Want to come back to Android

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Good morning all. Ive been thinking hard recently on coming back to android. The Note 8 in Deep Sea Blue is really pulling at me. There is a very good chance I’ll be getting ine today since best buy has them on sale. What are tge pro/cons with the note 8. Previous iphone users chime in. Thanks for your opinions.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone through work two years ago. For me, I love the customization options on Android and there's basically nothing my phone can't do that I want it to. Beast of a phone and keeps up with all personal and business activities I use it for. For me the no restrictions of the Note 8 is a major plus.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
And for me, Samsung Pay is another major plus!
Samsung pay is a game changer. Super convenient, I use it daily.

I can't think of any cons with this phone. My only minor complaint is that the in call volume is too low but I rarely use my phone for actual calls. It's easily the best phone I've ever used.

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
The cons are that it maybe too big for some and, well, that's about it.

The pros are numerous. The screen is superb, it's an absolute beast speed wise and if you buy into the whole S Pen thing it'll become invaluable. I also have an iPhone 7 and it feels prehistoric compared to the Note 8.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The cons for me, and it applies to almost all phones now, is the lack of removable battery - but I guess I'll have to get used to that if I ever want to upgrade, because removable batteries aren't coming back. But considering that the Note 9 will be out in about 7 months, and start to come down from the initial price a month later, I'l wait.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 7, and I chose between the X and the Note8. Pros for the Note is the display, customization and the S Pen. Performance wise, they're on par and if you're not tied to the Apple ecosystem, it's really at parity right now and iPhones lack certain features also. Cons are size, price and fragility.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
the only part I wish was bigger is the battery. the note series is made to be a work horse. I'm not saying it's bad but it should go a full day with very heavy usage.

also mentioned is the fragility. I wish they would stop making it pretty and give a flat screened active. Price I am fine with. I never got the complaint about the price. It's a top end phone that is used every day, all day to do everything. You might also miss imessage, there is no substitute right now. The size can be unwieldy for one hand user, but it's a suburban not a smart car.

Really, this has been a very solid phone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Amy pretty much summed it up for me as well. I had an iPhone for about a year and a half. I came back into the Android /Samsung fold with the S8+, then I jumped to the Note 8. I had the Note 2, and thought it was way too big. But with Samsung's new designs, I figured I'd give them a try again.

I have no problems with using it while traveling on business . It doesn't feel that big, even in my pocket. I've taken it camping and hiking. It's kinda like the Simone Biles of phones. It's really powerful, it does everything well, and it comes in relatively small package.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
the only part I wish was bigger is the battery. the note series is made to be a work horse. I'm not saying it's bad but it should go a full day with very heavy usage.

also mentioned is the fragility. I wish they would stop making it pretty and give a flat screened active. Price I am fine with. I never got the complaint about the price. It's a top end phone that is used every day, all day to do everything. You might also miss imessage, there is no substitute right now. The size can be unwieldy for one hand user, but it's a suburban not a smart car.

Really, this has been a very solid phone.

The iPhone is priced to build at about $350. I cannot imagine the Note8 being much more. Maybe $500. Does it really need to be at almost a 100% margin on build cost?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone is priced to build at about $350. I cannot imagine the Note8 being much more. Maybe $500. Does it really need to be at almost a 100% margin on build cost?

Why not? Not saying I like it but considering what it does it's really not oyt of line. But does that cost also include wages, shipping, packaging, marketing, insurance, ect. The original Motorola startac was $1,000, BlackBerry 5810 was$500, first Motorola Razr $350, first iPhone $400. Not going to bother with inflation. So $1,000 for what a Note 8, iPhones 8/X can do, I don't have to like it, but I get it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That overhead from production cost is not all margin. What a lot of people seem to forget is that build cost only covers the parts. You should also factor in the cost of software development for 2 years onward. The security updates last for 3 years on Samsung flagships. Apple has a longer lifespan for major updates than Android as well. Those software engineers and the designers didn't do their work for free you know. For the Apple, the likely actual cost of the device including the software is probably closer to 800USD. Then you slap on the margins for the stores, then margins for Apple as well. Same holds true for Samsung.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did. I got the note 8 in Deep Sea Blue, a 64gb micro sd card, and the Seidio Dilex case in Kryptek Typhon. Love It!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The note trumps most devices IMO. I have the iPhone x and the note both have good and bad points but the note all in all is the best of the two devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz