Why would you NOT use the stock messaging app?

UmmmWhat

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I love stock too but the only thing that it does not have is Gif support. I use Google Messages for text and I am not going to constantly switch just to send a gif so I stick with google.

I heard the stock messenges will support them one day but they will be fairly limited (come on Sammy).

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love stock too but the only thing that it does not have is Gif support. I use Google Messages for text and I am not going to constantly switch just to send a gif so I stick with google.

I heard the stock messenges will support them one day but they will be fairly limited (come on Sammy).

as a few have said already, use Swiftkey and you can post gifs all day long.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
as a few have said already, use Swiftkey and you can post gifs all day long.

I was surprised when that worked. It has been so long since I stopped using swiftkey I had forgotten how clunky auto correct had become since ms took it over

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Stock app is good, but Verizon Messages blows it out of the water.

Primary thing I like about Verizon's message app is it syncs my texts to my phone, tablet, and computer. It even allows calling from Android tablets using loud speaker or Bluetooth.

It also includes the delivered/read alerts and shows when the other person is typing similar to imessage.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It took me 349 years to save up $3.49 cents to purchase Textra. I'm keeping it! No more keeping up with the Jones!

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It does that with the stock ap also.

Not if you use a pin/fingerprint/iris to unlock your device. The message will pop up on your screen, but to reply you then have to unlock the device first. With Textra, you never have to unlock to reply (of course, you can even change that option in Textra settings if you prefer to unlock to reply).

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Heads-up notifications are customizable.

Delay sending for proofreading

Reply from lock screen

List mobile contacts only option

Auto night and day mode

Set group messaging to replies only come to you individually

Works with my s3

Schedule a message (also available on stock)

Works with edge lighting

Developer keeps updating and responds to and fixed issues quickly, doubt Samsung does that

Supports live messaging

Send and delivered confirmation is done on the texting app, not a separate notification I have to clear.

Can set to auto close keyboard after send

These are a few of the reasons I prefer Textra over stock. It has the right amount of customizations without a lot of bloat. Verizon messages+ has a lot of useless bloat IMO, and over the years I've had more issues with Verizon messages then I have had with Textra, and Textra issues have been resolved a lot faster then Verizon messages, and there was an issue with Verizon messages where messages were not sent to certain numbers, took forever for Verizon messages to fix it. Textra developers keep this app updated and respond to your questions and ideas, they implemented one of my ideas in one day. Textra is worth every penny I paid for it, best app I've purchased.

In the end, it's what works for you.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
the main thing that bothers me about the stock messaging app is that it prevents me from sending an mms that is larger than 1mb

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Am I correct that stock app doesn't support GIFs? Alternatively, I think stock app is required to sync with Samsung watch. Correct?
Many have had success sending Gifs with other keyboards. I use Gboard and you're right, no gif support.

You can view messages from other apps on your watch but you'll need to use stock of you want to reply and send messages from your watch as well

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I gave the stock messaging app a try for the first few days. Then I went back to Textra. The stock app functioned fine I just couldn't stand the look of it and with Textra you can change the colour scheme to really take advantage of the deep blacks and vibrant colours of the OLED screen. Samsung makes the best OLED screens in the world, but their stock apps are full of washed out, effeminate pastel colours. I don't get it.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I gave the stock messaging app a try for the first few days. Then I went back to Textra. The stock app functioned fine I just couldn't stand the look of it and with Textra you can change the colour scheme to really take advantage of the deep blacks and vibrant colours of the OLED screen. Samsung makes the best OLED screens in the world, but their stock apps are full of washed out, effeminate pastel colours. I don't get it.
Have you tried the Samsung theme store?

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the stock messaging app since I got my note 8 but I always used to use Textra. after browsing the forums this evening I decided to change things up with the apps I've been using and finally went back to Textra. definitely appreciate the clean, simple look I can have and the overall feel of the app. Definitely is snappier than stock