won't connect to 5ghz wifi

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything under the sun with the phone and home router . Outside of sending it in for service has anyone had a solution

jevalladares

Samsung Galaxy S6 Champion
Q&A Team
Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi @ajbbrad71

I had the exact same issue with my Galaxy S6 these last couple of days. I decided to investigate further on the matter and solved it.

First of all for some reason Galaxy S6 phones (This can apply to other devices) only see some 5Ghz channles, most of the US phones will be able to see 36, 38, 40, 44 5Ghz Channels while other will see 153 Ghz like my phone. I found this out after some trail an error.

So, in short change the settings in your router. My personal recomendations are:
  1. Have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 Ghz
  2. Leave Wireless A on the 5Ghz band and have Mixed B/G and N on the 2.4 GHz (that way you leave a fast writeless connection to cover more areas of the house.
  3. Change the channel settings to a fixed one; for 2.4 Ghz use the less crowed channel (You can use the WiFi Analyzer proposed by Gayle Lynn for this) and for 5 Ghz use the Channel that your phone* can see. This will be trial and error until you find a channel that your phone is set up.

* According to internet forums from several websites US phones can see Channel 36 and probably 40 and 44. Other phones especially outside the US can see channels 153.

Hope this helps. I had to do it since in my neighborhood the 2.4 Ghz band was very, very crowded on all channels and I had frequent connection problems or slow internet connections. Please see the attached screenshot of my router settings.

Linksys Router.png

Have a good day

Erasmo

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi @ajbbrad71

I had the exact same issue with my Galaxy S6 these last couple of days. I decided to investigate further on the matter and solved it.

First of all for some reason Galaxy S6 phones (This can apply to other devices) only see some 5Ghz channles, most of the US phones will be able to see 36, 38, 40, 44 5Ghz Channels while other will see 153 Ghz like my phone. I found this out after some trail an error.

So, in short change the settings in your router. My personal recomendations are:
  1. Have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5 Ghz
  2. Leave Wireless A on the 5Ghz band and have Mixed B/G and N on the 2.4 GHz (that way you leave a fast writeless connection to cover more areas of the house.
  3. Change the channel settings to a fixed one; for 2.4 Ghz use the less crowed channel (You can use the WiFi Analyzer proposed by Gayle Lynn for this) and for 5 Ghz use the Channel that your phone* can see. This will be trial and error until you find a channel that your phone is set up.

* According to internet forums from several websites US phones can see Channel 36 and probably 40 and 44. Other phones especially outside the US can see channels 153.

Hope this helps. I had to do it since in my neighborhood the 2.4 Ghz band was very, very crowded on all channels and I had frequent connection problems or slow internet connections. Please see the attached screenshot of my router settings.

View attachment 279346

Have a good day

Erasmo

Thanks, that's what i did changed channels on 5ghz and it's works perfect now

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis