Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: PSA. Don't buy US Unlocked Note 8 if you care for quick security updates

I asked the admins to remove the phrase PSA, and they did. In all sincerity thought, one thing that is very confusing to me is why even the Unlocked version of Samsung's AOSP mods are dependent on carriers? I'm not questioning your reply. In fact that's what Samsung support told me too. I just don't understand why Samsung can't put these on some servers somewhere for official unlocked variants they sell. Huawei does this.

I believe you just got a misleading reply from one of their reps. The ROMs are quite different from carrier to carrier and between carrier and non-carrier versions here in the US. So I for one don't believe carriers control ROMs for unlocked versions. It's just Samsung not putting enough effort to push those as I bet if you get the numbers from Samsung, the people who bought the unlocked version will be far less than the ones bought from carriers.

Telstar1948

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I bought an unlocked Note 8 directly from Samsung - so, what's the story there? My security patch is also Dec 2017. I'm with Consumer Cellular, and I'm not aware that they have anything to do with updates. As far as I'm concerned, if Samsung is going to sell phones direct, they should place them at or near the head of the list for updates.

Frankly, I swore off Samsung after my Note 3. Great device, but Samsung's policies about bloatware, s-l-o-w updates and general indifference to their customers just soured the experience altogether.

Late 2017 I decided to get a new phone. I checked out a lot of phones and researched Samsung's current policies regarding bloatware and updates. All that looked much more positive than it did back in the Note 3 days. I was still hesitant, and I was really interested in the Pixel line. Nevertheless, the tipping point being the stylus and screen size, I went with the Note 8.

I've found that Samsung has improved its act. Bloatware isn't as bad and updates appear to be a little better, but I still see the same problems if a bit lesser in degree, at least outwardly. Samsung, in my opinion, still places its agenda always above its customers. Sure, they offer a lot of nice stuff, but like most corporations they do that for the bottom line (understandable they must make a profit), but unfortunately they too often leave their customers in the lurch.

At this point in my "phone life" I'll use the Note 8 for probably another year or two. I still have that "Samsung aftertaste" in my mouth because Samsung hasn't really changed it's attitude to their customers. I doubt any other phone manufacturers are much better. However, this may very well be my last Note phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I still beg to differ. I too had that thought when I bought the same from Samsung. But, turns out Carriers screw consumers royally. Guess Apple's fanbase/ popularity has allowed Apple to be in commanding position rather than cave in to the carriers. How / why that happens beats me. I wish it would change, one day.
Like I said, international unbranded.

Updates for my phone come directly from Samsung. They're not pushed by carriers.

Codiesdad

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site

Android is built on fragmentation and in US, the device manufacturer usually relies on the carriers to push the updates. Samsung is NOT delaying the updates, its the carriers. It does not want your phones to be infected with malware. Its not that Samsung cannot do anything. Its how the US cellular markets have been all throughout. Numerous people have come and gone saying "This is my last XXXXX phone". And what? Nothing changes.

Samsung even gave you an option to send in your phone / go to the service center to get the latest update. If you need the best Samsung experience and security updates, this was a viable solution, you choose to ignore it.

You have already discovered that moving to Pixel2 line is the best for you, go ahead. Its is a great phone no doubt.

Stop labeling this as a PSA.

You are not contributing anything apart from the age old information that Carriers hold the keys to push device updates. If you really care about instant updates, Use Apple/ Google.

Not cool. Antagonistic and rude. The OP is talking about updates to unlocked phones, no one equates those to carrier controls. Also, the OP explained what the solutions are not feasible for them. I'm not sure what the point of your post was but it feels like trolling to me.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Most OEMs do that. They ship last month's patch when a new month's one comes.

It's weird and silly.

It's because they need to test it on their respective networks before releasing it. The last thing any of the carriers want is their networks getting compromised over a faulty update

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

There's also the fact that if you travel, it is much better to have the unlocked model. I guess I could have bought the AT&T branded model, paid it off, then asked AT&T for an unlock. They did that on my S4..S5? I don't even rememember now becasue I have only used unlocked phones since then and when I needed to use them in strange, far away places, they took the SIM.
All Verizon phones are SIM unlocked. I can use my Verizon Note 8 anywhere. Also, depending on the country, I can even use my Verizon SIM with Travel Pass.

If a country is not part of Verizon's Travel Pass program, I just pop in a SIM from a local carrier, and voila, I'm up and talking.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

All Verizon phones are SIM unlocked. I can use my Verizon Note 8 anywhere. Also, depending on the country, I can even use my Verizon SIM with Travel Pass.

If a country is not part of Verizon's Travel Pass program, I just pop in a SIM from a local carrier, and voila, I'm up and talking.
Has Verizon been keeping up well with the Note 8 updates? Also, if you use a Verizon model on a different network, do you still get the updates same day? Thanks!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

So even for US Unlocked phones that they cell that are not tied to any network, they're dependent on carriers? That's what they told me too, but it makes no sense, and again, other manufacturers are not dependent on those carriers for official unlocked phones.

That is Samsung passing the buck and it's a brush off statement to get you to stop calling. If that were true and Samsung had no means of updating its devices, then how does it send out OS updates to its non-LTE, WiFi only devices?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Has Verizon been keeping up well with the Note 8 updates? Also, if you use a Verizon model on a different network, do you still get the updates same day? Thanks!
First question. Yes. I just got the January update a few days ago. My daughter's S7 a week before my Note 8.

