Do Samsung phones slow down over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Never let a good dead go unpunished. Bad PR and marketing by Apple legal tams vs tech side? Look at how long the issue with Note 7 took to uncover why.

If it was a CPU, ARM or Intel, reaching thermal junction point you expect throttling.

If Samsung could have jumped in and throttled the Note 7 until they sorted it out safely - i think they would have.

iPhone users are quick to jump to a conspiracy. Software always puts heavier demands on resources. And yes, sell upgrades.

I had two 6S Plus phones. The first had poor battery but wasn't part of a known batch that we're 'defective.' The 2nd, bought a year later as Apple refurbished was excellent. And iOS 10 was a better fit than 9.2.x was.

Apple IOS 9.3.5 was the one everyone hated, killed pretty much all old Apple products. They should give people a CHOICE! Not having a message pop up every hour to update.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There's also some performance problems. I remember rooting and installing a custom ROM on my old HTC MyTouch 4G. Phone was much slower. Also, there's app incompatibilities as well, especially on Google Play store.
My Note 3 FLEW on whatever ROM I was using. Then I broke the vol button and got a refurb that had been updated and could not be rooted on vzw. My Note 3 is still pretty fast but I use it factory format without latest update primarily on wifi only but occasionally I throw in a sim and use it for the day

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So funny...

After about a billion posts on forums incorporating the term "Samsung Lag" in the title, and all of the calories burned by intelligent, helpful Samsung owners trying to get less knowledgeable owners to understand how to keep their Samsung phones running fast/smooth, Apple goes and overtly, intentionally, slows down their phones.

Anyone else see the irony here??

Will this be the start of a billion posts incorporating the term "Apple Lag" for the next 10 years or so?
History says it should be.

But somehow, I think the "Lag" spotlight will inevitably, and undeservingly, swing back over to Samsung. Leaving uninformed Samsung owners to continue to chase their "Lag" tail.

I am tired just thinking about it. :)

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So if you update with official OS, you're pretty much screwed? So is hacking the way of the future now?

NO... I actually think root/rom is in the past for lots now, but back in the Note 2/3/4 days there was a big unleashed potential in the notes...that Samsung didn't give us.. but independent developers did, my note 3 was a beast rocking 2 full days of life with 10 hours of on screen time, that was unheard of back then and was thanks to the great dev. guys on xda.
I wouldn't bother with root/rom on my N8 but if I hadn't sold my N4 I would have had fun... mad fun.. making it greater

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've owned several Samsung phones over the years, and I haven't had one slow down. Samsung doesn't have the ecosystem that Apple has. It's Android phones, Chromebooks, and Windows computers are all cross platform friendly to begin with. Therefore, there would be no reason for Samsung to purposely throttle its older phones. It is easier for somebody to jump to LG, Google, Motorola, or other Android OEM if it tried.

Apple users are kind of stuck. If they don't like Apple products, they have to jump to a completely different OS or stick with Apple. Us Android users are not as stuck. If Samsung didn't produce an excellent device, I can always move to Google or LG.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
well if you have an iPong, crapple will slow it down for you over time, you don’t have to do anything yourself, they have admitted it publicly now :)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So funny...

After about a billion posts on forums incorporating the term "Samsung Lag" in the title, and all of the calories burned by intelligent, helpful Samsung owners trying to get less knowledgeable owners to understand how to keep their Samsung phones running fast/smooth, Apple goes and overtly, intentionally, slows down their phones.

Anyone else see the irony here??

Will this be the start of a billion posts incorporating the term "Apple Lag" for the next 10 years or so?
History says it should be.

But somehow, I think the "Lag" spotlight will inevitably, and undeservingly, swing back over to Samsung. Leaving uninformed Samsung owners to continue to chase their "Lag" tail.

