02-24-2018 11:27 AM
213 ... 6789
tools
    I liked tablets in the past but i cant really justify a tablet now, I have 2 laptops and kindle E-reader plus my phone. My phone has become my ultra portable computer for internet cruising etc when I dont have my laptop with me. Too much overlap for me, I think larger screen phones ate into the tablet market
    I agree too. Especially when the iPhone 6+ came out.

This could be why Samsung is not making a flagship tablet every year now. Simply not enough sales, hence put more of the energy into the Galaxy phone line.

The 3 tablets I've had each collect dust after a few months, especially when I got the S8 Plus.
    callihan_44 likes this.
    01-04-2018 06:33 PM
    After getting the Note 8 my Tab S3 has been collecting dust. Picked up a used 128gb Ipad mini 4 cheap for my DJI Spark and really liking the form factor. I take the ipad with me on quick trips for reading and show watching.
    01-04-2018 08:10 PM
    There's a place for desktops and laptops and phones. I like Surfaces and Chromebooks but I think they try to do too much in trying to be both a laptop and tablet and lean towards laptop due to their size and configuration.

But I guess, for me and my opinion, for sitting back in a chair or sofa or bed or hammock, nothing beats the true tablet size and form factor for that one handed reading like you would a good book or magazine. Note is OK but around the house the iPad size is so much easier on the eyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Any of you also use a tablet-20180104_204202.jpg  
    jjinal and burrzoo like this.
    01-04-2018 08:51 PM
    There's a place for desktops and laptops and phones. I like Surfaces and Chromebooks but I think they try to do too much in trying to be both a laptop and tablet and lean towards laptop due to their size and configuration.

But I guess, for me and my opinion, for sitting back in a chair or sofa or bed or hammock, nothing beats the true tablet size and form factor for that one handed reading like you would a good book or magazine. Note is OK but around the house the iPad size is so much easier on the eyes.
    Same for my Note ProAny of you also use a tablet-20180104_190350.jpg
    donm527, jjinal, burrzoo and 1 others like this.
    01-04-2018 10:06 PM
    I ditched my laptop for a W10 2-in-1 back in September. One of the best choices I made all year. Got a great closeout price on an Acer Switch Alpha 12. I'll never go back to the good enough laptop spec again. Buying $300 - $400 laptops on sale is a waste of time in today's tech market.

When W10 was still prepping to launch, a Bing Rewards deal got me a $300 Dell with Core i3, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, a 720p 15.6" touchscreen display and 3 USB ports only one of which was 3.0.

Fast forward to this past September and I got a major performance boost for $574 with the Acer: Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, a 2k touchscreen with pen support and a USB A 3.0 + a Type C port. The detachable keyboard is an almost 1:1 Surface 4 clone and a great typing experience.

Rounded it out with some accessories. I already had a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse. Add a quality microSD card, a $20 fingerprint reader that sits in the 3.0 port and a $40 hub that plugs into the Type C port which gives me: 2x 3.0 ports, a Type C port, HDMI and both standard and micro sized SD slots. I also splurged and picked up a Type C connectable Samsung T3 SSD in 250GB.

The cold boot + log in time is under 10 seconds with the fingerprint reader. Multitasking and daily chores are accomplished with aplomb. Inking is a good addition to the arsenal. It travels well and was a champ on my 2 weeks in Portugal as I kept everything organized and curated/edited my huge allotment of daily pictures. I don't play a whole lot of games, but the few I've dabbled with on the 12" 2k touchscreen have been very pleasurable. I stream lots of content off of Amazon Prime, Sling TV and other sources and the screen size is not really holding me back one bit. I probably stream more now than I have in the past.

Point is you can get a lot of power and flexibility... If you opt for just a straight Windows 10 Tablet, you might find yourself adding a keyboard and mouse anyway. You might want to think about a 2-in-1 in the Surface/Surface clone range.

Get a Win 10 tablet only if you know you will need the occasional Windows program. And avoid the ones with removable keyboards, and avoid Intel Atom chips.

I have an Asus Transformer Mini T102HA (1.4ghz Atom, 4gb Ram, 64gb storage + microSD slot) that I got last Holiday season. Looks like a Microsoft Surface with the kickstand and the removable keyboard. Full sized USB 3 port for my portable HD gives me tons of media storage, and charging over MicroUSB beats a laptop's power brick anyday.

However, cheap Win10 tablets have many cons. Every time I disconnect the keyboard to move it, the screen goes into 'autorotate' and the slightest shift in angle makes the screen do an annoying slow rotation transition that resizes all windows. very annoying for me.

the Intel Atom X5 chipset that Asus used only let me have a few Firefox tabs open before slowing way down, though it's fine for media consumption. (it will play by BluRay handbrake ripped 1080p H265 encoded videos just fine. My Nexus 7 2013 would stutter with these videos)

Asus also used a cheap Qualcomm WiFi chipset that only gave me 1-2 mbit download speed (even when I USB tether to a Pixel XL for internet) until I managed to find a Lenovo (really, Lenovo?) driver that got me the 50 mbit that my FiOS home and T-Mobile internet provides.

I would spend extra money a Win 10 convertible with a proper Intel i5 chip, and get at least 8gb ram to do anything productive on it. The cheap ones are fine for media consumption, but so is a sub $200 1080p 10" 2017 Amazon Fire HD.

Yea, use my Surface 3 every day. 128G LTE model. It's what I'm on right now. About the size of a 10.5 iPad Pro but way thicker, but has a kickstand, an SD slot, pen, keyboard, mouse support, HDMI out and USB. Charges via micro-USB. Way cheaper than a comparable iPad too. Even when it was new. Shame they don't make them anymore.
    Some have noted Surface Pros and their various clones. Good ones are in a different price bracket than a decent Android tablet. Cheap ones exist. You need to be wanting Windows to go that route. Nothing wrong with that, just that what many want Windows for (Office) is pretty good on iOS and Android these days. You aren't running Photoshop on Android and iOS either, but there are pretty decent similar options.
    Guess you need to answer, what you need to do on a tablet, how big is big, and what you are willing to spend to go the Windows route.

What you guys described is exactly I am looking for - a full functioning Windows 10 laptop with a real keyboard and touch screen, and I definitely agree with at least an i5 core chip, 8gb of ram and 256gb of ssd.

I received a Surface Pro 4 as a Christmas gift but I do not like ithe keyboard and the switch between tablet mode and laptop mode can be a little tedious, so I am returning it to exchange for another item.

Looking at a Lenovo Yoga 920 hybrid on sale and it is somewhat less expensive than a similarly equipped Surface Book. Seeing that I do not need a detachable keyboard I think it might be a good choice.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-05-2018 02:00 AM
    To answer OP’s question, I have a dual boot Android and Windows 10 tablet that mostly used for consumption plus some light weight work. There are also a couple of employer provided iPads with cellular data used mostly for work.
    01-05-2018 02:05 AM
    My Notebook 5 is Intel Core I5, 8 Gb ram, touch screen, real keyboard. My keyboard doesn't detach or fold backwards but that's fine with me. I believe it has a 1 TB harddrive too.
    jjinal, Saskat and Gray Area like this.
    01-05-2018 04:59 AM
    My Notebook 5 is Intel Core I5, 8 Gb ram, touch screen, real keyboard. My keyboard doesn't detach or fold backwards but that's fine with me. I believe it has a 1 TB harddrive too.
    That's a nice one. Do they make one with a SSD? I've decided to quit buying the old style hard drives in favor of SSD
    01-05-2018 12:52 PM
    I use the Tab s 10 inch I think. It's old so I don't remember. When it needs to be replaced I'm thinking about the Samsung Chromebook.
    01-08-2018 07:41 PM
    tab s3 I use in fact I've completely done away with my laptop
    Me too, lol. I use my phone or my TabS.
    01-08-2018 07:42 PM
    I recently got the Tab S3 too,but not the keyboard. I'm wondering if this tablet & keyboard (and Note 8) could replace my dying computer for awhile..?
    Ya know, I think it could replace a pc but it depends on what type of work you want to do on it. You don't have to get the keyboard case, a Bluetooth keyboard that you like should work. Pair up with a wireless printer and you're all set.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    01-11-2018 01:54 AM
    There is one game in particular - WGT Golf - that is quite restricted on my phone and on the tablets I've used. On my Notebook 5 laptop, it's fully functional and works like a charm. There's a use for all three really - for me at least for the time being, my NOte 8 of course, and my Notebook 5 laptop. I may end up getting a tablet in the future sometime again though.
    01-11-2018 05:01 AM
    Lol you called yourself a Weirdo. We're all in that grouping I think lol

Love my Note 8, the new Tab S3, and this keyboard I got today for it- Getting the case for the tablet tomorrow. Also have the S3 Frontier watch. Love tech stuff.Attachment 276721
    Lol you described me to a T! I am a Samsung freak, this is my list:

Phones
    -------------
    Note 8
    S7 Edge (going to sell it)
    S6 Edge (work phone, will be getting S9 soon)
    Note 3 (I missed the sell window so I mess with it from time to time, lol)

Tablets
    --------------
    Galaxy Tab Pro S
    Galaxy Tab S2 9.7
    Galaxy Tab E 8.0 (My 4G car radio, lol)
    Galaxy Tab E 8.0 (work tab, it was free, lol)
    Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (missed the sell window)

Smart watches
    --------------------------
    Galaxy Gear (the first Samsung smart watch, I couldn't part with her )
    Galaxy Gear S (I like to wear it every now and then, plus it can be stand alone when I want to go without the phone)
    Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier (by far my favorite watch, ever)

And this list isn't including all of the accessories I own, lol

Now to keep on the topic, the Tab Pro S is more like a laptop than a tablet, so I can't use that like I can my S2 or one of my E's. I wouldn't recommend the Tab E for anything more then surfing the web or social media, that's why I love it in my car, especially with 4G, I can listen to my Google play without having to tether my phone. I would love to one day do the tablet head unit mod, because that would be the ultimate head unit!
    01-11-2018 07:31 AM
    Does Surface count? used mostly in tablet form.
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-11-2018 09:37 AM
    I saw this article from last month hinting in Feb the tab s4 will be unveiled. Should I wait on the tab s3 purchase, or is this just a bogus rumor?

Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 Specs, Release Date and Price – Tech Prophesy
    01-11-2018 11:47 AM
    What does everyone think about buying an open Box from somewhere like Best Buy if the price is good? If I'm using it for a business and customers will touch it, would it be a better buy?
    01-11-2018 02:53 PM
    There is always something better around the corner....LOL. I would go as long as I could because even if the S3 meets your need the price drops each month and if they do announce it the Tab S3 price will drop quick.
    01-11-2018 03:06 PM
    Well I just scored an amazing deal on Facebook market. Grabbed a Samsung galaxy tab E 9.6inch for $50! Other than a very minor scratch on the screen its in excellent condition. I will be using it for games and reading. My Lenovo tab 3 8inch will be put to light duty as a dedicated kitchen companion to my Google home speaker.
    01-19-2018 01:17 PM
    And they are correct. Why use something expensive and flashy when a cheaper and more practical alternative will suffice. It's like a car. A $4,000 used, but mechanically sound car, will get you to your destination just as well as a $40,000 new car will. Yes, I know that a $4,000 used car is not as flashy or cool as the $40,000 one.
    This my friend is why I drive a 10yr old paid for Hyundai! Lol I plan to save my flash until I am able to purchase a Corvette or Cadillac cts-v coupe. So it's going to be awhile.
    01-19-2018 01:21 PM
    Well I plan on selling tech stuff like flashlights, speakers, cell cases, chargers, power banks, digital cameras (lower end ones), ear buds and other cheap stuff. I figured if I sell tech accessories and that I need to have the latest tech gear. Granted I got the Note 8 though which can be used to run charge cards with square but no way in hell am I handing a stranger my Note 8 to sign and drop lol.
    Lol understandable
    01-19-2018 01:22 PM
    This my friend is why I drive a 10yr old paid for Hyundai! Lol I plan to save my flash until I am able to purchase a Corvette or Cadillac cts-v coupe. So it's going to be awhile.
    I did the same thing. My last car I had for 14 years until it broke to the point of being super expensive to repair... that is when I finally bought my new truck.
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-19-2018 03:16 PM
    That's so funny :-)
    my hyundai sonata is from 2003, cost me 750 quid 2 1/2 years ago and it's still perfect.
    My first note 8 was 230 quid more expensive than my car :-)
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-19-2018 03:29 PM
    My dad just ordered a tablet off QVC or HSN, forgot the name of it but it's one of those lesser name brands. He paid about $300 but it came with the keyboard case, and lifetime 4g coverage which is really nice, but of course being an overall low end tablet it is a POS. Anyway, a few days after getting his apps on it and using the tablet it has been going REALLY slow and hangs up a lot under heavy use. I warned him he probably wouldn't like it when he got it.

Anyway, he called them and they're sending him a return box to ship the POS back to them and get his refund. He has a Galaxy tablet from summer 2013 that finally was going out on him and not holding a charge.

Well me wanting the Tab s3 for my business to use as my cash register to run square on, I asked him if he wanted my Tab s2, 8 inch version. He played around with it and likes how it's so much faster and has AMOLED compared to his previous tablets. He offered me $275 towards a tab s3 so I'm jumping all over that LOL. That's a great deal for a used tablet I've had for almost 2 years now. Granted it's in mint condition from being in a Poetic case and hardly being used the last 12 months.
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-19-2018 11:34 PM
    I use the 12.9 iPad pro (2nd gen) I use it mostly as a replacement to my surface pro. battery life is much better!

I honestly like iOS better than android, but the Note 8 is an awesome phone and I use the stylist a lot.
    01-20-2018 12:23 AM
    That's so funny :-)
    my hyundai sonata is from 2003, cost me 750 quid 2 1/2 years ago and it's still perfect.
    My first note 8 was 230 quid more expensive than my car :-)
    Hilarious and awesome!
    01-20-2018 02:25 PM
213 ... 6789