02-13-2018 04:56 PM
69 123
tools
    these security updates.. what are you actually worried About? For the most part just download apps from the play store only and you should be okay.
    Those security updates include security fixes the little things like BlueBorne, Spectre, and Meltdown. You might want to brush up on security. Even if you rely solely on Google's ability to ensure apps are safe (which is naive at best), it still doesn't fix vulnerabilities within the OS itself.
    02-03-2018 01:55 AM
    If anyone ever has had an issue because they didn't have a security update I might care but it's just the world of Android, everyone wants the latest number on their software even though they can not in anyway see or even guess what's different or new.
    02-03-2018 02:46 AM
    OP, my T-Mobile Note 8 just got the Jan security update. So far, Note 8 has been consistent in getting the security updates a month late but still good.
    rdubmu likes this.
    02-03-2018 10:45 AM
    OP, my T-Mobile Note 8 just got the Jan security update. So far, Note 8 has been consistent in getting the security updates a month late but still good.
    If you check it could be closer to two weeks late. The January patch on my S7 is dated January 15. So that took a couple of weeks.

Note that I am not in the US though.
    02-03-2018 11:30 AM
    If anyone ever has had an issue because they didn't have a security update I might care but it's just the world of Android, everyone wants the latest number on their software even though they can not in anyway see or even guess what's different or new.
    That has all changed with Blueborne, KRACK, and Spectre. It's no longer a joke or something to take lightly. I'm in cyber-security. I hear about a lot more than what's in the news. I don't think delaying security updates for issues like those mentioned is acceptable for any vendor. The old style malware that happened because either you downloaded an unauthorized apk, or clicked on a link you shouldn't, didn't worry me, because I know not to do that. These are completely different. You can get hacked and not even know about it. What prompted all of this was an attempted hack on me personally. It may well be that this attempt was because I'm a natural target being an exec at a cyber security company, but either way.
    gernerttl likes this.
    02-03-2018 11:35 AM
    That has all changed with Blueborne, KRACK, and Spectre. It's no longer a joke or something to take lightly. I'm in cyber-security. I hear about a lot more than what's in the news. I don't think delaying security updates for issues like those mentioned is acceptable for any vendor. The old style malware that happened because either you downloaded an unauthorized apk, or clicked on a link you shouldn't, didn't worry me, because I know not to do that. These are completely different. You can get hacked and not even know about it. What prompted all of this was an attempted hack on me personally. It may well be that this attempt was because I'm a natural target being an exec at a cyber security company, but either way.
    I think most "delays" as people like to call them is due to the carriers testing the updates to ensure it doesn't negatively impact usage. Also, each carrier has multiple devices that each have to be tested. It behooves them to ensure an update on one device not only is safe for that device, but to ensure it doesn't compromise the network as a whole. The carriers like other internet providers have to balance ensuring usability with security. Not all of the carriers' customers individual users, many of them are businesses that rely on the carriers to provide a reliable network.

I'm on Verizon, and I would rather Verizon take its time and ensure that the update works and won't break mine or my daughter's phone.
    02-03-2018 12:14 PM
    I think most "delays" as people like to call them is due to the carriers testing the updates to ensure it doesn't negatively impact usage. Also, each carrier has multiple devices that each have to be tested. It behooves them to ensure an update on one device not only is safe for that device, but to ensure it doesn't compromise the network as a whole. The carriers like other internet providers have to balance ensuring usability with security. Not all of the carriers' customers individual users, many of them are businesses that rely on the carriers to provide a reliable network.

I'm on Verizon, and I would rather Verizon take its time and ensure that the update works and won't break mine or my daughter's phone.
    Why aren't carriers taking their time with iPhones then? I mean we now have plenty of iPhone models and should probably take the same or more more effort for carriers to ensure updates don't break them.

It's just the carriers wanting and keeping an upper hand when it comes to Android manufacturers (except the unlocked ones).
    02-03-2018 02:21 PM
    Why aren't carriers taking their time with iPhones then? I mean we now have plenty of iPhone models and should probably take the same or more more effort for carriers to ensure updates don't break them.

It's just the carriers wanting and keeping an upper hand when it comes to Android manufacturers (except the unlocked ones).
    I don't think you understand the actual process. Apple submits its updates for testing and approval to each carrier. Once it gets approval from the carriers it then pushes the updates. It's all done in the background; users never see, the "sausage being made." Also, Apple does not send out monthly updates. If only does yearly OS version updates, and only pushes of "dot" updates when it finds a major bug. Which usually happens after it pushes out a version update.

Finally, Apple only supports one OS version (the latest) and it only has a few devices. When a new version of iOS is released, it stops sending out updates for earlier versions. The carriers only have to deal with Apple for ALL iOS devices. Where as Android is on a variety of devices made by a variety of OEMs. The carriers have to deal with multiple versions of Android made by several different OEMs. The OEMs, themselves have to support several devices as well as different versions of Android.

Like somebody said previously, it's the fracturing of Android that causes these issues not necessarily the carriers or to a lesser extent the OEMs.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-03-2018 02:49 PM
    As far as I know, Apple builds carrier certification into their release schedules. This is a closed system.

AOSP is an open system.

Comparing iOS updates with Android updates is literally Apples to oranges.
    02-03-2018 03:04 PM
    Received Jan 1 update on my unlocked version today.
    02-03-2018 04:25 PM
    Not cool. Antagonistic and rude. The OP is talking about updates to unlocked phones, no one equates those to carrier controls. Also, the OP explained what the solutions are not feasible for them. I'm not sure what the point of your post was but it feels like trolling to me.
    You can give your opinion, I've given mine. My original argument has been this post did not deserve to be PSA. It is basing PSA based on some "assumptions" and not facts.
    02-05-2018 08:24 AM
    You can give your opinion, I've given mine. My original argument has been this post did not deserve to be PSA. It is basing PSA based on some "assumptions" and not facts.
    Just a reminder, I asked a moderator to remove the PSA from the title, and they did. Anyway, the more I learn, the more my assumptions are in fact substantiated as facts. I still recommend that if folks want a Note 8, they will be better off getting a network locked one, paying it off and then requesting an unlock. They'll get updates more quickly.
    02-05-2018 08:27 AM
    This is where Apple shines as far as updates go. If google can do it why can't all the other manufactors do the same with updates what a scam.
    02-05-2018 08:39 AM
    This is where Apple shines as far as updates go. If google can do it why can't all the other manufactors do the same with updates what a scam.
    Not really these days. Their updates since 10.0 have been almost universally buggy as hell. Here's just the latest. https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/04/iphon...r-calls-issue/
    02-05-2018 08:41 AM
    Received Jan 1 update on my unlocked version today.
    I got my Jan 1 security update today too.
    02-05-2018 01:29 PM
    As far as I know, Apple builds carrier certification into their release schedules. This is a closed system.

AOSP is an open system.

Comparing iOS updates with Android updates is literally Apples to oranges.
    Exactly!
    02-05-2018 01:50 PM
    UK unlocked version over 500mb update today, still on Jan 1st security patch level.
    02-13-2018 01:52 AM
    Just a reminder, I asked a moderator to remove the PSA from the title, and they did. Anyway, the more I learn, the more my assumptions are in fact substantiated as facts. I still recommend that if folks want a Note 8, they will be better off getting a network locked one, paying it off and then requesting an unlock. They'll get updates more quickly.
    I bought the Verizon version and it is factory sim unlocked.
    02-13-2018 03:32 AM
    I don't think you understand the actual process. Apple submits its updates for testing and approval to each carrier. Once it gets approval from the carriers it then pushes the updates. It's all done in the background; users never see, the "sausage being made." Also, Apple does not send out monthly updates. If only does yearly OS version updates, and only pushes of "dot" updates when it finds a major bug. Which usually happens after it pushes out a version update.

Finally, Apple only supports one OS version (the latest) and it only has a few devices. When a new version of iOS is released, it stops sending out updates for earlier versions. The carriers only have to deal with Apple for ALL iOS devices. Where as Android is on a variety of devices made by a variety of OEMs. The carriers have to deal with multiple versions of Android made by several different OEMs. The OEMs, themselves have to support several devices as well as different versions of Android.

Like somebody said previously, it's the fracturing of Android that causes these issues not necessarily the carriers or to a lesser extent the OEMs.
    really clear explanation. Thanks
    gernerttl likes this.
    02-13-2018 04:56 PM
69 123