Any of you also use a tablet

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Does that Samsung Notebook 9 Pro can you also run android on it? That thing looks neat but expensive. Would that be good for my fleamarket shop?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Not sure - I have the Notebook 5 version laptop. I have samsung messages on it - what do you mean run android on it?

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Notebooks 5, 7, 9, 9 Pro, etc. are windows laptops that do not run Android applications. A Samsung Chromebook Plus and Chromebook Pro run Chrome OS and Android applications simultaneously.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Any Note 8 owners also use a tablet? If so, which one? I was thinking about getting a tablet to complement my Note 8. There are a few locally very reasonably priced.

I don't use any tablets anymore because the Note 8 is a smartphone and tablet all in one. When others have complained about the price point of the Note 8 I don't because I have saved money not having to buy a tablet. When I had an iPhone I need an iPad to accompany it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't use any tablets anymore because the Note 8 is a smartphone and tablet all in one. When others have complained about the price point of the Note 8 I don't because I have saved money not having to buy a tablet. When I had an iPhone I need an iPad to accompany it.

Yea, when I bought another tablet the s2, I used it for a couple months but ended up just using my Note 5 all the time because of the big screen and the s2 collected dust. When the recall happened for the Note 7 I used it a bit when I had to get an s7 edge. Otherwise when the s8 Plus came out the Tab s2 went back to collecting dust again.

I would think this is why Samsung is releasing tablets every two years now for the S line. Demand just isn't there for tablets anymore with these jumbo sized phone screens.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I had the iPhone 7 plus, i use both the iPhone and the iPad Air, but since I switch to Android, I rarely use my iPad Air now. Especailly with iOS 11 being so slow and buggy, it makes me stick to my Note 8. I was thinking at one point of getting a Samsung tablet, but the Note 8 does it job.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
It's funny cause I am team Samsung when it comes to phones and team Apple when it comes to tablets and laptops. I have the Note8 and the iPad Pro 10.5" (got it for Christmas) before this I had the iPad mini 2. I use the iPad for reading, writing (handwritten and typing), watching videos, gameplay, etc. It comes in handy before bed after a long day at work when I don't feel like pulling out my MacBook Pro. My Note8 I use primarily when I'm out of the house and to play games (I play a lot of games on my phone). Overall, it's like having the best of both worlds. I won't ever get an iPhone and won't ever get a Samsung tablet. This setup is exactly what fits my needs and wants.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I liked tablets in the past but i cant really justify a tablet now, I have 2 laptops and kindle E-reader plus my phone. My phone has become my ultra portable computer for internet cruising etc when I dont have my laptop with me. Too much overlap for me, I think larger screen phones ate into the tablet market

gregg6942

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any of you also usr a tablet

I love that keyboard case! No need to charge it up and the key presses have a really good feel to me. Very responsive too.
Are you happy with the keyboard too?

I recently got the Tab S3 too,but not the keyboard. I'm wondering if this tablet & keyboard (and Note 8) could replace my dying computer for awhile..?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I liked tablets in the past but i cant really justify a tablet now, I have 2 laptops and kindle E-reader plus my phone. My phone has become my ultra portable computer for internet cruising etc when I dont have my laptop with me. Too much overlap for me, I think larger screen phones ate into the tablet market

I agree too. Especially when the iPhone 6+ came out.

This could be why Samsung is not making a flagship tablet every year now. Simply not enough sales, hence put more of the energy into the Galaxy phone line.

The 3 tablets I've had each collect dust after a few months, especially when I got the S8 Plus.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
After getting the Note 8 my Tab S3 has been collecting dust. Picked up a used 128gb Ipad mini 4 cheap for my DJI Spark and really liking the form factor. I take the ipad with me on quick trips for reading and show watching.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
There's a place for desktops and laptops and phones. I like Surfaces and Chromebooks but I think they try to do too much in trying to be both a laptop and tablet and lean towards laptop due to their size and configuration.

But I guess, for me and my opinion, for sitting back in a chair or sofa or bed or hammock, nothing beats the true tablet size and form factor for that one handed reading like you would a good book or magazine. Note is OK but around the house the iPad size is so much easier on the eyes.

Attachments

• 20180104_204202.jpg
    20180104_204202.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 38

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
There's a place for desktops and laptops and phones. I like Surfaces and Chromebooks but I think they try to do too much in trying to be both a laptop and tablet and lean towards laptop due to their size and configuration.

But I guess, for me and my opinion, for sitting back in a chair or sofa or bed or hammock, nothing beats the true tablet size and form factor for that one handed reading like you would a good book or magazine. Note is OK but around the house the iPad size is so much easier on the eyes.
Same for my Note Pro20180104_190350.jpg

Saskat

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
Re: Any of you also usr a tablet

I ditched my laptop for a W10 2-in-1 back in September. One of the best choices I made all year. Got a great closeout price on an Acer Switch Alpha 12. I'll never go back to the good enough laptop spec again. Buying $300 - $400 laptops on sale is a waste of time in today's tech market.

When W10 was still prepping to launch, a Bing Rewards deal got me a $300 Dell with Core i3, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, a 720p 15.6" touchscreen display and 3 USB ports only one of which was 3.0.

Fast forward to this past September and I got a major performance boost for $574 with the Acer: Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, a 2k touchscreen with pen support and a USB A 3.0 + a Type C port. The detachable keyboard is an almost 1:1 Surface 4 clone and a great typing experience.

Rounded it out with some accessories. I already had a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse. Add a quality microSD card, a $20 fingerprint reader that sits in the 3.0 port and a $40 hub that plugs into the Type C port which gives me: 2x 3.0 ports, a Type C port, HDMI and both standard and micro sized SD slots. I also splurged and picked up a Type C connectable Samsung T3 SSD in 250GB.

The cold boot + log in time is under 10 seconds with the fingerprint reader. Multitasking and daily chores are accomplished with aplomb. Inking is a good addition to the arsenal. It travels well and was a champ on my 2 weeks in Portugal as I kept everything organized and curated/edited my huge allotment of daily pictures. I don't play a whole lot of games, but the few I've dabbled with on the 12" 2k touchscreen have been very pleasurable. I stream lots of content off of Amazon Prime, Sling TV and other sources and the screen size is not really holding me back one bit. I probably stream more now than I have in the past.

Point is you can get a lot of power and flexibility... If you opt for just a straight Windows 10 Tablet, you might find yourself adding a keyboard and mouse anyway. You might want to think about a 2-in-1 in the Surface/Surface clone range.

Get a Win 10 tablet only if you know you will need the occasional Windows program. And avoid the ones with removable keyboards, and avoid Intel Atom chips.

I have an Asus Transformer Mini T102HA (1.4ghz Atom, 4gb Ram, 64gb storage + microSD slot) that I got last Holiday season. Looks like a Microsoft Surface with the kickstand and the removable keyboard. Full sized USB 3 port for my portable HD gives me tons of media storage, and charging over MicroUSB beats a laptop's power brick anyday.

However, cheap Win10 tablets have many cons. Every time I disconnect the keyboard to move it, the screen goes into 'autorotate' and the slightest shift in angle makes the screen do an annoying slow rotation transition that resizes all windows. very annoying for me.

the Intel Atom X5 chipset that Asus used only let me have a few Firefox tabs open before slowing way down, though it's fine for media consumption. (it will play by BluRay handbrake ripped 1080p H265 encoded videos just fine. My Nexus 7 2013 would stutter with these videos)

Asus also used a cheap Qualcomm WiFi chipset that only gave me 1-2 mbit download speed (even when I USB tether to a Pixel XL for internet) until I managed to find a Lenovo (really, Lenovo?) driver that got me the 50 mbit that my FiOS home and T-Mobile internet provides.

I would spend extra money a Win 10 convertible with a proper Intel i5 chip, and get at least 8gb ram to do anything productive on it. The cheap ones are fine for media consumption, but so is a sub $200 1080p 10" 2017 Amazon Fire HD.

Yea, use my Surface 3 every day. 128G LTE model. It's what I'm on right now. About the size of a 10.5 iPad Pro but way thicker, but has a kickstand, an SD slot, pen, keyboard, mouse support, HDMI out and USB. Charges via micro-USB. Way cheaper than a comparable iPad too. Even when it was new. Shame they don't make them anymore.
Some have noted Surface Pros and their various clones. Good ones are in a different price bracket than a decent Android tablet. Cheap ones exist. You need to be wanting Windows to go that route. Nothing wrong with that, just that what many want Windows for (Office) is pretty good on iOS and Android these days. You aren't running Photoshop on Android and iOS either, but there are pretty decent similar options.
Guess you need to answer, what you need to do on a tablet, how big is big, and what you are willing to spend to go the Windows route.

What you guys described is exactly I am looking for - a full functioning Windows 10 laptop with a real keyboard and touch screen, and I definitely agree with at least an i5 core chip, 8gb of ram and 256gb of ssd.

I received a Surface Pro 4 as a Christmas gift but I do not like ithe keyboard and the switch between tablet mode and laptop mode can be a little tedious, so I am returning it to exchange for another item.

Looking at a Lenovo Yoga 920 hybrid on sale and it is somewhat less expensive than a similarly equipped Surface Book. Seeing that I do not need a detachable keyboard I think it might be a good choice.

Last edited: