01-15-2018 11:41 AM
203 123 ...
tools
    why is it such a big deal? stock experience is kind of boring. take out all the fun stuff and give you only the basic's. Basic phone with a heavy price tag..
    OLED screen is cheap aswell.
    Don't you think Google is getting abit greedy now?

this is comparing Pixel 2 XL to Note 8 or s8+
    12-24-2017 10:05 PM
    There's really no stock Android anymore. Even the pixel comes with Google's own launcher now.

But I get what you mean and for me it's just way smoother and everything to me is just clean and minimalist like I try to live my life.
    12-24-2017 10:08 PM
    It's the duplicate apps. If only all these OEMs stop investing in building their own dialers, messages and many more and just use Google apps. They could have those in the Play Store as an optional download but baking it into the firmware is where it gets problematic.

This is the biggest reason folks choose Pixel over other Android phones. However you can now see many companies actually use default apps like Essential, Motorola etc., HTC is still mixed and hopefully they will move in that direction as well.
    12-24-2017 10:17 PM
    i notice lots of tech YouTubers, tech bloggers, recommend stock Android alot.
    Note 8 is also fast UI..so pixel 2 XL can't be for the speed that so many people recommend it.
    Am thinking these kind of people like rooting, jail breaking, kernels, with they phone.
    only reason i can see for stock android is for fast updates. for a average/normal user
    12-24-2017 10:20 PM
    ok i see. thanks for your reply.
    12-24-2017 10:22 PM
    i notice lots of tech YouTubers, tech bloggers, recommend stock Android alot.
    Note 8 is also fast UI..so pixel 2 XL can't be for the speed that so many people recommend it.
    Am thinking these kind of people like rooting, jail breaking, kernels, with they phone.
    only reason i can see for stock android is for fast updates. for a average/normal user
    I had 3 note 8s (one slowed severely after 3 days with barely any apps and was still slow after a wipe, 2nd had faulty ram and only had a Max of 5gb instead of 6 and third had too many stutters and lag for me at that price along with frame drops). They're fast on benchmarks and speed tests but in everyday use the 2xl was just better to me.

Funny thing with them is actually I see the big ones push note 8 as King basically but use the pixel as their daily driver. I push the note 8 myself as the best android phone for 2017 but I would still choose the pixel any other day of the week.
    12-24-2017 10:28 PM
    It's the duplicate apps. If only all these OEMs stop investing in building their own dialers, messages and many more and just use Google apps. They could have those in the Play Store as an optional download but baking it into the firmware is where it gets problematic.

This is the biggest reason folks choose Pixel over other Android phones. However you can now see many companies actually use default apps like Essential, Motorola etc., HTC is still mixed and hopefully they will move in that direction as well.
    Each to his own. In some ways some manufacturer apps are superior to Google's. It's quite often that I see some people looking for features that's native to a manufacturer app but not on Google's.

Honestly I like a lot of Samsung's apps over Google's.
    12-24-2017 10:51 PM
    Each to his own. In some ways some manufacturer apps are superior to Google's. It's quite often that I see some people looking for features that's native to a manufacturer app but not on Google's.

Sure but as long as users can uninstall and switch apps, then it's all good. Problem comes with apps pre-installed in the phone that cannot be uninstalled.
    12-24-2017 11:16 PM
    Jeeze, that's a lot of note 8 issues! How did you discover that one of the gb of RAM wasn't working?
    Gray Area likes this.
    12-24-2017 11:17 PM

I'm the complete opposite. I use Google apps over Samsung. Google apps work on any Android phone and even iPhone. No way I'd get stuck with Samsung ones since I'd be forced to Samsung then.
    DMP89145, kwambe5 and mumfoau like this.
    12-24-2017 11:36 PM
    I'm the complete opposite. I use Google apps over Samsung. Google apps work on any Android phone and even iPhone. No way I'd get stuck with Samsung ones since I'd be forced to Samsung then.
    And I'm the opposite I prefer Samsung's apps over Google. Google's apps are bloatware to me on a Samsung device.
    12-24-2017 11:43 PM
    And I'm the opposite I prefer Samsung's apps over Google. Google's apps are bloatware to me on a Samsung device.
    And that's why Android is great.. choices .
    12-24-2017 11:45 PM
    why is it such a big deal? stock experience is kind of boring. take out all the fun stuff and give you only the basic's. Basic phone with a heavy price tag..

I agree stock is boring. But that's the good thing about Android you have a choice on which flavor you like.
    jimd1050 and Smply_Rckless like this.
    12-24-2017 11:48 PM
    I understand the I prefer Google interface argument for this (this is one of my biggest peeves against Google where you can't theme the apps), what I don't understand is the I'm stuck with Samsung argument. Samsung Health syncs with Google Fit. Samsung Contacts syncs with Google. Samsung Memo can export/import with Keep. I prefer the Samsung apps because of additional features like an inbuilt call blocker for the phone app. The caller ID on Google's dialer also does not work in my country. Samsung's work.
    Sure but as long as users can uninstall and switch apps, then it's all good. Problem comes with apps pre-installed in the phone that cannot be uninstalled.
    Actually that seems to be the norm now though. I found myself downloading a lot of the Samsung apps from the Play Store. I think S Health is the one that isn't removed IIRC. I think LG and Sony is also doing this.
    Heavens1 and iSilas like this.
    12-25-2017 12:41 AM
    I fell in love with stock Android with the Nexus 6P. Such a smooth and liberating experience! Other phones at the time had janky software and some pretty bad color accents plus updates (particularly security) were very slow. The 6P has a great camera, the first for a Nexus device.

Well, things have changed now. A lot of the jank has disappeared and at least with Samsung, security updates are monthly. Also, having a pixel XL last year, yeah, stock Android get pretty boring. I love theming my Note 8.
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    12-25-2017 09:05 AM
    You wouldn't be stuck with Samsung. Most of the apps aren't "duplicate" because their Google counterparts don't come preinstalled on the phone(calendar, messages etc). I'm not advocating for the Samsung version, and I do believe the phones that are closer to stock are faster, but they aren't really duplicate apps. I have been intrigued by phones like Oneplus and Pixel, but I'm a little hesitant because my Note comes with a significant amount of "bloat" that I actually use.
    12-25-2017 09:22 AM
    I understand the I prefer Google interface argument for this (this is one of my biggest peeves against Google where you can't theme the apps), what I don't understand is the I'm stuck with Samsung argument. Samsung Health syncs with Google Fit. Samsung Contacts syncs with Google. Samsung Memo can export/import with Keep. I prefer the Samsung apps because of additional features like an inbuilt call blocker for the phone app. The caller ID on Google's dialer also does not work in my country. Samsung's work.
    Ah well that makes sense. If features don't work in your country..well of course you'd use what works. Caller ID and all that works beautifully for me including the spam protection.. All in the phone app
    12-25-2017 10:19 AM
    You wouldn't be stuck with Samsung. Most of the apps aren't "duplicate" because their Google counterparts don't come preinstalled on the phone(calendar, messages etc). I'm not advocating for the Samsung version, and I do believe the phones that are closer to stock are faster, but they aren't really duplicate apps. I have been intrigued by phones like Oneplus and Pixel, but I'm a little hesitant because my Note comes with a significant amount of "bloat" that I actually use.
    I guess I just see no use. I use the Google ones and they work / I like them. I don't see a need to shift to another app to do what I've already been doing.

Sorry just not for me.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-25-2017 10:20 AM
    I had a GS6 two years ago and it was a good phone, but I didn't like the duplicate apps. So like when I would add a name to contacts, it would appear in both Google contacts and Samsung contacts. Since I use Google primarily, having contacts two different places was muddling for me.

Samsung is rich with features, but their programming is so heavy on top of the OS, IMO. Many of the features, I just didn't have a need for. Their implementation of the back button on the right side instead of the left was irritating for me as well.
    12-25-2017 11:38 AM
    what do you think about Google pricing? soon after few years Google will be hitting £1000 and above.

i will understand the high price if Google build they own CPU and GPU. if Google had Google store/shops in every big city. if Google give users 4 years of major updates then the high price tag makes sense.
    Powerful AI.

Google software is missing themes store, (dark theme).
    Google chrome is missing AD blocker, high contrast mode.
    Always on display is not that customisable.
    don't understand why Google didn't add wireless charging.

few years back it made sense getting Google Nexus devices because the price was good, other OEM UI skin was really bad, CPU and RAM was not powerful.. but things have changed now.
    12-25-2017 11:46 AM
    what do you think about Google pricing? soon after few years Google will be hitting £1000 and above.

i will understand the high price if Google build they own CPU and GPU. if Google had Google store/shops in every big city. if Google give users 4 years of major updates then the high price tag makes sense.
    Powerful AI.

Google software is missing themes store, (dark theme).
    Google chrome is missing AD blocker, high contrast mode.
    Always on display is not that customisable.
    don't understand why Google didn't add wireless charging.

few years back it made sense getting Google Nexus devices because the price was good, other OEM UI skin was really bad, CPU and RAM was not powerful.. but things have changed now.
    For you sure. For me I find it worth it.

- powerful AI Google already has

- theme store isn't a big deal for me

- I don't use AOD even on my Samsung phones

- ad blocker is coming to chrome but I use a VPN that does this automatically

- wireless charging wasn't done due to build material. It is a convenient thing but not a "must have" for me.
    12-25-2017 12:38 PM

Yes I agree with you and some people actually drive Toyota Prius ......each to their own I guess
    12-25-2017 03:54 PM
    In the past the difference between Stock Android and the rest was much clearer to see... Companies like Samsung and HTC and LG created crap like TouchWiz and WebSense that were just terrible and with TouchWiz for example you have the infamous lag in their OS after owning it for a short time.

I personally never cared for TouchWiz and wouldnt never buy a Samsung because of it. The Note 7 was the first Samsung where I thought the UI was clean enough that I was finally willing to buy a Samsung. Before that my first Android was a Nexus 4. When you compare a UI like TouchWiz or WebSense against a clean UI like Stock Android, it's refreshing to have a clean OS like stock android.

Since then, manufacturers have since moved towards cleaner design and it's them that have moved closer to stock android. That's why I think at this point the difference is not that noticeable anymore. Note 8 UI has been great and I think they finally solved their lag issue by doing what they probably should have done a long time ago... add ram.
    12-25-2017 06:16 PM
    Less bloat, faster, smoother, visually better (IMO), apparently easier to update in a timely manner + this is Android, not iOS. The vast majority of a normal user experience comes from the Play Store, not from the OEM.

Also, giving Samsung (or LG, etc) access to user data means being subjected to their privacy policies, etc. - which, if data privacy and security are important to that user, means giving up the rights to control their own data.
    12-26-2017 10:14 AM
    If we are comparing the Pixel to all other phones, my reasons why would be this:

1. The ability to alter my device at the ROM level. Samsungs are hit and miss for what can and can't be rooted.

2. Fast updates. The newest OS version isn't necessary, but the security updates are. Depending on your carrier, you can be several months behind.

3. Minimalist design. Sure some people like everything and the kitchen sink included, but not me. The main reason is all those hooks in the ROM take more and more space for the OS.
    muzzy996 and mumfoau like this.
    12-26-2017 10:23 AM
203 123 ...