switching vzw to tmobile. Will flashing the note 8 unlock the bands for tmobile

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone i am just trying to get some information i have been reading a lot of threads the last couple of days. And I am curious to know. I am switching carriers from Verizon to Tmobile and bringing my note 8 with me. what i want to know is if i flash my note 8 from Verizon to tmobile firmware, will it unlock the bands that i currently can't use. I am aware that tmobile utilizes a couple of different bands that Verizon doesn't. So I am just trying to get some clarification on this. Thanks again for all your help.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure you'll get some answers here. Have you checked with Tmobile? They do have some pretty knowledgeable reps that may be able to assist.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't really need to do anything. If the Note is paid off, you can have Verizon unlock it to take to another carrier. It won't work as well as a Note built for Tmo, but it should work.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone i am just trying to get some information i have been reading a lot of threads the last couple of days. And I am curious to know. I am switching carriers from Verizon to Tmobile and bringing my note 8 with me. what i want to know is if i flash my note 8 from Verizon to tmobile firmware, will it unlock the bands that i currently can't use. I am aware that tmobile utilizes a couple of different bands that Verizon doesn't. So I am just trying to get some clarification on this. Thanks again for all your help.

Yes it will unlock all the correct bands for T-Mobile. The bands are controlled via carrier firmware. If you flash the T-Mobile firmware it will unlock the correct bands for T-Mobile.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...m-n950u-u1-t3685884/post74087340#post74087340

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply I really appreciate it i have one other question. Can I flash directly from VZW to Tmobile. I have already downloaded odin and the latest tmobile firmware. I just want to be sure it's been about 4 years since i have flashed anything. I wasn't sure if i had to flash VZW firmware first then tmobile or can i go straight to tmobile. Thanks again

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply I really appreciate it i have one other question. Can I flash directly from VZW to Tmobile. I have already downloaded odin and the latest tmobile firmware. I just want to be sure it's been about 4 years since i have flashed anything. I wasn't sure if i had to flash VZW firmware first then tmobile or can i go straight to tmobile. Thanks again

Follow the instructions in the link I just posted above. I don't think you have to flash the Verizon software first you can go straight to T-Mobile. I would do a factory reset of the phone before you start just to make sure everything goes smoothly. Make sure to follow the instructions to a T though. That will make sure you have no issues.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

This is just a suggestion but I would consider flashing the unlocked version of the Firmware. That would open all of the bands and you wouldn't have to deal with all of T-Mobiles bloatware that is pretty bad especially their T-Mobile app and a couple of other apps that are very intrusive they install.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Hey thanks so much for the info i really appreciate it!! Could you post a link where to get the unlocked firmware for the note 8 and the s7 i am going to do both of them. also if you have a link on the s7 process as well i would appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Do you mind if I ask why you are leaving Verizon? I'm currently with T-Mobile and was just curious what made you want to switch.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
I actually use both carriers but i am just going to stick with TMobile only because for that extra 25 a month you get truly unlimited tethering with very little throttle after 50 gig the only time they throttle me is maybe at 9am and 5 to 7 pm and still it's not that bad but the rest of the time i get speeds of up to 40mb per sec and that's fine with me. with Verizon once you break that 22gb mark your done and they charge a fortune in overages.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
does anyone know where i can get this software?

For use withBQL1/2/5/A Firmwares
N950USQU1AQL1_COMBINATION - Uploading when I get it...try downgrading firmware and use the previous version until uploaded
HOME_CSC_OYV_N950WVLS2BQL? - Uploading when released...

Any help would be appreciated. thanks so much i can't seem to find it anywhere

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess you are rooted or something. As said before you don’t need to flash and all that. The Verizon phones are unlocked from the get go. You shouldn’t need to do anything other than insert a T-Mobile sim and bam.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
mustang they don't have the combination software as stated above and on xda it just says they will upload it when they get it they have it for every other carrier just not tmobile at least not yet. and yes Verizon phones are unlocked however they don't have all the bands available until you flash it.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
my build requires last 4 BQLA and that is of course the only version i can't find for the tmobile.

For use withBQL1/2/5/A Firmwares
N950USQU1AQL1_COMBINATION - Uploading when I get it...try downgrading firmware and use the previous version until uploaded
HOME_CSC_OYV_N950WVLS2BQL? - Uploading when released...

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Follow this link to XDA and then you will see under downloads carrier switching steps and then click, click to show content and scroll down a bit and you will see ODIN FILES TO FLASH (Combination Firmware and XAC HOME_CSC): and then after that it's greyed out and those files are the ones i need to switch carriers. here is the link anyone who can help i would appreciate it. thanks

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...m-n950u-u1-t3685884/post74087340#post74087340

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess you are rooted or something. As said before you don’t need to flash and all that. The Verizon phones are unlocked from the get go. You shouldn’t need to do anything other than insert a T-Mobile sim and bam.
You won't be able to use all the features advance calling and video calling if you just insert a T-Mobile Sim card.

Joseph Villa1

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
i know that's why i have to flash to change carriers and then i have use of all the bands i did it on my s7 and it worked perfectly. Got all the bands got every feature including wifi calling video calling everything. just with the note it's got this one file that i can't seem to find. I can insert my tmobile sim but i only get LTE in certain areas due to not having use of all the bands. it was the same on my S7 as well until i flashed it then i got everything all bands. But like right now where i am sitting i get a full LTE signal on my S7 and and basically no service on my note 8 again all depending on where i am.

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a month ago as well. My note 8 worked except for the wifi calling and video calling. I tried flashing T-Mobile software from the xda site, but it was a little complicated for me. I sold my Verizon Note and picked up a T-Mobile one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol