Get the Note 8 or wait for the Note 9?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Go for the 8! When the 9 comes out, maybe you'll be enjoying your Note 8 so much that you won't want to upgrade!

Also, when the Note 9 comes out, the Note 8 will inevitably drop down in price... So there's that, too. :)

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't trying to be an ***... I was just saying, you ask a question, get a bunch of people to give you their opinions and then tell them that you can't afford to do it anyway. Does that make sense to you?

It was basically just a general question. Trying to form a basis for a decision. Sorry if I confused you in any way.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
if you're a bit strapped for cash I would stick with the Note 4 for now, it's still a very good phone, in 2/3 months you'll get a note 8 even cheaper and still a decent price for your note 4 (or keep it as a great backup)
or flash a note 7 ROM on it now.
not worth it being broke over a new phone

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
if you're a bit strapped for cash I would stick with the Note 4 for now, it's still a very good phone, in 2/3 months you'll get a note 8 even cheaper and still a decent price for your note 4 (or keep it as a great backup)
or flash a note 7 ROM on it now.
not worth it being broke over a new phone

Does this require root?

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Either way it's going to be a huge upgrade from the Note 4. I personally would wait for the Note9. The Note8 is a fantastic device, but many of us are having problems with the phone freezing about 2 months after release (freezing started in November). There's also the infamous 'battery bug' which has not affected me personally.

I regret my purchase due to the issues mentioned, though I acknowledge that the phone is otherwise the best on the market. Certainly the most complete in terms of hardware, software, and features.

If I had known then what I do now, I would have purchased a different device (which I ended up doing anyway due to the Note8's freezing problem).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Either way it's going to be a huge upgrade from the Note 4. I personally would wait for the Note9. The Note8 is a fantastic device, but many of us are having problems with the phone freezing about 2 months after release (freezing started in November). There's also the infamous 'battery bug' which has not affected me personally.

I regret my purchase due to the issues mentioned, though I acknowledge that the phone is otherwise the best on the market. Certainly the most complete in terms of hardware, software, and features.

If I had known then what I do now, I would have purchased a different device (which I ended up doing anyway due to the Note8's freezing problem).

I'm sorry you had some problems with your Note 8! What phone did you get afterward?

Shark1222

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Not to be skeptical, but Note 8 has been very stable for the majority of users and the "infamous" battery issue seems to be very isolated and quickly dying out. (Ha ha!) Sorry you had issues, but my Note 8 is working flawlessly and most reporting out there backs this up. I returned my IPhone X 265gb for the Note 8 after a trial period, and there's just no comparison.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry you had some problems with your Note 8! What phone did you get afterward?

I've been using a Nokia 8 as my daily driver for about 3 weeks now. No freezing or battery issues. I wanted to see what a stock Android experience is like along with fast updates. Plus I really liked the look of the hardware, especially in the polished copper. Great device, especially for the money.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Not to be skeptical, but Note 8 has been very stable for the majority of users and the "infamous" battery issue seems to be very isolated and quickly dying out. (Ha ha!) Sorry you had issues, but my Note 8 is working flawlessly and most reporting out there backs this up. I returned my IPhone X 265gb for the Note 8 after a trial period, and there's just no comparison.

If you're skeptical, see the four-page thread about freezing issues. In fact, there are multiple threads about it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a Nokia 8 as my daily driver for about 3 weeks now. No freezing or battery issues. I wanted to see what a stock Android experience is like along with fast updates. Plus I really liked the look of the hardware, especially in the polished copper. Great device, especially for the money.

The Nokia 8 is a great device and beautiful to boot - especially the Copper version! Glad you are enjoying it!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, as the current owner of a Nexus 6P, I've grown quite bored with the stock Android experiment. I haven't had a Samsung phone since the international model S3 (I-9300). I've accepted the fact that if I want the most bang for my buck in terms of features, hardware, and just an all-around most justified for the price phone, it's gotta be a Samsung. The question is, will it be the S9+, Note 8 or Note 9? The Note 8 is under consideration only because of the eventual price drop when the 9 is released.

Obviously, the new phones are choices because they'll have the more comfortably placed fps, but also because they'll both have stereo speakers. Since I value great audio quality for streaming my music, that's a huge plus for me. My favorite audio implementation is BoomSound, so AKG will have to impress me. Does anyone have experience with AKG audio that can compare sound between it and BoomSound?

Second on my list is great battery life. For this reason, I plan on getting an unlocked Exynos version to use in NYC, since Exynos is better optimized than Snapdragon for performance, battery life and standby time.

Third, I've never had a Note with the S-Pen, so even though I may or may not make use of the features, it's good to know that they're there if I need them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital