Anyone seen this issue with their Front Facing Camera?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't use the font camera much but when I tried to use it this past weekend I noticed a defect on the top portion of the screen. This shows up in live view too and the bottom edge of it moves around like a wave length as you move the phone around but stays in that general top portion. I'm wondering if this is hardware or software? Was wondering if anyone ran into this and if a factory reset clears it up before I do it and find out it doesn't. Hoping a factory reset clears it so I don't have to go through a warranty exchange.
a831c93c55e01a0fdf0908ecdb5ff6da.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this in mine but it looks more like hardware than software. Here's what I suggest you try:

1) Use a 3rd party app. Does the defect show up there too? (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp... whatever uses their own camera interface would work) If it does, it's still looking like hardware. If it doesn't, then it's definitely software-related.

2) Boot up in Safe Mode. Just to make sure no 3rd party apps are conflicting with the camera, and see if the defect still shows up. Same as above: If it does, still sounds like hardware.

3) Run the Quick Test menu and test the camera (I believe it shows up as VT Sub or something like that). Same deal, and this one is pretty conclusive...if the defect shows up there, it's most likely a hardware issue. To access the Test Menu open your dialer and type in *#7353# . To exit the menu just hit the back button.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen this in mine but it looks more like hardware than software. Here's what I suggest you try:

1) Use a 3rd party app. Does the defect show up there too? (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp... whatever uses their own camera interface would work) If it does, it's still looking like hardware. If it doesn't, then it's definitely software-related.

2) Boot up in Safe Mode. Just to make sure no 3rd party apps are conflicting with the camera, and see if the defect still shows up. Same as above: If it does, still sounds like hardware.

3) Run the Quick Test menu and test the camera (I believe it shows up as VT Sub or something like that). Same deal, and this one is pretty conclusive...if the defect shows up there, it's most likely a hardware issue. To access the Test Menu open your dialer and type in *#7353# . To exit the menu just hit the back button.

Thanks for the tips. Suggestion 1 & 2 exhibit the same behavior so also believe it to be a hardware issue. When I do the quick test it doesn't show because the viewing screen is lower than where the issue is present.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmm... that's odd. My test shows the same thing as the camera,not sure why yours is 'zoomed in' then. While this does sound like a hardware issue, have you tried changing the camera's resolution? Also, I'd prepare and get SmartSwitch on your computer to back up your device.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Mmm... that's odd. My test shows the same thing as the camera,not sure why yours is 'zoomed in' then. While this does sound like a hardware issue, have you tried changing the camera's resolution? Also, I'd prepare and get SmartSwitch on your computer to back up your device.

Well, it's not 'zoomed in' it's just the placement of the camera screen is different. The viewing screen on the camera app is placed at the top of the screen to accommodate everything at the bottom and at the top of the screen is where the issue is present but when in Quick test it places the viewing screen more to the middle of the screen so it's just a black bar at the top where I would normally see the issue. If I change to the lowest res to 1:1(6.0M) it does show less as the viewing area is cut down lower. I already called AT&T for the warranty replacement and I should have it by tomorrow. I use Samsungs auto-backup feature but will do a computer backup as well when I receive the replacement unit.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not 'zoomed in' it's just the placement of the camera screen is different. The viewing screen on the camera app is placed at the top of the screen to accommodate everything at the bottom and at the top of the screen is where the issue is present but when in Quick test it places the viewing screen more to the middle of the screen so it's just a black bar at the top where I would normally see the issue. If I change to the lowest res to 1:1(6.0M) it does show less as the viewing area is cut down lower. I already called AT&T for the warranty replacement and I should have it by tomorrow. I use Samsungs auto-backup feature but will do a computer backup as well when I receive the replacement unit.

Oh, if you're getting a replacement without turning yours in first then just transfer phone to phone with Smart Switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs