Running Oreo. No problems yet.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So I was reading my Google news feed the other day and noted that older phones and versions of Android were getting Google Assistant. Oookay.

Then I looked below at "other stories" in tech and saw there was a non-root method to load Android 8 on my Note 8.

I don't root often but thought what the heck, I am backed up.

You have to have a sd card in it. But it works. A few obvious differences and speed slightly better. But battery life is down about 20 percent. Keep in mind that this is a beta, so I would expect that to be ironed out before the Q1 general launch.

I am on VZW BTW.

BJ

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
So I was reading my Google news feed the other day and noted that older phones and versions of Android were getting Google Assistant. Oookay.

Then I looked below at "other stories" in tech and saw there was a non-root method to load Android 8 on my Note 8.

I don't root often but thought what the heck, I am backed up.

You have to have a sd card in it. But it works. A few obvious differences and speed slightly better. But battery life is down about 20 percent. Keep in mind that this is a beta, so I would expect that to be ironed out before the Q1 general launch.

I am on VZW BTW.

BJ

Have you a link to the article re how to?

Last edited:

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I installed it last week too. Its running smoothly. My battery life is the same but I have run across a minor bug that I'm sure will be worked out with the official version.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
it's not a beta it's an accidental release. basically a preproduction unofficial release. if it was a beta it would come from Samsung not a website.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
it's not a beta it's an accidental release. basically a preproduction unofficial release. if it was a beta it would come from Samsung not a website.

Exactly. I would be interested in installing an official beta, but I'm steering clear of this.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorta hesitant but I'm also brave....but....I think I'll wait lol.

Exactly. I would be interested in installing an official beta, but I'm steering clear of this.

Agreed... I've been following along over on the XDA Developers Thread and I'm with you guys. I can definitely wait until Samsung says it's ready to send it out to us! I'm too old for these experiments any more... used to love this stuff but I've grown tired of problems!!! Just give me a phone that works please!

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Wife just upgraded to 8.1 on my old Nexus 6P. There is nothing in Oreo that either of us use, or have found useful over Nougat. So I have no problem waiting for the official release. All I care about is that it's a stable, bug free update whenever it finally arrives.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Agreed... I've been following along over on the XDA Developers Thread and I'm with you guys. I can definitely wait until Samsung says it's ready to send it out to us! I'm too old for these experiments any more... used to love this stuff but I've grown tired of problems!!! Just give me a phone that works please!

totally agree with you......I used to flash all the different roms on phones and constantly tweaking my phone.
Now days.......all i want is for it to just work.....
I don't have the time or patience anymore :)

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I love this site! I took the plunge to install the update and it is awesome! I do have to mention there is a time delay once you install the 2nd update until the update starts processing (which is nerve racking), but worth the wait. I'd suggest updating if you don't want to wait another 6 months or so for that ATT update.

Thanks for the awesome post about this! Its not an iPhone X, but the Note 8 has its fun times.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I haven't run a public release software on my iPhone since the later releases of iOS 9 but for some reason, I'm deathly afraid to try 8.0 beta on my Note 8.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'll just wait for the official release. I don't mess with beta versions and would rather get the good copy than risk my phone. I'd rather get it when it's ready.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I installed it, but Netflix wouldn't work on it so I Odin back to 7.1.1
If you haven't already restarted your phone try doing that to see if if Netflix works then. That fixed mine. However, I noticed that this may have been a Netflix problem. I kept receiving Netflix app updates last week.

My wife was also having the same problem I had on her Note 8 and she's still running Nougat. Hers is working fine now too.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I did a factory reset after I installed Oreo. It worked for a minute then it stopped, plus I kept getting a security notification about access to a area being blocked.