I tried Samsung Pay today

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And, well, it didn’t work as I had expected.

Long story short, I was at Levi’s getting some clothes. When it was time to check out, I decided to give Samsung Pay a shot.

Levi’s was listed as a merchant on Samsung’s website but in this particular store, the cashier told me that I can try but can’t guarantee that it will work since they are using an older terminal that requires a local wired connection and a magnetic swipe. Tried it and while the terminal beeped, it seemed that the transaction had failed as nothing came out. Decided to just go back to the old method.

Well, that didn’t go as well as I had hoped.

It might work better on the newer terminals which do magstripe and NFC though, but I need to test that first.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

Long story short, I was at Levi’s getting some clothes. When it was time to check out, I decided to give Samsung Pay a shot.

Levi’s was listed as a merchant on Samsung’s website but in this particular store, the cashier told me that I can try but can’t guarantee that it will work since they are using an older terminal that requires a local wired connection and a magnetic swipe. Tried it and while the terminal beeped, it seemed that the transaction had failed as nothing came out. Decided to just go back to the old method.

It might work better on the newer terminals which do magstripe and NFC though, but I need to test that first.

I've used it at every type of terminal very old and new ones and it has never failed me. Even those ones that are attached to the screens. Did you try both credit and debit. The times it wouldn't read the first try I would try again under credit and it would work. My gear S3 Samsung pay seems to be even faster than my Note 8 when it comes to using it on those old card readers.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've used it at every type of terminal very old and new ones and it has never failed me. Even those ones that are attached to the screens. Did you try both credit and debit. The times it wouldn't read the first try I would try again under credit and it would work. My gear S3 Samsung pay seems to be even faster than my Note 8 when it comes to using it on those old card readers.
When you're new at Samsung Pay it takes a little time to get used to it. Some terminals require debit, some credit, some don't matter which. Some are more sensitive- there's a Cracker Barrel by us that it tool me five tries. Ended up having to remove the case. Most terminals though work fine with the case it's a matter of position.

I use it no problem at:Starbucks, Walmart, Sams Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Sheetz, Country Fair, Pilot, Get go, various vending machines, Applebees, Paninis, Ruby Tuesdays, Dollar General, various mall stores including ones with old keyboard and monitor mount card readers, McDonald's, Giant Eagle And Heinens (grocers), Ham N More, and probably a lot more. Those are what I could think of for now.

Mcislak

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work for you. I used it for the first five times today and racked up almost 1600 points. Everything went flawless. Just as good as apple pay plus the extra bonus of rewards points. Will be sticking with Samsung pay from now on

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work for you. I used it for the first five times today and racked up almost 1600 points. Everything went flawless. Just as good as apple pay plus the extra bonus of rewards points. Will be sticking with Samsung pay from now on
I don’t see much issue with the tech itself. MST can be flaky on some older terminals but others have had no issue, so it’s odd to me.

The real issue is getting cashiers to actually let me use it. Many stores in my area have a “Samsung Pay Accepted Here” sticker, so they’re fine with it, but others aren’t. They are either reluctant or downright refuse to allow you to use it without “consequences”.

To answer some questions, that terminal mainly supports credit, and that’s what I tend to use. I very rarely use debit.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don’t see much issue with the tech itself. MST can be flaky on some older terminals but others have had no issue, so it’s odd to me.

The real issue is getting cashiers to actually let me use it. Many stores in my area have a “Samsung Pay Accepted Here” sticker, so they’re fine with it, but others aren’t. They are either reluctant or downright refuse to allow you to use it without “consequences”.

To answer some questions, that terminal mainly supports credit, and that’s what I tend to use. I very rarely use debit.

On older ones you have to get it in that right spot above the card swipe slot (pretty much touching the terminal) and it works.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

What consequences? I had a cashier at the mall refuse to let me use Samsung pay, when I had used it before there. I left all my stuff on the counter and walked out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What consequences? I had a cashier at the mall refuse to let me use Samsung pay, when I had used it before there. I left all my stuff on the counter and walked out.
That’s what I’ll do.

It’s just so needlessly frustrating. The tech is alive and well but the mindset of some still hasn’t caught up. I remember the time a guy got called the cops called on because he used Samsung Pay to buy something and the cashier thought he hacked the terminal even though he clearly explained what Samsung Pay actually is and showed the receipt showing that the transaction went through.

Mama2Many

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Is Samsung Pay accepted more places than Android Pay? And can you have both on your phone and use whichever one you like at the time?

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have cashier's tell me all the time, "Apple pay doesn't work here" and I have to school them that it isn't Apple pay and it will work, you just have to use credit. it happened today at Kmart and the girl was amazed that it works. I use it at least 3 times a day, you have to just make it work.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I have had one fail yet... but I do remember though that the first few times I was new to this and it tooks 2-3 attempts before getting it right. Once I figured the sweet spot for me, it has been pretty much a quick success every time.

In the beginning I didn't know where exactly on the card reader or if I should wave it an inch or two above the reader where there is usually a NFC logo or to the right where the strip or whether having a case was causing an issue. I even waved it over the keypad.

But what I found works for me... I go straight for the magnetic strip reader. I bring my phone to the reader and touch my phone making contact on the reader where you'd slide your card normally. I basically touch the top of my phone to the top of the reader so that the middle of the phone is directly over the middle part of the reader. Using a spigen case.

I think the NFC/MST transmitter is where the wireless charge coil is so I want it as close to the middle of the card read as possible. It usually detects within 2-5 seconds and processes so much faster than inserting the card into the chip reader.

Never had a person stop me from using it. I don't give them a chance cause by the time they hit the total button I have PINned by Samsung Pay and the phone is touching the reader. By the time they try to say, "I don't think... "... <beep> it processes lol.

Give it a few more tries and you'll probably get it working.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I have had one fail yet... but I do remember though that the first few times I was new to this and it tooks 2-3 attempts before getting it right. Once I figured the sweet spot for me, it has been pretty much a quick success every time.

In the beginning I didn't know where exactly on the card reader or if I should wave it an inch or two above the reader where there is usually a NFC logo or to the right where the strip or whether having a case was causing an issue. I even waved it over the keypad.

But what I found works for me... I go straight for the magnetic strip reader. I bring my phone to the reader and touch my phone making contact on the reader where you'd slide your card normally. I basically touch the top of my phone to the top of the reader so that the middle of the phone is directly over the middle part of the reader. Using a spigen case.

I think the NFC/MST transmitter is where the wireless charge coil is so I want it as close to the middle of the card read as possible. It usually detects within 2-5 seconds and processes so much faster than inserting the card into the chip reader.

Never had a person stop me from using it. I don't give them a chance cause by the time they hit the total button I have PINned by Samsung Pay and the phone is touching the reader. By the time they try to say, "I don't think... "... it processes lol.

Give it a few more tries and you'll probably get it working.
I'm not giving up yet.

I had it close to the magstripe reader. I'll probably try again when I can. Many of my stores have an NFC reader too, however, so I'll try those too when I can.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I generally don't have a problem with Android Pay except lately at McDonalds. For some stupid reason, their kiosks don't take Android Pay if I have it set to use my Credit Union Visa. But if I pay at the counter it does work. Really weird.

Liskrig

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
The more I try and use Samsung Pay, the more I find that it works less and less. I am traveling for business for 2 weeks and went to a Kroger (local grocery chain) for some snacks and tried Samsung Pay at the cashier, it was processing for quite a while until it eventually declined. Tried it again at the same store (self-checkout) and the same thing.

I can get it to work at Walmart, but it requires me to keep the phone held up to the terminal as I enter my PIN, cash back, etc before the phone stops transmitting.

I've never gotten it to work at a CVS (debit, credit,)

Target is 50/50 sometimes taking 2-3 attempts.

Yet a local cheese shop I frequent gladly accepts it first time, every time.

It's embarrassing when it fails. It's great when it works.

randyltodd

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. I use my S3 watch and only have a couple of stores where it didn't work. cracker Barrel, and Lowe's. I think it may be the credit versus debit issue someone mentioned above. I'll have to try this. But Samsung Pay and S3 are awesome. Thank you, Samsung.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just because they say it doesn't work doesn't mean it doesn't work. How to use Samsung pay in an old credit card terminal with the credit card swipe in the keyboard from the 80s. The age of the credit card machine has no bearing on whether Samsung pay works. There's a 95% chance it'll work and even if it doesn't don't feel bad they should have NFC anyway but they don't. I don't even have a my wallet with me I don't have a wallet I only use Samsung pay like I said it works at 95% of places. If you have any questions hit me up at @Androideducator on Twitter

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. I use my S3 watch and only have a couple of stores where it didn't work. cracker Barrel, and Lowe's. I think it may be the credit versus debit issue someone mentioned above. I'll have to try this. But Samsung Pay and S3 are awesome. Thank you, Samsung.
Funny you said cracker barrel. I've used samsung pay twice there in probably a 7 day time frame. Each time I did have to try probably 4 or 5 times. normally first try and it goes through in most stores.

I've used it at Lowes and Home depot without issue.

Sometimes I find removing the case helps if the transponder is particularly fussy.

superdlb

Feb 12, 2018
Visit site
I have cashier's tell me all the time, "Apple pay doesn't work here" and I have to school them that it isn't Apple pay and it will work, you just have to use credit. it happened today at Kmart and the girl was amazed that it works. I use it at least 3 times a day, you have to just make it work.

Dave I had a very comical event with Samsung Pay, I was at a convenience store and pulled out my phone to pay, the cashier didn't say anything but the manager was standing behind her next to his office, he told me that they didn't accept payments by phone I continue to get my phone ready to pay, the manager got very aggravated and began to be belligerent and was yelling at me they don't accept pay by phone. All I said to him is just wait and maybe it will work, so by now the cashier has me ready to check out I put my phone up to the terminal and immediately the card scanner just made a ping noise and it worked.
By now the cashier is trying to hold back her laughter. I then told the manager that he should not try to make himself seem smarter than others because he had just been shown better, he just runs to his office then the cashier had told me that she was glad someone put him in his place, the next time I was there he was not the manager.:cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08