Galaxy S8 Oreo cancelled

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So it looks like the S8/S8+ Oreo build got pulled by Samsung. How long do we expect to wait for an Oreo update to come to Note 8 users?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. Samsung (or any other OEM) doesn't just arbitrarily pull updates without a reason. Whether or not Samsung says why is largely irrelevant.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I understand. Coming from Apple, I am more used to regular updates.

Actually, I'm on Verizon and we've been getting consistent monthly updates. When I had my iPhone, I didn't get consistent updates. Just an OS upgrade, then the subsequent bug fixes.

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, I upgrade my phone every year so I will not be able to enjoy Oreo on it for long, if at all. I hope the Note9, should there be one, has a faster upgrade to P.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Actually, I'm on Verizon and we've been getting consistent monthly updates. When I had my iPhone, I didn't get consistent updates. Just an OS upgrade, then the subsequent bug fixes.

Yes, but iPhones typically get supported with OS updates more than your average Samsung or Android phone. It's not a big deal for me, since I'm comfortable with either OS and I prefer the openness of Android. But I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to wait a little bit longer for 8.0 on my Note 8.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Samsung and Google seem to be trying as much as anyone to institute monthly "Patch Tuesday" esp once phones ship with Project Treble support

TennisGuy45

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I love the hardware and understand that if something is wrong its best to wait on updates.

With that said being so far behind on updates really sux.

I might consider a Pixel next gen if they fix some of the issues with its hardware.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I'd never get rid of my N8 based solely on a lack of updates. If I had a feature missing or a big glitch caused by a lack of software support it might be different. But as it's been said, the Note 8 as is works great so I'm not going to gripe too much.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung and Google seem to be trying as much as anyone to institute monthly "Patch Tuesday" esp once phones ship with Project Treble support

That could be the main issue Gayle - once the news was leaked that the Samsung S8/S8+ edition didn't have support for "Project Treble", they probably got so much push-back that they just decided they'd better just scrap the project until they got it right! After all, "Project Treble Support" was one of the key features of Oreo... what's the sense of sending it out without it???
Dunno.jpg

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-project-treble-support-oreo-836203/

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
That could be the main issue Gayle - once the news was leaked that the Samsung S8/S8+ edition didn't have support for "Project Treble", they probably got so much push-back that they just decided they'd better just scrap the project until they got it right! After all, "Project Treble Support" was one of the key features of Oreo... what's the sense of sending it out without it???
View attachment 279266

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-project-treble-support-oreo-836203/

It's confirmed that there was a reboot glitch, that's why they pulled it. Phones released after 8.0 are required to have Treble support. The S8 and N8 are not required.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's confirmed that there was a reboot glitch, that's why they pulled it. Phones released after 8.0 are required to have Treble support. The S8 and N8 are not required.
Yeah, I read the Random Reboot thing but wasn't aware of the other 8.0 thing... thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci