My Note 8 will not turn on

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a message into my carrier T-Mobile and have my Note 8 plugged in as I'm driving to work. Thank goodness I have a backup phone at the present time. I decided to give the Note 8 a break and turned it off yesterday placing it inside a very well protected bag. I went to charge it this morning nothing I went to turn it on the only way to describe it there was a blip of what looked like a line that lit up and then disappeared on the black screen. It is right now plugged into my car charger on my way to work but I don't know. I have not dropped it it has been extremely well cared for. Has anybody else had an issue like this? I don't believe that I let it run down to zero I am pretty sure I shut it off when it was about 10% and turned on the back of phone and have been using that phone since yesterday.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing you already tried this... but try a force reboot with down-volume + power. Try multiple times and hold for over 10 seconds (30 to be safe).

Last week I had a completely black screen so I knew it was locked. Took multiple times with volume+power but I guess I finally held it long enough for it to reboot. Disappointing to have to do that once in a while.

The monthly security updates seem worthless. Hoping just a full overhaul with Oreo will do the trick at this point.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
What's really weird is when I plug it in to charge it I can feel it pulsating almost like a heartbeat but no charge indicator comes on and it won't turn on. When I get to work I will try the force reset at my desk

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I got it to turn on and it is now charging. I'm going to let it go all the way up and then factory reset it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
The thing that has me concerned is when it wasn't turning on before the screen would be black and I would see a bright line go across the screen then disappear when attempting to turn it on.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Is it ivrrly warm? Say 40°C or higher? A faulty charger or cable to blame. Also, I'm old style, everything ideally plugged and running off UPS clean even power supply.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It wasnt warm at all. The battery was at 10 % when I shut it down the other day and was the same this morning. Now its at 55% and going up. I'm going to factory reset

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
First time factory resetting this Note. Is it normal during the reset process for the following to appear and go away and appear etc now about 20 times in the past 5 minutes?
f87a1cd85be01eddde1ebde330788bcf.jpg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
For me... not normal. I only recall one reboot to the samsung logo one time and the reset only took a few minutes before going to the welcome screen. AT&T variant here.
It ended up showing that page probably 20 times then finally started booting and now is reloading saved apps etc

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Kind of late to recommend but after a weird sounding factory reset... I probably would have done another reset immediately after getting back to home screen just to make sure a clean reset. Hope its ok but that sounded like a long and unusual erase/reset.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I would do a 2nd reset as well, just to get an idea if the original problem was just software related or something hardware is failing, if second reset goes smooth I would be inclined to think software but if not then hardware and warranty jobbie

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Phone is backup and running now I have a dumb question. I don't see Samsung themes how do I get that?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Just had a stressful week so I've been distracted, then having the Note act up on top of it grr. I'm very tech savvy for the most part.

trust me when I say than when my first note acted up and had to go in for warranty repair, I was like a Pitbull chewing an angry wasp LOL