is where I selected continuous typing instead of cursor control. GBoard "glide typing" setting has a cursor control on\off. Good Luck!

drvjmj

May 31, 2019
Visit site
Same Issue with S10+ in chrome using default keyboard. Switching to google keyboard fixed it.

Then how do I switch to the Google keyboard?

Under settings language and input Samsung keyboard is defaulted and grayed out and I clicked on Google voice input but don't see anything for switching to the Google keyboard itself. Can you help?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Then how do I switch to the Google keyboard?

Under settings language and input Samsung keyboard is defaulted and grayed out and I clicked on Google voice input but don't see anything for switching to the Google keyboard itself. Can you help?
You need to download Gboard from the app store

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I installed Gboard...it won't even show up in my keyboard settings to switch to use it... since wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Go to Settings>Languages & Input>On-screen Keyboard​. You don't see Gboard there?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63