Worthless. It doesn't do sms.
    Definitely not worthless for everyone. I use it everyday with my family accross platforms. I'll agree that not having SMS is a major issue and drawback though. I can understand why you would feel it's worthless without it. It serves it's purpose for me and my iPhone using family though.
    01-12-2018 09:16 AM
    Allo is a good app, better than WhatsApp imo. but getting people to change anything is tough, especially if they might have years of messages on their chat that the think they will eventually look at, but never will.
    give it sms and put it on all phones just like Gmail. people will use it.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    01-12-2018 09:51 AM
    It really blows my mind that Google still can't make a good, do-all messaging app.
    kj11 likes this.
    01-12-2018 10:34 AM
    I set it up and linked my other devices. Then switched to the standard Google messaging app but leave the Verizon one installed and keep it up-to-date. All my messages still sync fine and I can use whatever I want now.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel 2

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I have done the same thing, but when I use another texting app on my phone, the texts I type out on my other devices (namely, my desktop, as I use it at work throughout the day) do not show up on that particular app on the phone. They DO show in Messages+. The texts I receive FROM people show up in all text apps. If I'm not using Messages+, though, it just looks like someone is sending me a string of messages, and I'm ignoring them.
    01-12-2018 12:02 PM
    this thread is making me want to go back to Android Messages.
    01-12-2018 12:40 PM
    I love stock too but the only thing that it does not have is Gif support. I use Google Messages for text and I am not going to constantly switch just to send a gif so I stick with google.

I heard the stock messenges will support them one day but they will be fairly limited (come on Sammy).
    01-12-2018 01:12 PM
    I love stock too but the only thing that it does not have is Gif support. I use Google Messages for text and I am not going to constantly switch just to send a gif so I stick with google.

I heard the stock messenges will support them one day but they will be fairly limited (come on Sammy).
    as a few have said already, use Swiftkey and you can post gifs all day long.
    Super Dave426 likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:31 PM
    as a few have said already, use Swiftkey and you can post gifs all day long.
    I was surprised when that worked. It has been so long since I stopped using swiftkey I had forgotten how clunky auto correct had become since ms took it over
    01-12-2018 01:40 PM
    I like Android messages for archiving, and deleting messages easier. that's all I don't like about stock
    01-12-2018 09:25 PM
    Stock app is good, but Verizon Messages blows it out of the water.

Primary thing I like about Verizon's message app is it syncs my texts to my phone, tablet, and computer. It even allows calling from Android tablets using loud speaker or Bluetooth.

It also includes the delivered/read alerts and shows when the other person is typing similar to imessage.
    01-12-2018 10:33 PM
    It took me 349 years to save up $3.49 cents to purchase Textra. I'm keeping it! No more keeping up with the Jones!
    cwbcpa and justafew like this.
    01-13-2018 09:50 AM
    It does that with the stock ap also.
    Not if you use a pin/fingerprint/iris to unlock your device. The message will pop up on your screen, but to reply you then have to unlock the device first. With Textra, you never have to unlock to reply (of course, you can even change that option in Textra settings if you prefer to unlock to reply).
    cwbcpa likes this.
    01-13-2018 11:04 AM
    I use Verizon's Messages+ because I can use it on multiple devices like my phone, tablet, Surface, and desktop. Samsung's messaging app won't allow me to do that.
    Do you have to have Verizon to use that messaging app on other devices?
    01-13-2018 08:42 PM
    Do you have to have Verizon to use that messaging app on other devices?
    I don't think so. The app is free, so it wouldn't cost you anything to try.
    01-14-2018 12:57 AM
    Next SMS does sound like a good app! Plus, scheduled sending of SMS/MMS is a great feature. Pretty sure Textra has that as well!
    Textra does have schedule message for later, a awesome feature. Stock messaging has it also.
    01-14-2018 08:55 AM
    Heads-up notifications are customizable.

Delay sending for proofreading

Reply from lock screen

List mobile contacts only option

Auto night and day mode

Set group messaging to replies only come to you individually

Works with my s3

Schedule a message (also available on stock)

Works with edge lighting

Developer keeps updating and responds to and fixed issues quickly, doubt Samsung does that

Supports live messaging

Send and delivered confirmation is done on the texting app, not a separate notification I have to clear.

Can set to auto close keyboard after send

These are a few of the reasons I prefer Textra over stock. It has the right amount of customizations without a lot of bloat. Verizon messages+ has a lot of useless bloat IMO, and over the years I've had more issues with Verizon messages then I have had with Textra, and Textra issues have been resolved a lot faster then Verizon messages, and there was an issue with Verizon messages where messages were not sent to certain numbers, took forever for Verizon messages to fix it. Textra developers keep this app updated and respond to your questions and ideas, they implemented one of my ideas in one day. Textra is worth every penny I paid for it, best app I've purchased.

In the end, it's what works for you.
    hasasimo likes this.
    01-14-2018 09:30 AM
    Textra does have schedule message for later, a awesome feature. Stock messaging has it also.
    Agreed. I use that schedule messages often.
    01-14-2018 10:28 PM
    Agreed. I use that schedule messages often.
    I just got done setting up about 10 scheduled messages for the kids in the morning. It's a lifesaver.
    01-14-2018 10:34 PM
    the main thing that bothers me about the stock messaging app is that it prevents me from sending an mms that is larger than 1mb
    Yesterday 08:32 PM
    Am I correct that stock app doesn't support GIFs? Alternatively, I think stock app is required to sync with Samsung watch. Correct?
    Yesterday 09:45 PM
95 ... 234