Note 8 on Verizon, callers voice cuts out

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re:

On older phones they had dual radios for cdma which allowed voice and data.

With newer phones you have to use VoLTE in order to get voice and data on Verizon. If you don't it'll use cdma which only has one radio.

Voice+data has NEVER worked on CDMA (at least not on Verizon). Again, I know this, because I had a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and my friend had the T-Mobile version. Neither T-Mobile nor Verizon had LTE in our area at that time. Because T-Mobile is GSM, he could do both voice+data over GSM, but I could not over CDMA. It was one of few advantages that GSM has over CDMA.

Verizon phones have ALL the radios in them; GSM, LTE, CDMA, Bluetooth, and WiFi.

When I go into my Mobile Data settings, I have three choices: Global, LTE/CDMA, and LTE/GSM/UMTS. While here in the states, I keep it on LTE/CDMA. When I'm outside the US, I put it on Global.

So I'm curious.. how does one disable just HD calling without disabling VoLTE since Verizon packages it as advanced calling? On a newer phone.. not a Note 2 since that isn't really relevant nowadays.

I think you're confusing the VoLTE SERVICE with the LTE RADIO. Disabling HD calling DOES disable VoLTE. What it DOES NOT diasble is LTE radio. VoLTE is nothing more than a protocol running over LTE, hence Voice OVER LTE. It works similar to VoIP. The only way to disable LTE is go turn off mobile data, which is a different setting. Verizon even says, that you can even make HD calls with mobile data turned off.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/hd-voice-faqs/&token=P5zUc2Kf

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Voice+data has NEVER worked on CDMA (at least not on Verizon). Again, I know this, because I had a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and my friend had the T-Mobile version. Neither T-Mobile nor Verizon had LTE in our area at that time. Because T-Mobile is GSM, he could do both voice+data over GSM, but I could not over CDMA. It was one of few advantages that GSM has over CDMA.

Verizon phones have ALL the radios in them; GSM, LTE, CDMA, Bluetooth, and WiFi.

When I go into my Mobile Data settings, I have three choices: Global, LTE/CDMA, and LTE/GSM/UMTS. While here in the states, I keep it on LTE/CDMA. When I'm outside the US, I put it on Global.

I think you're confusing the VoLTE SERVICE with the LTE RADIO. Disabling HD calling DOES disable VoLTE. What it DOES NOT diasble is LTE radio. VoLTE is nothing more than a protocol running over LTE, hence Voice OVER LTE. It works similar to VoIP. The only way to disable LTE is go turn off mobile data, which is a different setting. Verizon even says, that you can even make HD calls with mobile data turned off.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/hd-voice-faqs/&token=Z9D_Bics

Again sorry this isn't how it works on newer phones. You have to have Advanced Calling on in order to have voice + data on the cellular network. If you don't then you don't get VoLTE therefore no data on the network.

If you can prove by turning it off on your phone, making a call, and showing LTE while having it off I will believe you but i seriously follow this stuff (and have) for a long time -- plus I even support the Verizon subreddit and help people with this. Plus I am on Verizon and literally can show it does what I say.

Below is my Pixel 2 XL on Verizon (Verizon bought Pixel as well). If I turn off the advanced calling it will drop LTE the second I make a call and re-connect LTE after I am done since it uses CDMA for the call.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Below are examples. With it off -- it uses CDMA for the call and therefore LTE drops -- No data + call.

With it on you get VoLTE .. You get data (via LTE) and call. As I said I am not confused by this in the least and I am very familiar with how LTE works on Verizon and how the back fall for GSM on T-Mobile / AT&T is different.

Attachments

• VoLTE_2.jpg
    VoLTE_2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 13
  • VoLTE_1.jpg
    VoLTE_1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • noVoLTE_2.jpg
    noVoLTE_2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
  • noVoLTE_1.jpg
    noVoLTE_1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 14

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Voice+data has NEVER worked on CDMA (at least not on Verizon). Again, I know this, because I had a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and my friend had the T-Mobile version. Neither T-Mobile nor Verizon had LTE in our area at that time. Because T-Mobile is GSM, he could do both voice+data over GSM, but I could not over CDMA. It was one of few advantages that GSM has over CDMA

Also just to help w/ this above since you keep bringing up older phones as an example for today's phones ... I will list a blurb I have had saved for years to the forums here to explain this.

If you are unable to use Voice & Data on a call this could be a CDMA limitation.
GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).
CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A more detailed explanation is below.

The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.
Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

You would need two cellular paths to support simultaneous cdma voice and lte data. Certain older Verizon phones have this. This is on a Verizon note 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1518321583328.jpg

This is similar to what current phones use, one cellular path ,although this came from a sprint note 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1518321642829.jpg

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re:

You would need two cellular paths to support simultaneous cdma voice and lte data. Certain older Verizon phones have this. This is on a Verizon note 3.

This is similar to what current phones use, one cellular path ,although this came from a sprint note 3.

I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus which could not do voice+data over CDMA. A few months after getting it, Verizon LTE was available in our area which negated that problem, since you can do voice+data with LTE. Voice was handled via CDMA and data via LTE. On GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T, voice+data was doable.

For the record, Verizon is steadily retiring its CDMA network, so this discussion will be moot in a couple years.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Then explain how I can turn off HD calling on my Verizon Note 8 and still do voice+data. I can surf the web while talking on the phone with HD calling OFF.

