quick how to on how to use samsung pay, at the gas pump

Boosted Veteran

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I thought id make a quick tutorial on how to use samsung pay at the pump as ive seen some people not knowing how to make it work. will try to make it as easy to read as possible.

how the readers at the pumps work is there is a little pressure switch at the back that initiates the card reader to turn on and read your card ( at least to my knowledge thats how they work) this is why you need to use a card that does not have a magnetic strip on it or it will try to read that card and will not allow you to use your samsung pay because it will be reading the info from the magnetic strip on the card you inserted.

Read all instructions before attempting.

Things you will need to do this
1: some card with no magnetic strip, this will allow the card reader to turn on and start accepting your card info from your phone
( i use my ID, any cc sized card without a mag strip will work though)

2: a phone able to use samsung pay

3: a pay at the pump gas pump lol

step 1: Get your card out and ready to use

step 2: get your samsung pay up and initiate the transaction. do whatever method of verification you have set to initiate the phone sending the data to the card reader

step 3: quickly insert your card into the card reader and pull it out just like you normally would with your CC, or if it is one that requires you to leave your card in then leave it in.

step 4: hold your phone up to said card reader so it sends the data to the reader

step 5: enjoy the reward points and the awesome feeling of being able to use your phone at the pump :)

Has worked for me everytime i have used this method and have it down pat to where it works everytime.

if you have any questions feel free to ask, also feel free to post any feedback and if this method has helped you achieve using samsung pay at the gas pump.

Last edited:

Boosted Veteran

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Yes. You cannot hack Samsung pay. Each time you use it, it creates a card number that echos upon use.

What he said, and you still have all the protections of your Card carrier with getting charges refunded should that happen. Even though it shouldnt with the card number changing each transaction

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I may attempt to make a video tutorial on this the next time i do it.

Perhaps you should do a video. I tried your procedure at two different gas stations, without success. As soon as you put a non credit card in and remove it, you get prompted to insert it again. I tried passing the back of my phone with Samsung pay over the slot anyway and then was prompted to see cashier. The stations I tried were Speedway and Shell.

Boosted Veteran

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps you should do a video. I tried your procedure at two different gas stations, without success. As soon as you put a non credit card in and remove it, you get prompted to insert it again. I tried passing the back of my phone with Samsung pay over the slot anyway and then was prompted to see cashier. The stations I tried were Speedway and Shell.

Sounds like you didnt get your phone up to the card reader fast enough, my phone is usually right next to the card reader when i insert and remove my card, that way as soon as my card comes out, my phone is already right there sending the data to the card reader

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you didnt get your phone up to the card reader fast enough, my phone is usually right next to the card reader when i insert and remove my card, that way as soon as my card comes out, my phone is already right there sending the data to the card reader

I couldn't have been any faster with my phone, unless placing the phone over the card slot isn't the right place. Perhaps, I am using the wrong kind of a card. I used a plastic library card which had no strip on it.

Boosted Veteran

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
re-reading your post, sounds like maybe try a different card, it shouldnt be messing with anything if it doesnt have a strip. but you shouldnt be getting an error message right away after pulling your card out. unless maybe your phone wasnt in the right position, i dont know how you had yours placed but i usually put the center of my phone on the reader slot.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
re-reading your post, sounds like maybe try a different card, it shouldnt be messing with anything if it doesnt have a strip. but you shouldnt be getting an error message right away after pulling your card out. unless maybe your phone wasnt in the right position, i dont know how you had yours placed but i usually put the center of my phone on the reader slot.

I HAVE tried different non magnetic cards. .(BTW, the Ohio driver license has a magnetic strip. So I can't use that)

Will it work if you almost simultaneously put the card in and place the phone over the slot, before pulling out the card? (I haven't tried that.)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you didnt get your phone up to the card reader fast enough

I have never gotten it to work at pumps with the new tamper-resistant card reader that are flush with the face of the pump. I've had nearly 100% success though other than at those. My Gear S3 watch works very well too.

I think here in New Jersey we are the only state that has full service gas stations

I believe Oregon has full service as well.

I HAVE tried different non magnetic cards. .(BTW, the Ohio driver license has a magnetic strip. So I can't use that)

You can use any card. If it has a magnetic strip, turn it over so the strip is at the bottom.

Boosted Veteran

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I have never gotten it to work at pumps with the new tamper-resistant card reader that are flush with the face of the pump. I've had nearly 100% success though other than at those. My Gear S3 watch works very well too.

I havent run into any of that style yet so i can't give any input on that style. I have had 100% success on the ones that stick out "like a brick" though

I believe Oregon has full service as well.

I know a couple states require that

You can use any card. If it has a magnetic strip, turn it over so the strip is at the bottom.

That could work too, just turn the strip away from where the reader is.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have tried this now at 5 different gas stations. It just doesn't work for me, whether there is a flush card reader or not. I just wonder what state you live in and which gas stations, specifically, work for you, Maybe that makes a difference.

Or, maybe I am leaving the card in the slot a moment too long, before pulling it out and putting phone up to the reader, because I get an error message immediately.
A video would be a great help.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Used mine at the pump for the first time a couple days ago. LOVE IT

Then yesterday, I didn't have my.wallet and searched my car for any card...pnly found a Tmobile unused sim card in the credit card size punch out thing. It almost worked but didn't go through. Darn it that would've been cool lol.

When I used the other day successfully I used with my license in the pump

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie