Samsung acknowledges charging issues with Galaxy Note 8 and S8 devices

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Good that they’re acknowledging it.

BUT, replace them with new phones. Replacing them with refurbished units just seems like a slap in the face, especially when you’re that guy who bought a brand new unit less than a month ago.

I know companies are just going to do the absolute minimum when it comes to issues but when you’re getting PR attention, what you don’t want is more PR attention of the negative kind and to my eye, replacing a phone which is still brand new with one that’s older due to it being a refurb is um.....pretty bad in terms of PR.

If it was within the return period and the carrier wouldn't swap it out for a new one I would totally be fuming, would even consider some kind of legal action.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Since day one (Sept), haven't encountered any charging issues. I do Fast charge when I'm at work or on the road, but I use the older samsung wireless slow charger when I'm charging over night.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Its funny seeing all the "replacement battery" stuff. especially since no batteries are removable and when I had battery issues before with my Note 4 my insurance wouldn't just send me a new battery, they would send me a whole new (refurb) phone. Now I'm hearing that they will only "repair" phones which is essentially just putting a new battery in.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Its funny seeing all the "replacement battery" stuff. especially since no batteries are removable and when I had battery issues before with my Note 4 my insurance wouldn't just send me a new battery, they would send me a whole new (refurb) phone. Now I'm hearing that they will only "repair" phones which is essentially just putting a new battery in.

That's why I mentioned if this happens if you're better off going to Cellaris, Sprint store (some have repair techs) Batteries Plus or another repair shop and just pay to have a new battery installed rather than rolling the dice with Samsung and possibly taking weeks AND getting a refurb with scratches sent to you.

Does anyone know what a factory battery runs for this phone? I can't find it for sale on Aliexpress yet.

I would rather take it to a shop knowing I get my actual phone back.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh dear.

Seems to be affecting USA models which use Snapdragon.

I have run my Exynos Note8 down to 0% a few times, mostly due to falling asleep while watching YouTube videos and or streaming music, and each time inhave simply plugged it in and it came back to life without issue.
Which is good for you model.. but sadly not all Note 8 owners are in that bucket.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what the numbers are regarding 'faulty' devices. It's actually gone quiet since Samsung made their brief statement, I would of thought there would of been more complaints.

Obviously it doesn't help those affected and I hope they manage to rectify the problem, be that replacement handsets or whatever, but I have a feeling the actual number is miniscule.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
In all my years of owning smartphones, I've never had my battery go down to zero. If you are monitoring your battery percentage it should never happen.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
In all my years of owning smartphones, I've never had my battery go down to zero. If you are monitoring your battery percentage it should never happen.
I've had phones go down to, "zero" plenty of times with no problems. The thing is, zero does not mean the battery is completely dead; especially with LiIon/LiPoly batteries. It means that the battery is at a certain level and if it were to discharge more, the battery could be severely damaged when you try to recharge it. Read the info in the link I posted.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's not true at all. Otherwise, there'd be mini bombs going off every day.
I've run mine down to zero maybe a couple times and definitely many times below 40% and it has never gotten even remotely warm during the charged up no issues charging up.