I am tired just thinking about it. :)

Big corporations need to admit their shady business practices. We've become a slave to their products. There has to be truth. I used to work for Samsung actually at Best Buy and performed hundreds of updates, older phones that gets updated becomes nearly unusable and painfully slow when it should be capable of running faster. Why update the phone but make it slower? Security patch my butt, not worth it especially if the phone can't actually be used properly. How does age have to do with anything with the browsing performance? A processor is a processor, it should still perform the same unless the software changed.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
well if you have an iPong, crapple will slow it down for you over time, you don’t have to do anything yourself, they have admitted it publicly now :)

Disgusting the public had to find out for themselves, and even more disgusting people still buy the latest iPhone. The iPhone 6s and 7 are both very powerful phones still, waste of perfectly good hardware.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
NO... I actually think root/rom is in the past for lots now, but back in the Note 2/3/4 days there was a big unleashed potential in the notes...that Samsung didn't give us.. but independent developers did, my note 3 was a beast rocking 2 full days of life with 10 hours of on screen time, that was unheard of back then and was thanks to the great dev. guys on xda.
I wouldn't bother with root/rom on my N8 but if I hadn't sold my N4 I would have had fun... mad fun.. making it greater

Isn't rooting nearly impossible now with modern day phones? They make it impossible to downgrade. Used to have fun hacking my PSP gaming system... definitely more possibilities. Technically it's not a crime because you OWN the hardware.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently running 2 Note 3s on 4.4.2 (they're rooted and run Safestrap and it's a pain to keep switching kernels) and neither one has slowed down from the time they came out of the box over 4 years ago running JellyBean. They've run on custom ROMs, but I keep coming back to stock (which is easy with Safestrap). And they keep running fast.

As for rooting, it's not impossible for many phones these days, you just have to search for the particular method for your phone. (Flashing TWRP, then installing CFAutoRoot, still works for many phones.)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Samsung came out and said they don't throttle phones.

But they'd have to actually update the software to actually throttle phones. /dumboverplayedjoke

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung came out and said they don't throttle phones.

But they'd have to actually update the software to actually throttle phones. /dumboverplayedjoke

lol good one and not a joke at all, my Vodafone note have both november and december security patches plus secure WiFi thingy and what else but my direct unlocked Samsung are on august security patch and nothing else.... shame on you Samsung

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Every Samsung galaxy thaf I’ve owned (S3 all the way to S8) has slowed down and gotten all jerky and yanky over time. Same for everyone that I know with Samsung’s. Common complaint around here. Have to “clear the cache”, reset etc.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My S8 started showing symptoms of that after just about a month of use.
Notes may be somewhat better. Not a lot of Notes that I’ve seen around here though.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung under investigation for slowing down phones

Samsung under investigation for slowing down phones:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/18/...itrust-planned-obsolescence-software-slowdown

Reddit user's personal experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/75igs2/planned_obsolescence/

Okay so I'm not crazy, companies like Apple was busted for slowing down phones, they finally change their "forced slowdowns" by adding an option to enable or disable it after mass backlash and lawsuits/investigations from the European government. Samsung slowing down phones is still up in the air. However, why does Samsung phones crap out after 2 years? I don't understand why the laptop (which is designed to last longer than phones but has more complicated moving parts) still functions perfectly fine (as long as you don't install junk and useless Windows updates) but a phone cannot. Isn't it a coincidence that the Note 4 suddenly died exactly when the Note 8 was released? So if everyone all together lashes out at Samsung, would they stop doing it? I used a Galaxy S7 recently and it's noticably slower and laggy than my V20, which has the exact same processor and RAM. Any thoughts on this? You can try debunking it but the truth will come out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung under investigation for slowing down phones

However, why does Samsung phones crap out after 2 years? I don't understand why the laptop (which is designed to last longer than phones but has more complicated moving parts) still functions perfectly fine (as long as you don't install junk and useless Windows updates) but a phone cannot. Isn't it a coincidence that the Note 4 suddenly died exactly when the Note 8 was released?
Yep, exactly, a coincidence. I still have 2 perfectly-working Note 3s. I just wanted a smaller phone, a newer version of Android and a fingerprint scanner, but the Note 3's, aside from the batteries, are like new (plus updates).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36