Has anyone else gotten their $425 N8/N7 rebate revoked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bug999

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I think Samsung might be running a scam here. I ordered my Note 8 directly from them and got my $425 rebate and my Note 8 and accessories, but I never received return information for my old phone, nor was it included with the shipped N8.

I packaged up my old phone days before I received my new phone. I looked every day in my email inbox and trash folders for information from them. After about 45 days I saw a charge for $425 from them. I immediately called them, but after considerable effort on my part to keep my cool on the phone, I was unable to get them to send me return instructions or reverse the charge.

I then attempted to block the charges through CitiBank, but after 4 more weeks, they denied my claim, took my money and paid them. I still have the old phone in its box, but am out the $425 and see no way to fix this. I really can not believe that Samsung would act this way and that the credit card company could not easily protect me.

Has anyone else been screwed out of their $425 rebate?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
so you have a confirmation email from them about the rebate and still have the Note 7, plus of course the statements to show payment/charge transactions on your account.
Should be relatively easy to get sorted, I say relatively because I know how useless their customer service is but if you have all documents AND the Note 7....well

bug999

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Yep. I agree, but...

I have all the purchase, rebate and shipping emails, then the "we want our $425 back email". Nothing in between and they sent the N8 without return information. I probably should have pestered them at around the 20 day mark by calling, but i did not feel like i really needed to, and the pain of customer support is substantial. I guess i was wrong.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the terms which you agreed to when you signed up for the trade in requires you to send in the trade in phone within 15 days of receiving your new phone. They waited 45 days which is 3x more than what their terms state.

*For a limited time, on Samsung.com/Shop Samsung App, purchase a Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+ or Note8 with Samsung Financing or outright purchase at full retail price (“Qualifying Purchase”) and send in a qualifying trade-in device to Samsung (must be received by Samsung within 15 days of Qualifying Purchase or you will be charged back for trade-in value applied to purchase), and you will receive up to a $300 trade-in credit to apply toward your Qualifying Purchase. Check Samsung.com for a list of smartphone models that currently qualify for trade-in; smartphone models eligible for trade-in may change throughout the promotion period at Samsung’s sole discretion. To be eligible for trade-in, a qualifying device must meet all Trade-In Program eligibility requirements, which include that the device powers on and holds a charge; has a functioning display; has no breaks or cracks in the screen (unless you specifically select a cracked screen offer if available at the time you make your Qualifying Purchase); has no breaks or cracks in the case; has no other visible defects that go beyond normal wear and tear; is not on a black list of any kind; has a verified FCC ID; has been reset to factory settings; has all personal information removed from device; and has reactivation lock, Google Factory Reset Protection and all other anti-theft locking software disabled. If you send in a trade-in device and it is received within 15 days but does not meet all eligibility requirements, you will be charged back the value of the trade-in credit you received minus $25. Participation in this program does not excuse you from contracts with your carrier or retailer (or any related payments or fees) for the device that was traded in. You may not participate if you lease or do not own the device you would be trading in. Limit 1 trade-in per qualifying purchase. Samsung reserves the right to modify or discontinue this offer at any time. The Trade-In Program cannot be combined with any other Samsung, carrier or retailer promotions, discounts, or offers unless specifically provided for in the terms and conditions of such offers. Additional terms apply. Visit samsung.com/us/trade-in/terms-and-conditions to learn more.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you know you have 15 days for them to receive it, why wouldn't you contact them as soon as you realized you didn't have the materials to return it? I get your side of it, but it's unclear if you get that to Samsnug, you tried to steal or scam $425 out of them.

bug999

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I am aware. That is why i think it is a scam. Just because they covered their bases in legal ease, does not change the fact that they did not operate in good faith. They provided me with no reasonable way to return and complete my end of the agreement. No address, no box, and most importantly, no RMA number then or now. In fact, if the item is lost in shipment, according to the contract (similar to the one you posted, but for $425. I have done nothing wrong and in good faith. They have not operated in good faith. I do not know of any reasonable way to resolve this in my favor.

I find it hard to believe that others have not had similar experiences with this shady rebate. It is not like they treated us well with the two N7 recall efforts. This is like the final nail.

bug999

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Adding to my lack of good faith theme. I truly do not understand why Samsung simply now (or in the last 5 weeks or so) doesn't provide me with the return information and clear this up, especially since they have opened the rebate to everyone now, instead of just former N7 users. This makes no sense if it is not a scam like operation. Also, if they truly want to complete the transaction in good faith, they would have had the recipient place their old phone in the same box that the N8 came in with a return label included. Easy-peazy.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
IMO, you should have called them on day five after receiving the note 8 and asked for the details of where to send the trade in phone. Waiting like you did with not contacting them for the shipping info leads me to think you were hoping you slipped thru the cracks and might get away with keeping the trade in phone and keep the discount also. Just my opinion and that is all it is. I know I would have been contacting them to get shipping info so I wouldn't get charged for no trade in sent in.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am aware. That is why i think it is a scam. Just because they covered their bases in legal ease, does not change the fact that they did not operate in good faith. They provided me with no reasonable way to return and complete my end of the agreement. No address, no box, and most importantly, no RMA number then or now. In fact, if the item is lost in shipment, according to the contract (similar to the one you posted, but for $425. I have done nothing wrong and in good faith. They have not operated in good faith. I do not know of any reasonable way to resolve this in my favor.

I find it hard to believe that others have not had similar experiences with this shady rebate. It is not like they treated us well with the two N7 recall efforts. This is like the final nail.

If you don't have the label, you should have contacted them. It is in their faq, and also in the terms that you agreed to.

Even if they didn't provide you with a label, any reasonable person would call them if they knew that they had to turn it in within 15 days, and haven't received it in a timely manner. Heck, from the sounds of it even if you sent it in a few days late, they wouldn't dock you, since they didn't charge you until 45 days,when they can charge you at 16 days.

What if I lost or threw out the shipping label that was sent to me for my trade in?

If you have lost or discarded the shipping label, please log into your Samsung account and reprint the label from your My Orders page. If you require additional assistance please contact us at 855-726-8721.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Ffrequently-asked-questions%2F&token=gjOX5e0j

2. Ship Us Your Trade-In Device

Samsung will provide a shipping label and instructions to send us your Trade-In Device. You must follow the instructions Samsung provides, including using any traceable shipment method required by Samsung. If you lose or discard the shipping label, please contact us. Your Trade-In Device must be returned within fifteen (15) days after the date you receive your New Samsung Device under the Trade-In Program. Samsung will consider your Trade-In Device received as of the date you give it to Samsung’s authorized shipping provider with the prepaid return label Samsung sent you. By shipping the device to Samsung, you agree to transfer title and ownership of the device to Samsung. You disclaim any and all right, title or interest in and to the Trade-In Device, including the right to sell, dispose, or otherwise collect, where applicable, the its value. You should ship only the Trade-In Device to Samsung. Discard accessories you no longer need in accordance with your local trash and recycling regulations. No trade in value is offered on anything other than your Trade-In Device itself.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...in%2Fterms-and-conditions.html&token=HmSPSArd

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung might be running a scam here. I ordered my Note 8 directly from them and got my $425 rebate and my Note 8 and accessories, but I never received return information for my old phone, nor was it included with the shipped N8.

I packaged up my old phone days before I received my new phone. I looked every day in my email inbox and trash folders for information from them. After about 45 days I saw a charge for $425 from them. I immediately called them, but after considerable effort on my part to keep my cool on the phone, I was unable to get them to send me return instructions or reverse the charge.

I then attempted to block the charges through CitiBank, but after 4 more weeks, they denied my claim, took my money and paid them. I still have the old phone in its box, but am out the $425 and see no way to fix this. I really can not believe that Samsung would act this way and that the credit card company could not easily protect me.

Has anyone else been screwed out of their $425 rebate?

For most of the users (or lets say all) who purchased the phone from samsung.com, the trade-in phone shipping label was available in the Samsung Order Details page.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. The shipping information was provided by Samsung on the Order Details page right after the Note 8 was shown as delivered.

bug999

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Hind-site is obviously 20:20. Rather than just looking for the email or expecting them to provide shipping information as their agreement indicted, I should have proactively contacted them before the 15 days was up. That seems obvious now.

The fact that no one else has reported having had this problem surprises me, but it is what it is.

The hint and implication above is that I am at fault, and maybe even was doing something nefarious, and that Samsung is not. That reasoning is disturbing. I have no use of my old phones. I just sit on them for years, and eventually throw them away, so no. I wonder if the same posters above would blame rape victims for encouraging the behavior of their perpetrator, even a little?

In my opinion, Samsung did not go the extra mile, yet the phone is of the same value to them now as it was (<$100), yet they seem uninterested in completing the exchange amiably for a long standing customer, and as others pointed out even block further legal action in their agreements.

All in all, this has been an eye opening experience.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The hint and implication above is that I am at fault, and maybe even was doing something nefarious, and that Samsung is not. That reasoning is disturbing.

I'm sorry, but that's not just the implication, that is the reality - and by that I mean the fault, not that you did anything nefarious. From a legal standpoint and from a common sense standpoint, Samsung's expectations were made clear and you chose not to follow them and/or when confronted with confusion, decided to take no action, rather than to proactively try to troubleshoot the issue despite the clear indication from the agreement that it was your responsibility to ensure they received it within 15 days of you receiving the new device.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of trying to rip off Samsung - it seems pretty reasonable to believe that you didn't know what to do, however that does not move the onus from you to Samsung to attempt to resolve the situation. The idea that Samsung is at fault here is perpostuous, so I cannot agree that it is disturbing that people are understanding of Samsung, a company, and their actions - which were following the exact process that they had spelled out in their agreement with you.

If your boss says, "if you are on time to work tomorrow, I will give you a raise - but, if you are late, you're fired". Are you going to try to be on time? If you're on time, would you expect your boss to give you a raise or fire you? Would you be more upset if you were on time and got a raise or more upset if you were on time and got fired? Now reverse that.

When the company does exactly what they say they're going to do, and you agreed to what they say they're going to do... that's pretty much what everyone wants to happen. They keep their word, we consider that following procedure and therefore good. When that's to your benefit, it's good - but when it is to your detriment, that's not evil - it's still exactly what they are expected to do.

A final way of looking at this: They gave you money in expectation that you would give them a phone. You didn't give them a phone, so they asked for a refund. Isn't that what you would do if you gave them money and they didn't give you a phone? And if, a couple months later, they called and said, "hey we found a phone for you, do you want to give us all your money again?" Would you want to? I wouldn't, I'd be pissed that I gave them money, and they didn't give me a phone or even call me to let me know they couldn't find one to send me, etc. Just as I imagine that at this point, they're no longer interested in buying your phone, which they only wanted in a) a timely manner and b) part of an agreement to encourage you to buy something else from them.

So everything up until this point, yes, this is your fault - even if it was accidental.

I wonder if the same posters above would blame rape victims for encouraging the behavior of their perpetrator, even a little?

As to this little nugget? No, absolutely not. That's an absolutely ridiculous, childish, mean spirited and despicable comment and is completely unworthy of you. People try to help you understand what's going on and so you switch into insulting them, accusing them of victim shaming the victims of one of the most horrible crimes imaginable? You consider that to be reasonable? Do you think what happened "to you" - a company getting a refund on money they fronted you for a deal you didn't honor - is comparable to physically and psychologically assaulting a person? That's realistic to you?

So let's try to make this clear.

A company financially holding you accountable for a financial agreement that you made, that you consented to, is not in any way shape or form, comparable to finding and preying on a weaker person without any form of agreement or consent, and raping them. That that BS with you and get it tf out of here. That type of comment is completely unwelcome here, as is the hostility that such a weak comment conveys.

You have your answers, the rest is between you and Samsung and whether or not they're willing to entertain another agreement with you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon