Zagg NEW Curve Elite Protector

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I found out yesterday that the Curve Elite will crack just like any other. The good thing is that cracks that propagate across the screen are almost invisible. Now the worst part is that my phone was on the seat of my truck all day and I did even touch it. Nothing lying on the seat. I'm not sure what happened, but it was obviously hit by something because where the cracks started is a small shattered spot.

Unhappy, but not dissatisfied,
BigRedGonzo

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I found out yesterday that the Curve Elite will crack just like any other. The good thing is that cracks that propagate across the screen are almost invisible. Now the worst part is that my phone was on the seat of my truck all day and I did even touch it. Nothing lying on the seat. I'm not sure what happened, but it was obviously hit by something because where the cracks started is a small shattered spot.

Unhappy, but not dissatisfied,
BigRedGonzo

I take it that the actual screen was OK?

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I got mine the first week in February. Check this YouTube review out. When the guy installs the protector, you can clearly see the sides have no black edge on them.
https://youtu.be/O_Cz-tUKdXE

If yours looks different, call Zagg and complain.

I just looked carefully at mine again. Perhaps I see what you are talking about. What you are looking at, I think, is the very edge of the glass. It is by no means 1/8th of an inch. It is just the thickness of the tempered glass itself. Because the curve doesn't come down over the entire sides of the screen, but rather lays closer to horizontal, you can see the glass edge of the protector. (And the edge of any glass isn't clear. Some window glass, for example, is green on the edges.)
The protector edges are not colored black. It just looks that way, because light doesn't pass though the very edge of any glass. If the protector curved further downward towards the back of the phone, you wouldn't be seeing the edge of the protector. I am guessing that Zagg didn't curve it downward more, in order to insure better case compatibility. It may also allow the protector to adhere better, too.

In the two pictures you can clearly see there's a black line running down the edges those are both from their site

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180209-153859.jpg
    Screenshot_20180209-153859.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20180209-153853.jpg
    Screenshot_20180209-153853.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 48

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
If you don't have the black border then you received a different screen protector by mistake, there should be a black border going down both sides of the glass you can call zagg and they will send you a new one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180210-015649.jpg
    Screenshot_20180210-015649.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 52

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have the black border then you received a different screen protector by mistake, there should be a black border going down both sides of the glass you can call zagg and they will send you a new one

So now you like your black borders and think I am missing out without them and should order a replacement with them?
I thought before they bugged you?
Apparently you changed your mind about them. Otherwise, why would you suggest I switch?

Frankly, it wouldn't be an issue for me, one way or the other, black borders or not. I am just glad that this new Zagg has no sensitivity issues for me and I am glad it promises better protection than the old one.

Is it or any other screen protector perfect? Probably not. Only a naked screen could be. If I was bugged enough by any protector for any reason, I would probably just remove it, and be extra careful with my phone. Moreover, it then wouldn't be the end of the world or break the bank if my unprotected screen got broken. Screens can be replaced.

Last edited:

dannyb884

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This picture is not a photo. Did you see the lines in the video link I sent you?

The protector in the video you posted isn't the Elite. The box just says "Glass Curve." the Elite says Elite right on the box. This is probably why yours didn't have the black border. My Elite has the 1/8 in black border. It's the ONLY issue I have with this protector.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
The protector in the video you posted isn't the Elite. The box just says "Glass Curve." the Elite says Elite right on the box. This is probably why yours didn't have the black border. My Elite has the 1/8 in black border. It's the ONLY issue I have with this protector.

I stand corrected about that link. It was the old Zagg. But check out the other reviews about the Elite Curve on YouTube. Nobody, yet, in any of those reviews makes mention about the black edges that seems to bother you so much. Apparently, they don't see them as a problem.

BTW, there is no question that I have the Elite Curve. The box clearly states so. I also had some bubble issues that you couldn't get with the old Curve, that I corrected by lifting part of the protector and working them out as I relayed it. My eyes may not be as good as yours, but during that process, I didn't notice a 1/8 inch black edge. If it was there it certainly was less than 1/8 in in width, which would have been hard to miss. ( But to be honest, I wasn't really looking that close for it, either.)

I am not telling you not to care about the black edges, because obviously you are bothered by what you see. I am just saying that I could care less about them, particularly since they aren't that obvious to me as they are to you.

Last edited:

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
So now you like your black borders and think I am missing out without them and should order a replacement with them?
I thought before they bugged you?
Apparently you changed your mind about them. Otherwise, why would you suggest I switch?

Frankly, it wouldn't be an issue for me, one way or the other, black borders or not. I am just glad that this new Zagg has no sensitivity issues for me and I am glad it promises better protection than the old one.

Is it or any other screen protector perfect? Probably not. Only a naked screen could be. If I was bugged enough by any protector for any reason, I would probably just remove it, and be extra careful with my phone. Moreover, it then wouldn't be the end of the world or break the bank if my unprotected screen got broken. Screens can be replaced.

Dont know what your issue is never said you should switch out, what i said is you dont have the elite if you read what i said you would see that

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I stand corrected about that link. It was the old Zagg. But check out the other reviews about the Elite Curve on YouTube. Nobody, yet, in any of those reviews makes mention about the black edges that seems to bother you so much. Apparently, they don't see them as a problem.

BTW, there is no question that I have the Elite Curve. The box clearly states so. I also had some bubble issues that you couldn't get with the old Curve, that I corrected by lifting part of the protector and working them out as I relayed it. My eyes may not be as good as yours, but during that process, I didn't notice a 1/8 inch black edge. If it was there it certainly was less than 1/8 in in width, which would have been hard to miss. ( But to be honest, I wasn't really looking that close for it, either.)

I am not telling you not to care about the black edges, because obviously you are bothered by what you see. I am just saying that I could care less about them, particularly since they aren't that obvious to me as they are to you.

Then you clearly are not listening to what i have said or just being arrogant, ive provided you with enough evidence from pictures to other forum posts, you clearly do not have the elite if your not seeing a black border around the edges, not to mention that i just posted a picture that was showing zagg screwed up and sent the saphire glass not the elite

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Then you clearly are not listening to what i have said or just being arrogant, ive provided you with enough evidence from pictures to other forum posts, you clearly do not have the elite if your not seeing a black border around the edges, not to mention that i just posted a picture that was showing zagg screwed up and sent the saphire glass not the elite

4968.jpg
This a photograph of the box of what was sent to me. Proof enough what is on my phone?
You're right this protector sucks.
It does have thick black edges and I hate it too. I fully agree with you. I am arrogant. You win!
Happy, now?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 279032
This a photograph of the box of what was sent to me. Proof enough what is on my phone?
It does have thick black edges and I hate it too. I fully agree with you. I am arrogant. You win!
Happy, now?
Wow, even the picture on your packaging clearly shows the black border. I guess it is quite possible you are one of the people who got shipped an older version "mistakenly" sent in Elite packaging. Either that or they had a change (or error) in some production run.

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 279032
Happy, now?

Wow you truly can't say when you were wrong can you you have to be a jerk about it, here let me make it simple for you, if you do not have the black border around the edges you don't have the elite you have the older sapphire one in other words border=elite, no border=not elite, im happy I could dumb it down for you

newage120

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Wow, even the picture on your packaging clearly shows the black border. I guess it is quite possible you are one of the people who got shipped an older version "mistakenly" sent in Elite packaging. Either that or they had a change (or error) in some production run.

I've been trying to tell him this but I don't think he can read a full post

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow you truly can't say when you were wrong can you you have to be a jerk about it, here let me make it simple for you, if you do not have the black border around the edges you don't have the elite you have the older sapphire one in other words border=elite, no border=not elite, im happy I could dumb it down for you

Thank you for all your help and kind words! Now that I hope you are finished with setting me straight, might I suggest you take some time and look in the mirror.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I agree the drawings on the box clearly shows the black edges. But, I don't think they that they are that obvious on the phone. Some might disagree.

Furthermore, Zagg never made the Saphire protector for the N8, although they did for the S8. Therefore, it would be impossible for them to send me, by mistake, one for the N8 that would fit it. At the same time, that mistake could have been made, with the S8 version.

Now, just for argument sake, it was possible, don't you think the Verizon representative who removed my old Zagg and installed the Elite that I got from Zagg wouldn't have mentioned that it looks just like the old one? Instead, he said he liked the full screen adhesive and that he planned to get the Elite for his own N8. (Mine was the first he installed. Verizon had not had them in stock.)

Last edited:

bigcanoe

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Are their black edges or is this the way the glass is beveled so that it just looks this way? Personally, I dont care, I just want a tempered glass screen protector that has adhesive everywhere, works well with touch and the pen, and costs less than $50!

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Are their black edges or is this the way the glass is beveled so that it just looks this way? Personally, I dont care, I just want a tempered glass screen protector that has adhesive everywhere, works well with touch and the pen, and costs less than $50!

Apparently there are black edges, but until they were pointed out to me, I didn't notice them. Now, that I see them, they don't bother me. Like you, I care more that it works well. So far, it does.

Another thing that perhaps hasn't been mentioned, is that the new Elite seem to be more fingerprint resistant than the old Zagg.