01-10-2018 10:30 AM
32 12
tools
    I love my Note 8, but I came from a S5 that had a 16M camera with resolutions of 5312-2988. My pictures were so clear, I could zoom in and the zoom was so crystal clear, it was so amazing. I am disappointed that the Note 8 only is 12M - 4032-3024 and that is only in 4:3 mode. If I want a picture in 16:9 it goes down to 9.1M and only 4032 x 2268. When I zoom at that ratio it is no where near as clear as the S5. Did Samy down grade the camera in the S6 and up? I don't want to have to take my S5 around to take pictures, but I may. Anyone using a camera app (instead of the stock) that takes better pictures out the gate? When filming in UHD and taking a picture during filming, those picture are very grainy as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    01-05-2018 12:08 PM
    They reduced the resolution but retained the sensor size.

The S5 may be better off in broad daylight due to the higher resolution but it falters in low-light significantly. While the Note8’s camera isn’t as detailed in those conditions, the overall quality is actually higher in lower light conditions owing to better processing and a better sensor and aperture combo.

I don’t know but taking a picture while filming could cap that picture to 16:9 due to the resolution of the video.
    01-05-2018 12:48 PM
    The S5 camera was great for its time, and still very good, but the Note 8 camera is significantly better in more conditions than the S5: Note 8 has bigger pixels, faster lens, better image processing, optical zoom...

That said, the S5 is still a pretty good camera in good lighting conditions.

In situations without optimal light, the higher resolution of the S5 (since the sensor is not also larger to match) only makes the images noisier.
    01-05-2018 05:00 PM
    What others said above are correct, and it's nothing special to phone sensors. Even in the higher end camera markets, pixel count isn't the only factor, and there's a point where more pixels no longer translates into better photos.
    gernerttl likes this.
    01-05-2018 05:55 PM
    I've been getting a lot of blurry pictures that I didn't get with the note 5. Don't think in doing anything differently. I feel it was a better camera as well. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong?
    1lamore likes this.
    01-06-2018 01:07 AM
    I've been getting a lot of blurry pictures that I didn't get with the note 5. Don't think in doing anything differently. I feel it was a better camera as well. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong?
    Post up a few examples so we can maybe figure out what’s going on.
    01-06-2018 02:10 AM
    Camera Resolution?-20171225_090505.jpgCamera Resolution?-20171225_090459.jpgCamera Resolution?-20171224_204220.jpgCamera Resolution?-20171124_102031.jpg

The last one of the pup is more grainy, than blurry. This doesn't happen all the time by any means, but much more than the 5 ever did
    01-06-2018 09:31 AM
    That may be true, but 16M isn't that high. I always get a Galaxy because the pictures and the M was better and higher. I don't understand why they couldn't have the 16M on the Note. Maybe they had to have the 2 cameras the same number? ( 12M and 12M). I take most of my pictures outside so I want the best resolution. I haven't done outside pics yet because it is 0 out right now. But I can tell the clarity isn't the same. I attached (if this works) pictures I took this summer with my S5, and you can zoom in completely and the plant's leaves are crystal clear. I just want Samy to know that taking crystal clear pictures is a high priority for their customers. I would like the next Note to come with a 16M camera for sure.
    What others said above are correct, and it's nothing special to phone sensors. Even in the higher end camera markets, pixel count isn't the only factor, and there's a point where more pixels no longer translates into better photos.
    01-06-2018 11:01 AM
    01-06-2018 11:05 AM
    those look terrible, almost as bad as my LG L90, ($50 new). could you try clearing the cache? Have you changed any settings? You might have to do a factory reset. if that doesn't work you might consider taking it back.
    01-06-2018 11:30 AM
    Well with indoor lighting no smartphone camera does well with moving subjects. And the pic of the pup should definitely look better than that.
    01-06-2018 11:36 AM
    Here are some samples.

See if any match what you were experiencing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NgL86skJByRVPjjc2

That may be true, but 16M isn't that high. I always get a Galaxy because the pictures and the M was better and higher. I don't understand why they couldn't have the 16M on the Note. Maybe they had to have the 2 cameras the same number? ( 12M and 12M). I take most of my pictures outside so I want the best resolution. I haven't done outside pics yet because it is 0 out right now. But I can tell the clarity isn't the same. I attached (if this works) pictures I took this summer with my S5, and you can zoom in completely and the plant's leaves are crystal clear. I just want Samy to know that taking crystal clear pictures is a high priority for their customers. I would like the next Note to come with a 16M camera for sure.
    It's mostly due to the aspect ratio. Compared to the Galaxy S6, the Note8's vertical resolution is slightly higher but the horizontal resolution is lower due to the 4:3 aspect ratio. The lack of clarity may stem from post-processing differences. The S5 was more aggressive with sharpening compared to the Note8.

If you'd like, you can download the HDR+ Google Camera app and see if it makes a difference.
    01-06-2018 11:40 AM
    I just came from a Note 5 and I can without a doubt say my overall picture quality is much better. Just because it a lower megapixel doesn't result in worse photos at all. I recently took a photo of a similar scene at my home and noticed the color, clarity and depth of the photo was so much better than my Note photo. I would show pics but I can't find my Note photo since I did a data dump from Google photos the other day. For me coming from the 16m to a 12m I find the reduction in size doesn't matter .
    01-06-2018 04:17 PM
    I don't understand why they couldn't have the 16M on the Note.
    It's simple: because the quality of the pictures would be worse. There is a reason the 10 top-rated smartphone cameras on DXOMark all have 12MP. Because given the current state of sensor technology, that gives the best photo quality in more conditions. Here is part of the reason: To put in more megapixels, you would need to make each pixel smaller. By making the pixel smaller, it has less surface area to collect light. Since each pixel, regardless of size has a fixed amount of electrical noise (which shows up as distortion in the picture), higher megapixels leads to lower signal-to-noise ratio, and therefore more distortion in the picture. This results in a requirement for longer shutter speeds or higher ISO (to compensate for lower signal-to-noise ratio), which means more motion blur, or just more distorted, grainier pictures when light isn't optimal.
    01-06-2018 04:51 PM
    Here are some samples.

See if any match what you were experiencing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NgL86skJByRVPjjc2

Nice shots! They made me hungry!
    01-06-2018 04:56 PM
    I have to admit I noticed a drop in photo detail when I went from the Galaxy S6 (16mp) to the S7 edge (12mp). I was a bit peeved about it in the same way at the time but it was a trade off for all the other gains the camera made. I made my peace with the change a few years ago
    01-06-2018 05:06 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171225_090505.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	277246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171225_090459.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	277247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171224_204220.jpg 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	277248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171124_102031.jpg 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	277249

The last one of the pup is more grainy, than blurry. This doesn't happen all the time by any means, but much more than the 5 ever did
    The motion blur is due to a relatively long shutter speed. Notice how the background is still blur free and it's only your daughter that is blurred due to her moving. So next time try manual mode and experiment with a faster shutter and perhaps higher ISO if needed.

The one of the dogs looks like high ISO noise. Since they aren't moving fast, I would suggest a lower ISO and higher shutter speed.

It's a balance between ISO and shutter speed, and changing one can affect multiple aspects of the image. I.e. A longer shutter speed gives a brighter image at the expense of motion blur. If you try these in auto mode, different cameras will give different results. One app programmer may prefer to increase ISO in a dark setting, but another developer may increase the shutter speed. They do what they think is best, but it may not be the best for your tastes.
    01-06-2018 05:27 PM
    Actually 12mp is a pretty optimal resolution. You’ve seen a 4K tv perhaps. Crystal clear even with a large screen. The resolution of a 4K tv is 3840 x 2160 and if you do the math that equals 8mp. So a 8mp photo will show on a 4K tv exactly pixel to pixel. Now add say 50% to the camera for over sampling or pixel binning and you have ......... 12mp.
    Spencurious likes this.
    01-06-2018 08:11 PM
    The motion blur is due to a relatively long shutter speed. Notice how the background is still blur free and it's only your daughter that is blurred due to her moving. So next time try manual mode and experiment with a faster shutter and perhaps higher ISO if needed.

The one of the dogs looks like high ISO noise. Since they aren't moving fast, I would suggest a lower ISO and higher shutter speed.

It's a balance between ISO and shutter speed, and changing one can affect multiple aspects of the image. I.e. A longer shutter speed gives a brighter image at the expense of motion blur. If you try these in auto mode, different cameras will give different results. One app programmer may prefer to increase ISO in a dark setting, but another developer may increase the shutter speed. They do what they think is best, but it may not be the best for your tastes.
    I've never done a thing other than auto on both phones, guess I'll have to give it a try
    01-06-2018 09:35 PM
    I've never done a thing other than auto on both phones, guess I'll have to give it a try
    Auto mode is like ordering at different restaurants. You could order the same meal at each, but they won't taste exactly the same. Each chef will have their own little twists to how they create the meal.

Shooting in manual mode is like preparing that same meal at home. It takes practice, but eventually you start to develop your own style. Coincidently, I use a similar comparison when deciding if you should save as jpeg or RAW. If you don't want to deal with editing, then save as jpegs. If you save as RAW, then you will have to edit and convert to jpeg with a special program.
    01-07-2018 12:32 AM
    If you save as RAW, then you will have to edit and convert to jpeg with a special program.
    Just would like to add that said special program doesn't have to cost money.

You can start with Snapseed and Lightroom mobile, both of which are free on Google Play
    01-07-2018 01:55 AM
    A few comments:

- Taking pictures of kids moving inside is one of the most challenging types of pictures for any camera. Even if those pictures were taken with an expensive full frame camera, many of the shots would not have come out sharp because of motion blur.

- I think that you MIGHT be able to get better results by using pro mode, but there is also a bigger chance to mess things up (e.g., over or under exposure). Also in the time it takes to fiddle with the settings, you might miss the ideal moment. Before trying pro mode, I'd try improving technique with Auto mode.

- It makes a HUGE difference if you can get kids to stay still for a second or two, while you snap the picture. Try grabbing their attention or asking them to say a word that makes them laugh.

- Also try using burst mode (holding the shutter button and let the camera take 10 rapid fire shots. Hopefully one of those will be in between movements and without motion blur

- Finally, I had a S5 before and I definitely get better results with the Note 8, with both phones in auto mode.
    01-07-2018 09:06 AM
    You can start with Snapseed and Lightroom mobile, both of which are free on Google Play
    Unless something changed recently, the free version of Lightroom Mobile does not support RAW files and you have to buy the subscription for it. Photoshop Express is free and does support RAW files.
    01-07-2018 10:26 AM
    Unless something changed recently, the free version of Lightroom Mobile does not support RAW files and you have to buy the subscription for it. Photoshop Express is free and does support RAW files.
    Sort of.

The free version of LRM supports only .DNG RAW files. Anything else like .ARW or .CRW requires a CC subscription.

Android usually saves RAW files as .DNG, so you should be good there
    01-07-2018 10:28 AM
    Sort of.

The free version of LRM supports only .DNG RAW files. Anything else like .ARW or .CRW requires a CC subscription.

Android usually saves RAW files as .DNG, so you should be good there
    Last I tried opening one of my DNG files from my V20, it took me to the subscription sign up page.
    01-07-2018 10:40 AM
32 12