Either way it's going to be a huge upgrade from the Note 4. I personally would wait for the Note9. The Note8 is a fantastic device, but many of us are having problems with the phone freezing about 2 months after release (freezing started in November). There's also the infamous 'battery bug' which has not affected me personally.

I regret my purchase due to the issues mentioned, though I acknowledge that the phone is otherwise the best on the market. Certainly the most complete in terms of hardware, software, and features.

If I had known then what I do now, I would have purchased a different device (which I ended up doing anyway due to the Note8's freezing problem).
    I'm sorry you had some problems with your Note 8! What phone did you get afterward?
    01-10-2018 11:49 AM
    Does this require root?
    it would require root alright but with a note 4 your warranty is expired anyway and it shouldn't affect resale value
    01-10-2018 12:13 PM
    it would require root alright but with a note 4 your warranty is expired anyway and it shouldn't affect resale value
    I'm not even sure where to begin with root.
    SR45 likes this.
    01-10-2018 12:23 PM
    Either way it's going to be a huge upgrade from the Note 4. I personally would wait for the Note9. The Note8 is a fantastic device, but many of us are having problems with the phone freezing about 2 months after release (freezing started in November). There's also the infamous 'battery bug' which has not affected me personally.

I regret my purchase due to the issues mentioned, though I acknowledge that the phone is otherwise the best on the market. Certainly the most complete in terms of hardware, software, and features.

If I had known then what I do now, I would have purchased a different device (which I ended up doing anyway due to the Note8's freezing problem).
    Not to be skeptical, but Note 8 has been very stable for the majority of users and the "infamous" battery issue seems to be very isolated and quickly dying out. (Ha ha!) Sorry you had issues, but my Note 8 is working flawlessly and most reporting out there backs this up. I returned my IPhone X 265gb for the Note 8 after a trial period, and there's just no comparison.
    cwbcpa, jimd1050, kj11 and 2 others like this.
    01-10-2018 12:56 PM
    I'm sorry you had some problems with your Note 8! What phone did you get afterward?
    I've been using a Nokia 8 as my daily driver for about 3 weeks now. No freezing or battery issues. I wanted to see what a stock Android experience is like along with fast updates. Plus I really liked the look of the hardware, especially in the polished copper. Great device, especially for the money.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 01:13 PM
    Not to be skeptical, but Note 8 has been very stable for the majority of users and the "infamous" battery issue seems to be very isolated and quickly dying out. (Ha ha!) Sorry you had issues, but my Note 8 is working flawlessly and most reporting out there backs this up. I returned my IPhone X 265gb for the Note 8 after a trial period, and there's just no comparison.
    If you're skeptical, see the four-page thread about freezing issues. In fact, there are multiple threads about it.
    01-10-2018 01:14 PM
    I've been using a Nokia 8 as my daily driver for about 3 weeks now. No freezing or battery issues. I wanted to see what a stock Android experience is like along with fast updates. Plus I really liked the look of the hardware, especially in the polished copper. Great device, especially for the money.
    The Nokia 8 is a great device and beautiful to boot - especially the Copper version! Glad you are enjoying it!
    hasasimo likes this.
    01-10-2018 01:37 PM
    If you're skeptical, see the four-page thread about freezing issues. In fact, there are multiple threads about it.
    Well I guess that settles it, LOL! What phone did you end up getting?
    01-10-2018 01:42 PM
    Well, as the current owner of a Nexus 6P, I've grown quite bored with the stock Android experiment. I haven't had a Samsung phone since the international model S3 (I-9300). I've accepted the fact that if I want the most bang for my buck in terms of features, hardware, and just an all-around most justified for the price phone, it's gotta be a Samsung. The question is, will it be the S9+, Note 8 or Note 9? The Note 8 is under consideration only because of the eventual price drop when the 9 is released.

Obviously, the new phones are choices because they'll have the more comfortably placed fps, but also because they'll both have stereo speakers. Since I value great audio quality for streaming my music, that's a huge plus for me. My favorite audio implementation is BoomSound, so AKG will have to impress me. Does anyone have experience with AKG audio that can compare sound between it and BoomSound?

Second on my list is great battery life. For this reason, I plan on getting an unlocked Exynos version to use in NYC, since Exynos is better optimized than Snapdragon for performance, battery life and standby time.

