Samsung's UI will always be better than stock

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: i don't understand why people like Stock Android so much?

everyone is gonna have their favorites. I really used to like the Samsung devices and just grew tired of the lag and slowing down of the devices after 6 months or so. i grew to really like the pixel devices because they just work. their reliable, great battery life and just do what I need it to do always without the app crashes and stuttering. to each their own for sure. Google and Samsung both do a great job it just so happens in my opinion Google does a slightly better job..

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

Seems like 99% if the people wanting stock and timely updates are or would be choosing Essential Phone.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Except the essential phones camera by all accounts sucks.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

Pixel 2 XL for Android and photography for $300 extra, or carry a real camera, Canon or Nikon

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Seems like 99% if the people wanting stock and timely updates are or would be choosing Essential Phone.

er... what? It has "stock", but not timely updates. 8.1 has been official for a month now and Essential still doesn't have official 8.0 rolled out. They're running a beta still at this point, and that's a beta on a build that's been available to the public for 4.5 months. They did just release the January security patch yesterday, but it is still on Nougat. Essential was beaten to Oreo by HTC, Huawei, LG (Korea only), Moto, Sony, HMD (Nokia) and Xiaomi.

Essential needs to hit the bricks if they want to be even in the first ten OEM's to push Oreo out to a device.

Also takes a hit on camera, which you addressed but not in a way that makes up for it. Carrying an iPhone 8 Plus for photos would only make sense if you were specifically trying not to buy the Pixel 2 despite the desire for timely updates and "stock". And even then ... the Pixel is still technically going to be the stronger camera for many use cases.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Also, don't get me started on the bad scrolling and overall performance of the Essential phone plus the crappy camera. If someone wants stock experience and fast updates (platform + security) then Pixel is the best option by a long shot. If updates are not important and want stock like software out of the box then I with say One plus or Motorola phones.
Essential phone is one of the worst phones I have used in recent memory apart from the design, build and feel. It feels like their software was developed and maintained by five year olds, so many bugs and performance issues even after multiple updates.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

HTC Sense looks old fashioned. how can you use that?
LG skin seem's good,
Samsung experience UX 8.5 is the best, well most people do agree with me.

so if you want Android phone with the most features, overloaded with features, packed out with features and want alot of fun with your phone to mess around with then get Galaxy Note 8.

if you want fast updates and major updates for 3 years but boring phone then get Pixel 2XL

if you just want stock android only then get Oneplus 5T is alot cheaper then pixel 2 XL.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

if you just want stock android only then get Oneplus 5T is alot cheaper then pixel 2 XL.

Hmm, OnePlus 5T isn't "stock", it's a totally different ROM.

Also the idea that the Pixel 2 XL is "boring" seems a little far fetched.

The Note 8 has 2 features that aren't shared by almost every single device running Android: S-Pen, Samsung Pay (and obviously all modern Samsung phones have this as well). That's it. Everything else is just an app and can be handled by just installing an app. The "most features, overloaded with features, packed out with features" statement is completely ill-informed. 2 features is hardly anything to get excited about unless those two features are exactly the differentiation you want in a device. Otherwise we could look at all the other devices that have 1 or 2 features that you can't get on Samsung, and we'd have to call those the device with "the most features, overloaded with features, packed out with features". And doing that would be 100% as incorrect for the exact same reasons.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

someone tell me this guy is joking? .
your wrong am very sorry to say!
Samsung phones have the best theme store...i haven't seen anyother OEM beat Samsung theme store yet !
for example look at Dark knight theme, iron man theme. phone dialer changes with theme that looks professional.
Always on display is very customisable on Note 8...which other OEM AOD is feature rich?
which OEM web browser can beat Samsung internet browser?
tells you if you got a scam call, telemarketing call, and so on. (build-in Smart Call)
build in phone animated GIF making, Smart select.
i can mention alot more but i don't have enough time, i need sleep. so good night.

maybe someone else on here can tell you more.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

someone tell me this guy is joking? .
your wrong am very sorry to say!
Samsung phones have the best theme store...i haven't seen anyother OEM beat Samsung theme store yet !
for example look at Dark knight theme, iron man theme. phone dialer changes with theme that looks professional.
Always on display is very customisable on Note 8...which other OEM AOD is feature rich?
which OEM web browser can beat Samsung internet browser?
tells you if you got a scam call, telemarketing call, and so on. (build-in Smart Call)
build in phone animated GIF making, Smart select.
i can mention alot more but i don't have enough time, i need sleep. so good night.

maybe someone else on here can tell you more.
Um...

1) You can download the Samsung browser on other phones.

2) The Google Dialer can also do SMART alerts for spam and fraudulent calls.

Yes, Smart Select and the like are Galaxy staples, which is why I picked the Note as my daily because I use those daily. But what if you don't? What if you literally don't care about the extra features? What if you're the "set it once and forget it" kind of person? What if you prioritize updates over features?

The Pixel exists for those people.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

yes, true...but with stock android you have to download 3rd party app's from the Google Play Store to get extra feature's which are not good as the build in one's you get from Samsung, LG, OnePlus etc

with other OEM no need to download 3rd party app's that are not good enough..as explained in the video above.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

yes, true...but with stock android you have to download 3rd party app's from the Google Play Store to get extra feature's which are not good as the build in one's you get from Samsung, LG, OnePlus etc

with other OEM no need to download 3rd party app's that are not good enough..as explained in the video above.

And things like security patches / bug fixes / new OS features you can't get on a Samsung phone unless you do 3rd party apps or possible wait months to get these updates (if you do).

Same thing .. different side ;).

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

Samsung app's are also on the Google Play store for faster security patches, bug fixes.
apkmirror dot com web sites also has the latest Samsung APK files.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Samsung app's are also on the Google Play store for faster security patches, bug fixes.
apkmirror dot com web sites also has the latest Samsung APK files.

That still isn't OS level bugs -- that is app bugs. Different things :).

As I said it is a preference thing. It will go round and round. If you use Samsung apps then you want Samsung. I use zero Samsung apps so I see no benefit from it.