This is interesting, just bought a Note 8 AT&T for me and a S8 for my son, and the Ok Google Wake Up Command when the screen is off only works on the Note 8 but not on the S8. All settings are the exact same with secure lock, OK Google allowed on the Google Ap, etc. Wondering why Samsung would do this? Anyone else have a similar experience?
    12-23-2017 03:23 PM
    That is one of the differences between Android 7.0 (S8) and 7.1 (Note8). It should be fixed when the s8 gets upgraded to Oreo.
    12-23-2017 03:41 PM
    This is interesting, just bought a Note 8 AT&T for me and a S8 for my son, and the Ok Google Wake Up Command when the screen is off only works on the Note 8 but not on the S8. All settings are the exact same with secure lock, OK Google allowed on the Google Ap, etc. Wondering why Samsung would do this? Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Your fortunate it works with your N8. It doesn't work with mine or most who are on Verizon, unless you repeat the command a few times.
    12-23-2017 06:06 PM
    Your fortunate it works with your N8. It doesn't work with mine or most who are on Verizon, unless you repeat the command a few times.
    Just something to check/try: Do you have Cortana installed? If so, try uninstalling it. On mine, neither Bixby nor Google would recognize their wake-up words, but after uninstalling Cortana, everything worked as expected. I think there may be contention between all the programs that listen for wake-up words. I am with Verizon as well.
    12-23-2017 09:28 PM
    I'm with AT&T. I have not installed Bixby yet as I'm paranoid I'll lose my OK Google with screen off feature on my Note 8. This is an area Samsung needs to just realize Google has them beat and forget Bixby IMHO.
    01-06-2018 03:04 PM
    "I'm with AT&T. I have not installed Bixby yet as I'm paranoid I'll lose my OK Google with screen off feature on my Note 8. This is an area Samsung needs to just realize Google has them beat and forget Bixby IMHO."

I use both without issue. Google Assistant and Bixby have different uses. Bixby does things that Assistant can't and vice versa. Neither one has the other beat. They compliment each other really well.
    j_hansen likes this.
    01-06-2018 05:00 PM
    "I'm with AT&T. I have not installed Bixby yet as I'm paranoid I'll lose my OK Google with screen off feature on my Note 8. This is an area Samsung needs to just realize Google has them beat and forget Bixby IMHO."

I use both without issue. Google Assistant and Bixby have different uses. Bixby does things that Assistant can't and vice versa. Neither one has the other beat. They compliment each other really well.
    Guess I should give Bixby a try sometime. Just have not seen many positive reviews but can't speak from personal experience.
    01-06-2018 07:45 PM
    Guess I should give Bixby a try sometime. Just have not seen many positive reviews but can't speak from personal experience.
    Definitely try for yourself. I see those same negative reviews. As someone that actually uses Bixby, I can tell that most of those people have not actually used it. The things they say don't add up to reality. I see it in the forums too. People don't like the button. I can understand that. I'm all about choice and Samsung is kinda pushing Bixby on users, but like I said before, it's a nice compliment to Assistant.
    01-06-2018 10:09 PM
    Your son's S8 will be able to unlock from AOD or when the screen is off using OK Google when it gets Oreo.
    I'm in the Samsung Oreo Beta and it's worked since Beta 2 for my S8.
    01-07-2018 12:45 PM
    Your son's S8 will be able to unlock from AOD or when the screen is off using OK Google when it gets Oreo.
    I'm in the Samsung Oreo Beta and it's worked since Beta 2 for my S8.
    Thanks Mary Beth Hale, that will make my son happy. We finally switched from Iphones to Android this year, love my Note!
    mary beth hale likes this.
    01-07-2018 01:24 PM
    Just something to check/try: Do you have Cortana installed? If so, try uninstalling it. On mine, neither Bixby nor Google would recognize their wake-up words, but after uninstalling Cortana, everything worked as expected. I think there may be contention between all the programs that listen for wake-up words. I am with Verizon as well.
    You can keep Cortana installed, just don't allow the permission to listen for commands. If you allow that, it will block voice wake-up commands for Google and/or Bixby. You can, however, access Cortana using the app or the Cortana microphone icon without any issues.
    01-07-2018 01:36 PM
    Definitely try for yourself. I see those same negative reviews. As someone that actually uses Bixby, I can tell that most of those people have not actually used it. The things they say don't add up to reality. I see it in the forums too. People don't like the button. I can understand that. I'm all about choice and Samsung is kinda pushing Bixby on users, but like I said before, it's a nice compliment to Assistant.
    Thanks so much for your reply. Still haven't pulled the trigger on setting up Bixby yet as there's a nagging part of me that says having 2 active and always listening assistants on board could be a recipe for problems. I rely on OK Google so much, I'm simply afraid to screw it up for good. Probably that's just my own personal hang up, and I certainly have no facts to back this up. It sounds like for you the two are complimentary and not competing against each other. How long have you successfully used both, and what carrier are you on?
    01-12-2018 12:31 PM
    If you press the lock button on the side of the phone do the screen lights up then say OK Google it'll work on the S8. Not ideal but a temporary fix until oreo
    01-12-2018 12:49 PM
    Thanks so much for your reply. Still haven't pulled the trigger on setting up Bixby yet as there's a nagging part of me that says having 2 active and always listening assistants on board could be a recipe for problems. I rely on OK Google so much, I'm simply afraid to screw it up for good. Probably that's just my own personal hang up, and I certainly have no facts to back this up. It sounds like for you the two are complimentary and not competing against each other. How long have you successfully used both, and what carrier are you on?
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I use Google Assistant more than Bixby so I wouldn't want to mess it up either. I have really only been using Bixby for a couple months. I wasn't sold on it right away, but then I realized it's not trying to be Google Assistant. I use it to control the phone mostly. Opening apps, adjusting settings for bed, morning, workout, car,etc... I have definitely noticed that Bixby gets smarter the more you use it. I think some people use it one time, it doesn't work perfect, and they give up. It's artificial intelligence, it won't work perfectly. It will work better the more you use it though.

I have been on Verizon for 23 years. At least that's what the rep told me last time I had to call for something.
    Shark1222 likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:26 PM
    look at bixby as your device assistant and google as your online assistant, personally I like the bixby button but people also call me weird ;-)
    01-14-2018 10:44 PM
    look at bixby as your device assistant and google as your online assistant, personally I like the bixby button but people also call me weird ;-)
    I'm the same.
    01-15-2018 11:51 AM
    I have noticed that if I use OK Google when the screen is off that it works the first time. If the phone goes into sleep mode and I say OK Google again, it won't unlock the phone and execute the command. For example, I use Ok Google to control Youtube TV streaming to Chromecast. I can change the Youtube channel the first time, but I cannot every subsequent time unless I unlock my phone manually.
    01-18-2018 06:29 AM
    I agree (not the part that you're weird).
    01-21-2018 10:44 AM
    Exactly. I swear I have said this 100 times in the last few months. People complain about it without really trying to see if it could be useful to them.
    01-21-2018 11:59 AM
    In device maintenance set battery saving mode to off. If it is set to Mid or Max it kills the OK Google.
    01-21-2018 04:57 PM
    I just moved from the S8+ to the Note 8 so this is good to know , cheers , and I just did an OK Google and went through the set up 👍
    01-22-2018 05:52 AM