The ONLY way to turn off data (i.e. internet, Facebook, etc.) is to turn off mobile data. Turning off HD calling does not turn off data. It turns off making calls via LTE. You can still browse the web AND talk at the same time. What it does not do is voice and data simultaneously over LTE. By turning off HD calling, calls are handled via CDMA, and data via LTE. I know because I've DONE it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Then explain how I can turn off HD calling on my Verizon Note 8 and still do voice+data. I can surf the web while talking on the phone with HD calling OFF.

The ONLY way to turn off data (i.e. internet, Facebook, etc.) is to turn off mobile data. Turning off HD calling does not turn off data. It turns off making calls via LTE. You can still browse the web AND talk at the same time. What it does not do is voice and data simultaneously over LTE. By turning off HD calling, calls are handled via CDMA, and data via LTE. I know because I've DONE it.
Can you post proof of advanced calling being off and still using Voice / data? I showed above mine where I had no LTE on call so I'd be unable to use data until the call was ended. I am curious on how you're the only one that I've seen who can apparently do this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus which could not do voice+data over CDMA. A few months after getting it, Verizon LTE was available in our area which negated that problem, since you can do voice+data with LTE. Voice was handled via CDMA and data via LTE. On GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T, voice+data was doable.

For the record, Verizon is steadily retiring its CDMA network, so this discussion will be moot in a couple years.

I didn't have the Galaxy nexus, but only certain older Verizon lte phones could do simultaneous cdma voice and lte data, such as the Verizon note 3. As said previously, those phones needed to be designed with two cellular paths. There's no way to do simultaneous cdma voice and lte data with just one cellular path.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you post proof of advanced calling being off and still using Voice / data? I showed above mine where I had no LTE on call so I'd be unable to use data until the call was ended. I am curious on how you're the only one that I've seen who can apparently do this.

I have done data, while on a call, too. Advanced calling is turned off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have done data, while on a call, too. Advanced calling is turned off.
Until I see someone actually doing it I'm sorry to say I find it hard to believe.

Just for clarification I'm talking with new phones. I'm not arguing old ancient phones like a Note 2.. and I've explained why they could. It wouldn't help the OP with his Note 8 to compare how a Note 2 could back in the day since it doesn't apply to his Note 8.

Grab a Note 8 or new phone from 2017 and do it. I promise it won't work. My screenshots are a prime example with a new phone.. with advanced calling off LTE goes away upon call initiation.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Until I see someone actually doing it I'm sorry to say I find it hard to believe.

Just for clarification I'm talking with new phones. I'm not arguing old ancient phones like a Note 2.. and I've explained why they could. It wouldn't help the OP with his Note 8 to compare how a Note 2 could back in the day since it doesn't apply to his Note 8.

Grab a Note 8 or new phone from 2017 and do it. I promise it won't work. My screenshots are a prime example with a new phone.. with advanced calling off LTE goes away upon call initiation.

Believe what you want or not. With my wife as a witness, I just was talking to her via my N8 connected to her land line phone, while looking up something on the web. I had no problem.

I don't need to prove this to you, or to anyone else, who wants to try it for themselves. I'm sorry if it hasn't worked for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Believe what you want or not. With my wife as a witness, I just was talking to her via my N8 connected to her land line phone, while looking up something on the web. I had no problem.

I don't need to prove this to you, or to anyone else, who wants to try it for themselves. I'm sorry if it hasn't worked for you.

See I believe you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying you can't talk on the phone with HD voice not being initiated (such as a landline) and not use internet.

I'm saying go turn off Advanced Calling and then try. That's what I am saying. The OP turned that off and doesn't have data on a call anymore.

If you have advanced calling on and call a landline yes it won't be HD voice but it will still use VoLTE which will allow voice and data ;).

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You were also on WiFi.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
See I believe you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying you can't talk on the phone with HD voice not being initiated (such as a landline) and not use internet.

I'm saying go turn off Advanced Calling and then try. That's what I am saying. The OP turned that off and doesn't have data on a call anymore.

If you have advanced calling on and call a landline yes it won't be HD voice but it will still use VoLTE which will allow voice and data ;).
Are you on Verizon?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you on Verizon?

Yep. As I said previously .. I have followed this and I am on Verizon.

I think you and the other poster think I am talking about HD calling only. Yes some calls will show "HD" others won't (landlines and such) ... But regardless if HD shows or not if you turn off the "Advanced Calling" feature that I showed you to in the screenshots of my previous post you won't have LTE data while on a call. The only way you will is if you have WiFi on.

I would have zero reason to be trying to prove this fact if I was just lying. I have been around these forums awhile and I try and be helpful versus just making stuff up :p.

I am trying to let the OP know if he shuts that "Advanced Calling" toggle off on his phone he will not get data once a call initiates (unless on WiFi).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Then why does your screen capture show AT&T?

Haha that is who I was calling :p. As you can see the one just shows the number because it kicked me off LTE (advanced calling was off) so I had no data in the call.

The second call I had advanced calling on so VoLTE worked -- therefore I had data + the call and the Google Dialer could identify the number as AT&T.

I used the AT&T Support Number as a test number to call to show you Advanced Calling -- On VS. Off and how the data disconnects.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
See the top left of my notification shade below (also my Signal Check Pro app). ;).

22e293443a7d7d6af4d018ebc01712da.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz