Here I go again. Back to the Note 8.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well after switching back and forth more times than I care to admit, I'm coming back to the Note 8 from the Pixel 2 XL.

There are many advantages to the Pixel, most importantly for me being the quick security updates. But with those, come bugs galore. Those folks on this forum who state that Samsung takes their time with the releases because they want to release more stable software may be onto something.

Ultimately I always preferred the Note. It's great to have better security, but not if the bugs make the phone a pain to use. Google needs to do a better job of regression testing their monthly patches. Not an easy thing to do I imagine.

Anyway, honestly for the most part I can't wait to get a Note again. I took advantage of Samsung's special of $250 off plus free Gear X earphones. Getting it tomorrow.

The only debate was whether to wait for the S9+, but at this price with zero interest payments, this deal was very good, and I still like the S-Pen a lot even though I don't use it that frequently.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
There are many advantages to the Pixel, most importantly for me being the quick security updates. But with those, come bugs galore. Those folks on this forum who state that Samsung takes their time with the releases because they want to release more stable software may be onto something.

That's what many people keep trying to say. I'm sure it just comes off as an excuse to a lot of people, but I guess there's some truth to it. I, personally, am not one to require the update the minute it becomes available on some device in some form. Some people feel they desperately need it ASAP, and at all costs.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the puzzle now where I'm thinking about that deal well getting the phone 400 is a steal . I have it now but I have it on the mobile with the jump on demand and I was going to do a jump and go back to the iPhone again ( all of my friends have one and I do miss playing iOS games with them ).... but like u said the s9 is around the corner and while yes I do enjoy the note for the most part . I have thought about getting something more of like the pixel mostly because of the form factor and not the finger print scanner place ment over the note . with Samsung putting it a better position now now idk what to do lol

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well after switching back and forth more times than I care to admit, I'm coming back to the Note 8 from the Pixel 2 XL.

Ultimately I always preferred the Note. It's great to have better security, but not if the bugs make the phone a pain to use. Google needs to do a better job of regression testing their monthly patches. Not an easy thing to do I imagine.

Anyway, honestly for the most part I can't wait to get a Note again. I took advantage of Samsung's special of $250 off plus free Gear X earphones. Getting it tomorrow.

The only debate was whether to wait for the S9+, but at this price with zero interest payments, this deal was very good, and I still like the S-Pen a lot even though I don't use it that frequently.
Welcome back. The Note 8 is a great device for sure. I was also contemplating the pixel but decided against it. The note is just a beast.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, software is hard. Issuing patches every month is ambitious but depending on the severity of the flaw, there may not be that much time for stability testing.

And remember, Samsung isn't faultless. They pulled Oreo temporarily because it was causing some S8 units to randomly reboot.

I'm still somewhat sour that Samsung has not released even a January patch for my Note8 while my dad's much older and cheaper Galaxy A5 is already on it. Like, come on. At least be consistent.

Last edited:

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, software is hard. Issuing patches every month is ambitious but depending on the severity of the flaw, there may not be that much time for stability testing.

And remember, Samsung isn't faultless. They pulled Oreo years temporarily because it was causing some S8 units to randomly reboot.

I'm still somewhat sour that Samsung has not released even a January patch for my Note8 while my dad's much older and cheaper Galaxy A5 is already on it. Like, come on. At least be consistent.
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying I'm happy with Samsung's patch release cycle. I guess I just have to pick my poison.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying I'm happy with Samsung's patch release cycle. I guess I just have to pick my poison.
Yeah, it's imperfect.

Picking a phone that's generally stable but receives updates more slowly or another phone that receives very timely updates but can be made a little unstable with said updates.

In a perfect world, we would not be talking about this, but we don't live in said world.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't have any bugs that I am aware of with my Pixel 2 XL running the Feb update.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any bugs that I am aware of with my Pixel 2 XL running the Feb update.
Seems to be sporadic. Some people are reporting their phones heating up a lot (check PocketNow's video from today). That's not the issue I'm having. I'm having Bluetooth and WiFi issues and random app crashes. No new apps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be sporadic. Some people are reporting their phones heating up a lot (check PocketNow's video from today). That's not the issue I'm having. I'm having Bluetooth and WiFi issues and random app crashes. No new apps.

No heat from mine. WiFi works at home when I use it (only place I really do use WiFi) and I use Bluetooth literally from the time I get in my truck in the morning / all day at work / drive home without issue.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
No heat from mine. WiFi works at home when I use it (only place I really do use WiFi) and I use Bluetooth literally from the time I get in my truck in the morning / all day at work / drive home without issue.
I hear you. I don't know why I'm having issues and you're not. But to be fair, the Pixel 2 XL has had a lot of that from the get go. I had to return my 1st 2 units because of screen issues, and the 3rd one was a charm. Watch the first 30 secs of this: https://youtu.be/X2ucXBKdNj0 I'm not alone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Go figure.

I only had issues with the Pixel 1 where mine died and had to be replaced. The Pixel 2 XL I got from Verizon on release is still running strong. I sideload the OTA each month and go.

Just like any phone -- some will have issues and some won't. I know some were plagued by BT issues but I literally have never run into one and I use it all day long at work.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I only had issues with the Pixel 1 where mine died and had to be replaced. The Pixel 2 XL I got from Verizon on release is still running strong. I sideload the OTA each month and go.

Just like any phone -- some will have issues and some won't. I know some were plagued by BT issues but I literally have never run into one and I use it all day long at work.
I think they have some quality control issues to sort out. Not saying Samsung doesn't mind you, but perhaps less so.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think they have some quality control issues to sort out. Not saying Samsung doesn't mind you, but perhaps less so.

It varies. My buddy at work got a Note 8 and within 5 days the wireless charger completely died. It refused to take a wireless charge from anything.

It happens.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
More likely whatever escapes quality control gets buried under all the Samsung features or never gets used. I picked up my brother's old S3 when my Note 2 died for my second sim, and noticed that the GPS doesn't work. It can't get any signal (tested using GPS apps). My tablet could detect 13 satellites but the S3 zero. I asked my brother and he said he never used Google Maps, Waze, or other location apps so he doesn't know. This could have been a factory defect that was never found out by the user.