Best "swyping" keyboard now that Swype is dead.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone use a great keyboard? Been on Swype since 2013. Since they're no longer updating I'm gonna need a new one.

Thank you in advance

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Where did you see that Swype was no longer supported? The last update was only a month ago (though I have no problem with apps not being constantly updated if they work well and just don't need it), and they still have it linked on the developer's website. I checked some recent announcements on the developer site and nothing there either.

I have tried other keyboards, and I honestly haven't found anything with the functionality and accuracy of Swype. Others definitely look pretty, but I've always come back to Swype.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Where did you see that Swype was no longer supported? The last update was only a month ago (though I have no problem with apps not being constantly updated if they work well and just don't need it), and they still have it linked on the developer's website. I checked some recent announcements on the developer site and nothing there either.

I have tried other keyboards, and I honestly haven't found anything with the functionality and accuracy of Swype. Others definitely look pretty, but I've always come back to Swype.
Swype Keyboard is officially being discontinued https://www.androidcentral.com/swype-keyboard-officially-being-discontinued

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too loved Swype for a long time, switched to Swiftkey when they rolled out Swiftkey flow and it was absolutely horrible. Gave Gboard a try and have had it ever since. It's not quite as good at swiping as Swype, but it's good enough and looks a hell of a lot better

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, neither Swiftkey nor Gboard is as accurate as Swype. I wonder if one of them (Microsoft or Google) will buy the Swype team.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, neither Swiftkey nor Gboard is as accurate as Swype. I wonder if one of them (Microsoft or Google) will buy the Swype team.
If anyone would, I suspect it would be MS. But knowing how they operate, I expect that by now they would have done so. They wouldn't let them go completely out of business. Swype or more accurately swipe typing on Windows Phones at the things for me revolutionized the way I type. I haven't seen any keyboards as good as Swype for this functionality. Too bad they couldn't keep it profitable. Not easy when the two largest competitors are owned by Google and MA respectively.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If anyone would, I suspect it would be MS. But knowing how they operate, I expect that by now they would have done so. They wouldn't let them go completely out of business. Swype or more accurately swipe typing on Windows Phones at the things for me revolutionized the way I type. I haven't seen any keyboards as good as Swype for this functionality. Too bad they couldn't keep it profitable. Not easy when the two largest competitors are owned by Google and MA respectively.
MS already owns Swiftkey. So I wouldn't think they'd have bought them out immediately. But now is a good time too.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

The kicker was that Word Flow, which was what Microsoft used on its phones worked better than any of the others. The texting record was set by a person using Word Flow on a Windows Phone. I had used Swiftkey before Microsoft bought it and it worked really well. I don't know how Microsoft screwed it up. Honestly, Microsoft has done a lot of good things with its Android offerings. Swiftkey is one of those anomalies that makes me want to force choke them through the interwebs.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
honestly it was bound to happen because Gboard does the same thing and works great and has everything people liked about Swype, customization, swiping, predictive text, etc.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Swiftkey does all that too. It's the predictive text piece that sucks monkey farts. That's what would make me want to force choke the Swiftkey developers.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
honestly it was bound to happen because Gboard does the same thing and works great and has everything people liked about Swype, customization, swiping, predictive text, etc.
Actually none of the others I have tried has comparable swiping to actual Swype. Swiping from a letter to the area above the keyboard (going outside the keyboard area) capitalizes that letter, and waits long enough for you to swipe back into the keyboard to continue the word. Swiping from a letter to the space bar inputs the symbol on that letter. There's also a whole lot of other gestures that make swiping on Swype the best experience for that method of typing. However in my case, despite having used Swype since 2008-9-ish when it first released on Nokia touch screen phones, Swiftkey learned faster and predicted better for me. This became a deal breaker since at the time I got Swiftkey (around 2012ish), neither keyboard had my native language. I was able to teach Swiftkey an entire new language and it predicted better than Swype. Do I miss using Swype? Yes. But the 6 years of teaching Swiftkey to predict correctly for me trumps that. It's also a reason why I have difficulty whenever I try Gboard, apart from the layout for my needs which puts the Ñ key on just to have the / symbol easily accessible. Ruins the layout and makes me get too much mistakes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2