Third, I've never had a Note with the S-Pen, so even though I may or may not make use of the features, it's good to know that they're there if I need them.
    01-10-2018 02:45 PM
    I can't see that emoji on the app so I hope it's a good one. Probably not.
    It's the laughing tears emoji..... Get the N8 and move up to the Galaxy X when it drops in 2019.
    TechNut79 and debdroid1a like this.
    01-10-2018 03:32 PM
    It was basically just a general question. Trying to form a basis for a decision. Sorry if I confused you in any way.
    No TechNut, you didn't confuse me. I just don't like being called an *** when that's the last thing I was trying to accomplish. It was just a simple question... let's just leave it at that. These damned phones ARE crazy expensive and I understand where you're coming from. The only reason I have a Note 8 is because I put my Samsung refund from the Note 7 mess away and didn't touch it (still not quite sure how the hell I did that - I guess I should be proud of myself) so I had most of the cash to buy the Note 8 outright when it arrived! Otherwise, I'd probably be in the same boat as you are or paying installments!

Wait a while and see what the Note 9 specs are and see if it's really going to be worth waiting for, then make your decision - they may not be making a bunch of changes this time, for all we know! Good luck with your decision and sorry if I gave you the wrong impression!
    TechNut79 and Jewels81 like this.
    01-10-2018 03:35 PM
    Buy the 8, skip the 9. Samsung is planning something special for the 10 (X)
    Yea, the Note 9 just like the S9 won't be a lot different from the 8. The s9 for example is a slightly newer processor. That's the only main thing different compared to the s8. I will still get the Note 9 probably LOL but for most people the upgrade over the 8 wouldn't be worth it.

Also by then I should have my small flea market shop up and running selling tech accessories and other items. I just might sell my used s8 plus and Note 8 there lol.
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-11-2018 05:26 PM
    Yea, the Note 9 just like the S9 won't be a lot different from the 8. The s9 for example is a slightly newer processor. That's the only main thing different compared to the s8. I will still get the Note 9 probably LOL but for most people the upgrade over the 8 wouldn't be worth it.

Also by then I should have my small flea market shop up and running selling tech accessories and other items. I just might sell my used s8 plus and Note 8 there lol.
    S9/+ are coming with stereo speakers and Dolby Atmos support, not to mention a bump in battery capacity. Those things are worth it to some.
    amyf27 and SR45 like this.
    01-11-2018 06:25 PM
    S9/+ are coming with stereo speakers and Dolby Atmos support, not to mention a bump in battery capacity. Those things are worth it to some.
    Very nice! Glad they have a plus version. Don't think I'll leave Note for the S9+ but will be interesting to see it and how well it does
    01-11-2018 06:35 PM
    And be paying it off for much longer.
    It's two years of $40 per month. If you make those payments it's zero%
    01-11-2018 07:03 PM
    It's two years of $40 per month. If you make those payments it's zero%
    True. But Verizon has the same deal.
    01-11-2018 07:54 PM
    Another user and I were discussing upgrading in another thread; and they stated something very interesting: If you are always waiting for the "next best thing" to come out, you may end up always waiting. It is "never a good time" to buy tech - especially in the phone world. 2017 saw so many great phones and flagships out there, and 2018 looks promising too.

But, if we spend our time waiting because we want the latest and greatest, and we do indeed buy that "new" thing, something even newer will crop up in six months' to a year's time, anyway.

I'm not saying you should for sure go for the Note 8 or 9; but it was a very interesting point this user made.
    01-12-2018 08:45 AM
    I totally understand. My question was a general one. If I get the Note 8, I might sell it and buy the 9. I'm just not sure if my Note 4 will make it until later this year, so I might have no choice.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-12-2018 10:32 AM
    I totally understand. My question was a general one. If I get the Note 8, I might sell it and buy the 9. I'm just not sure if my Note 4 will make it until later this year, so I might have no choice.
    For sure! Feel free to ask your questions! I was just stating that that was a good overall point; and this is a very interesting thread topic.

Your phone's lifespan is a good factor to consider, like you've said (and PS: it's lasted a while - congratulations!). Your plan to buy and then sell is a good one too - I'm sure there will be a *ton* of people wanting to buy the Note 8 on the heels of the Note 9 release; hoping to save some money.
    TechNut79 likes this.
    01-12-2018 10:37 AM
    If you need a phone now get the note 8.
    01-13-2018 04:00 PM
    Note 10 is worth waiting for
    01-13-2018 05:00 PM
    If you are not in a hurry wait for note 9.Note 8 is great, but 9 will definitely come with bigger battery and AI.
    01-13-2018 05:02 PM
    Wait for the note 9, for one reason....the new chip, Snapdragon 845!!! Its going to be an absolute beast. New features, better processing power, far better camera, etc.
    01-15-2018 09:54 AM
    Wait for the note 9, for one reason....the new chip, Snapdragon 845!!! Its going to be an absolute beast. New features, better processing power, far better camera, etc.
    Or wait for the Note 284
    01-15-2018 12:01 PM
    Or wait for the Note 284
    Lmao
    01-15-2018 12:13 PM
78 1234