I tried Samsung Pay today

superdlb

Feb 12, 2018
Visit site
I have problems using Samsung Pay at Lowes, Tractor supply, and sometimes Home Depot. I believe that it is something that the cashier does on their key pad because I have used it at all 3 locations at times, depends on who your cashier is. the times i was successful the cashier had to go back and change something and then it will work, the problem is that most cashiers at these stores are to lazy to do the changes.:cool:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have problems using Samsung Pay at Lowes, Tractor supply, and sometimes Home Depot. I believe that it is something that the cashier does on their key pad because I have used it at all 3 locations at times, depends on who your cashier is. the times i was successful the cashier had to go back and change something and then it will work, the problem is that most cashiers at these stores are to lazy to do the changes.:cool:
Go with a self pay register when possible. Our Home Depot has one and it works well there

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That’s what I’ll do.

It’s just so needlessly frustrating. The tech is alive and well but the mindset of some still hasn’t caught up. I remember the time a guy got called the cops called on because he used Samsung Pay to buy something and the cashier thought he hacked the terminal even though he clearly explained what Samsung Pay actually is and showed the receipt showing that the transaction went through.

That would be me. Girl is OK with me using my phone, though :p haha

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Lowe's, at least, is officially blocking those. They're pushing HARD to use chips on credit card transactions, so yeah, that's on them. Not all stores are 'updated' but most are now.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Lowe's, at least, is officially blocking those. They're pushing HARD to use chips on credit card transactions, so yeah, that's on them. Not all stores are 'updated' but most are now.
Not sure how they can block a Samsung Pay - if you can still slide a card in the card reader that has a chip option, you should still be able to use the Samsung pay.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how they can block a Samsung Pay - if you can still slide a card in the card reader that has a chip option, you should still be able to use the Samsung pay.

Easy, they block card slide for credit (they're not blocking SPay, they're blocking the magnetic strip reader for credit cards and forcing Chip for credit. Only debit will be able to use swipe).

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was told once in Disneyland before they installed Apple Pay that I was skimming their credit card machine and the supervisor refused to allow me to use the phone to pay for the items.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I was told once in Disneyland before they installed Apple Pay that I was skimming their credit card machine and the supervisor refused to allow me to use the phone to pay for the items.
Yeah, MST is not common and it's pretty jarring for some to see a phone able to interface with an older terminal.

It really depends on whether staff know what Samsung Pay is and how it works. Some of my local stores still use older terminals but they kindily allowed people to test it out since they do have the "Samsung Pay Accepted" sticker pasted around, but others, like the Levi's store I went to, aren't.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Tap and Pay by phone will be soon outdated as folks get the newer credit cards with a built in T&P chip. My new cc can be used to swipe on old terminals and gas pumps, inserted for chip readers, and Tap and Pay for new terminals with the T&P symbol. Why drag out my phone and turn it on and get less than 100% reliability that it will work, when the new cc will definitely work on any terminal?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Tap and Pay by phone will be soon outdated as folks get the newer credit cards with a built in T&P chip. My new cc can be used to swipe on old terminals and gas pumps, inserted for chip readers, and Tap and Pay for new terminals with the T&P symbol. Why drag out my phone and turn it on and get less than 100% reliability that it will work, when the new cc will definitely work on any terminal?
Security

In some places, T&P cards don't require additional authentication so as long as the amount paid is below a specific value. Just tap and it processes.

Mobile payments require additional authentication and don't actually display much of or share your card info, using encryption and tokenization instead

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So in spite of zero liability in case of fraud, in the name of SECURITY, one should be willing to look like a fool when Samsung Pay doesn't work, hold up the checkout line (5 attempts?), expose one's cellphone to being snatched or dropped, right? I guess the T&P on an enabled cc is not secure, nor is the chip reader. And there's a troll under every terminal waiting to copy that account number...

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
The more I try and use Samsung Pay, the more I find that it works less and less. I am traveling for business for 2 weeks and went to a Kroger (local grocery chain) for some snacks and tried Samsung Pay at the cashier, it was processing for quite a while until it eventually declined. Tried it again at the same store (self-checkout) and the same thing.

I can get it to work at Walmart, but it requires me to keep the phone held up to the terminal as I enter my PIN, cash back, etc before the phone stops transmitting.

I've never gotten it to work at a CVS (debit, credit,)

Target is 50/50 sometimes taking 2-3 attempts.

Yet a local cheese shop I frequent gladly accepts it first time, every time.

It's embarrassing when it fails. It's great when it works.

That's strange. It works for me 100% of the time at CVS and Target. I don't get embarrassed at all if it won't go through the first time. I'll try it 10x if I have to which I have not needed to 😁 still faster than watching the peasants use the chip card readers lol

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Samsung Pay since I got the Galaxy S6 edge, so, since 2015 and it used to work most of the time.
With the GS7 edge worked in 95% of the places I used it.
With the Note 8 and Gear S3 Frontier works most of the time, but lately, it doesn't work in places it used to.
Not sure what it is, I'm going to call my bank and see if there's something on their end.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, it's funny when people tell you they don't accept apple pay or phone payment only to school them on Samsung Pay and show them how it's done.
And I had cashiers before that told me they don't take payments from a phone, I normally don't pay attention to them and use it, then people behind me just laugh when payment goes through.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work as often as it used to...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So in spite of zero liability in case of fraud, in the name of SECURITY, one should be willing to look like a fool when Samsung Pay doesn't work, hold up the checkout line (5 attempts?), expose one's cellphone to being snatched or dropped, right? I guess the T&P on an enabled cc is not secure, nor is the chip reader. And there's a troll under every terminal waiting to copy that account number...
It’s not that. It’s how you can pretty much make a payment with zero authentication as long as it’s within a certain value depending on country.

Having some form of authentication is better than no authentication, which is why I very seldom use contactless payments directly on the card.

Also, Samsung Pay works on NFC just like Android and Apple Pay, and in those cases, they work reliably.

I'm the type of guy who'd rather go through the process of entering a PIN than going the fast-way.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Was that a serious response?

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
My issue with Samsung Pay is that it doesn't truly work everywhere (despite what ads will tell you). However the times I used it on my Galaxy S7 it really works well. Loved that I could just swipe up on the screen have my credit card info on the ready and just tap. It's what made me change from "What's the point of using mobile payments when I have my credit card on hand?" to "Samsung Pay is actually awesome and I miss it sometimes!"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000