As for the second question, I'm not sure. I've seen some posts saying no, but I've seen others say yes, if you load the T-mobile firmware.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
these security updates.. what are you actually worried About? For the most part just download apps from the play store only and you should be okay.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
these security updates.. what are you actually worried About? For the most part just download apps from the play store only and you should be okay.
Those security updates include security fixes the little things like BlueBorne, Spectre, and Meltdown. You might want to brush up on security. Even if you rely solely on Google's ability to ensure apps are safe (which is naive at best), it still doesn't fix vulnerabilities within the OS itself.

nndlb123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If anyone ever has had an issue because they didn't have a security update I might care but it's just the world of Android, everyone wants the latest number on their software even though they can not in anyway see or even guess what's different or new.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
OP, my T-Mobile Note 8 just got the Jan security update. So far, Note 8 has been consistent in getting the security updates a month late but still good.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
OP, my T-Mobile Note 8 just got the Jan security update. So far, Note 8 has been consistent in getting the security updates a month late but still good.
If you check it could be closer to two weeks late. The January patch on my S7 is dated January 15. So that took a couple of weeks.

Note that I am not in the US though.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
If anyone ever has had an issue because they didn't have a security update I might care but it's just the world of Android, everyone wants the latest number on their software even though they can not in anyway see or even guess what's different or new.
That has all changed with Blueborne, KRACK, and Spectre. It's no longer a joke or something to take lightly. I'm in cyber-security. I hear about a lot more than what's in the news. I don't think delaying security updates for issues like those mentioned is acceptable for any vendor. The old style malware that happened because either you downloaded an unauthorized apk, or clicked on a link you shouldn't, didn't worry me, because I know not to do that. These are completely different. You can get hacked and not even know about it. What prompted all of this was an attempted hack on me personally. It may well be that this attempt was because I'm a natural target being an exec at a cyber security company, but either way.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
That has all changed with Blueborne, KRACK, and Spectre. It's no longer a joke or something to take lightly. I'm in cyber-security. I hear about a lot more than what's in the news. I don't think delaying security updates for issues like those mentioned is acceptable for any vendor. The old style malware that happened because either you downloaded an unauthorized apk, or clicked on a link you shouldn't, didn't worry me, because I know not to do that. These are completely different. You can get hacked and not even know about it. What prompted all of this was an attempted hack on me personally. It may well be that this attempt was because I'm a natural target being an exec at a cyber security company, but either way.
I think most "delays" as people like to call them is due to the carriers testing the updates to ensure it doesn't negatively impact usage. Also, each carrier has multiple devices that each have to be tested. It behooves them to ensure an update on one device not only is safe for that device, but to ensure it doesn't compromise the network as a whole. The carriers like other internet providers have to balance ensuring usability with security. Not all of the carriers' customers individual users, many of them are businesses that rely on the carriers to provide a reliable network.

I'm on Verizon, and I would rather Verizon take its time and ensure that the update works and won't break mine or my daughter's phone.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think most "delays" as people like to call them is due to the carriers testing the updates to ensure it doesn't negatively impact usage. Also, each carrier has multiple devices that each have to be tested. It behooves them to ensure an update on one device not only is safe for that device, but to ensure it doesn't compromise the network as a whole. The carriers like other internet providers have to balance ensuring usability with security. Not all of the carriers' customers individual users, many of them are businesses that rely on the carriers to provide a reliable network.

I'm on Verizon, and I would rather Verizon take its time and ensure that the update works and won't break mine or my daughter's phone.

Why aren't carriers taking their time with iPhones then? I mean we now have plenty of iPhone models and should probably take the same or more more effort for carriers to ensure updates don't break them.

It's just the carriers wanting and keeping an upper hand when it comes to Android manufacturers (except the unlocked ones).

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Why aren't carriers taking their time with iPhones then? I mean we now have plenty of iPhone models and should probably take the same or more more effort for carriers to ensure updates don't break them.

It's just the carriers wanting and keeping an upper hand when it comes to Android manufacturers (except the unlocked ones).
I don't think you understand the actual process. Apple submits its updates for testing and approval to each carrier. Once it gets approval from the carriers it then pushes the updates. It's all done in the background; users never see, the "sausage being made." Also, Apple does not send out monthly updates. If only does yearly OS version updates, and only pushes of "dot" updates when it finds a major bug. Which usually happens after it pushes out a version update.

Finally, Apple only supports one OS version (the latest) and it only has a few devices. When a new version of iOS is released, it stops sending out updates for earlier versions. The carriers only have to deal with Apple for ALL iOS devices. Where as Android is on a variety of devices made by a variety of OEMs. The carriers have to deal with multiple versions of Android made by several different OEMs. The OEMs, themselves have to support several devices as well as different versions of Android.

Like somebody said previously, it's the fracturing of Android that causes these issues not necessarily the carriers or to a lesser extent the OEMs.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, Apple builds carrier certification into their release schedules. This is a closed system.

AOSP is an open system.

Comparing iOS updates with Android updates is literally Apples to oranges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan