Is The Note Too Big For Active Lifestyle/Outdoor Activities?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the note 8 for 14 days about a month ago, but ended up returning it for fear of it being too big for daily use. Now, I am finding myself missing it pretty bad. One of the reasons I chose to get rid of it was because I was afraid it would be too big for outdoor activities. I had the note 3 years ago and liked the larger size at first, but quickly found it to be quite bulky for everyday use. I always felt that the size was more appreciated when sedentary, but liked it much less when I was on the go. I like to do things like run, hike, mountain bike, and snowboard. It felt like the note would have been too big to comfortably keep on me while doing these activities. Does anyone feel this way? Or have others done these activities with the note 8 comfortably and with no trouble? For reference, I currently have a Galaxy S7 in a UAG case.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is The Note To Be Too Big For Active Lifestyle/Outdoor Activities?

I've gone hiking and through snow and to the beach a bunch of times and never had I had an issue with the Note 8 feeling too big or being in the way while hiking and the phone in my pocket. When it comes the the beach, yeah, just rinse it with clean water if you got seawater on it and you definitely want a screen protector/case unless you want the sand to leave scratches everywhere, but I wouldn't say it feels too big in my pocket. Now, biking, with tight spandex shorts, that's a different story (I haven't done that, but I can imagine). When I've tried to use the phone on an arm band, I do notice the weight/size, but I would probably notice an S7, too.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I run, maybe avg 30 miles a week. I'm 5'-3" and have an arm band when it's hot and in my jacket pocket when it's cold. Never felt like it was too big.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site

The only time this phone is too big is when you have the OtterBox defender case on it. The phone is good size and easy to handle.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

I had the note 8 for 14 days about a month ago, but ended up returning it for fear of it being too big for daily use. Now, I am finding myself missing it pretty bad. One of the reasons I chose to get rid of it was because I was afraid it would be too big for outdoor activities. I had the note 3 years ago and liked the larger size at first, but quickly found it to be quite bulky for everyday use. I always felt that the size was more appreciated when sedentary, but liked it much less when I was on the go. I like to do things like run, hike, mountain bike, and snowboard. It felt like the note would have been too big to comfortably keep on me while doing these activities. Does anyone feel this way? Or have others done these activities with the note 8 comfortably and with no trouble? For reference, I currently have a Galaxy S7 in a UAG case.

It's not at all to big for outdoor lifestyle. I go deer hunting almost every day and not once have I thought it was too big or going to break. And I don't tree stand hunt at all. I bust brush and hike through the woods.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

It's really much narrower that any iPhone plus up to the 8. I can say it's never felt too big for me. Plus you have an FM radio.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I really miss the note already. When I returned it, I thought I would wait for the s9, but more and more rumors make it seem like the s9 will be a glorified s8 with a bigger price tag. The best features look to be reserved for the s9+, which I hate to see. I don't know why Samsung has to copy Apple and why they can't offer the same features in both phones.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Where do I start? Use Mine for hiking for indoor workouts for cycling workouts for walking dogs all over the place I have no problems at all with it

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site

I don't carry a phone when mountain biking because there is no cell service on the trails. I have a Garmin InReach for that. Not so big, expensive, or fragile and works anywhere on the planet.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I've gone hiking, biking, to the beach, and camping with mine and I didn't feel it was two big. I had an S8+ and an iPhone 6 Plus previously though, so I was already used to the size.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Buy one of those cords or rings you attach to the back of the case. Problem solved

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I should also mention that when I had the note 8, I had it in a UAG monarch case which may have contributed to the bulky feel. I loved the way the phone felt naked, but definitely have to have a protective case. The monarch may have been a little bulkier than other protective cases.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Andy you should have GPS service on the trails. I don't trail ride, I do mainly well paved trails and roads. I go through some fairly rural areas sometimes - have the phone on the bike handlebar in a secure holder that shows me the display screen for easy viewing of my map.

Garmin has quite a few nice devices out there too.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Individual preference for sure. Some of us won't even think about carrying a phone when doing some of those activities.

I don't know where the rest of you are in your lives but when I'm out for a walk/run or at the beach I'm trying to get away from everyone so a smartwatch w/ bluetooth earbuds is plenty fine for me . .

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site

Andy you should have GPS service on the trails.
Yes, and Iridium satellite service too.
Andy you should have GPS service on the trails. I don't trail ride, I do mainly well paved trails and roads.
Mostly offroad for me, and the trails can get quite bumpy. Even the roads aren't that smooth since they downgraded to chipseal.
I go through some fairly rural areas sometimes - have the phone on the bike handlebar in a secure holder that shows me the display screen for easy viewing of my map.
I don't think my Note 8 would survive if I did that.
Garmin has quite a few nice devices out there too.
The InReach devices came to Garmin when they acquired Delorme. They offer (in addition to GPS navigation) texting and SOS capabilities.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I got rid of the Note 8 months ago because it was too big to use for jogging and other everyday uses, but that's because I have small hands.

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

well clearly it's not meant for everybody this is why Samsung has the : S, S+, and then the Note series the note is a series of its own it's not there flagship phone so it can be as big as they like but the S and S+ is for those who want a Samsung device that's competes with the industry of mobile devices n for ur preference they give u a plus size version of the flagship phone....exactly why they all have the same software.......duh these comments are unbelievable.....smh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith