Hello. Yesterday, I dropped my Note 8 and the glass on the edge waa a bit dented.

Ive attached a picture. Will this affect my phone's waterproofing?
    Attached Thumbnails Dropped my note 8 ans back glass has a minor dent. Would this affect my note 8's waterproofing-screenshot_2018-02-27-13-42-28.jpg  
    02-27-2018 11:35 AM
    If the dent isn't serious, then not really.

But if it causes the glass to lift or crack, then yes, it will be affected
    SPRINGHEEL and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-27-2018 11:54 AM
    If the dent isn't serious, then not really.

But if it causes the glass to lift or crack, then yes, it will be affected
    Looking at the dent, it's like less than a millimiter of chipped glass.
    02-27-2018 12:56 PM
    Looking at the dent, it's like less than a millimiter of chipped glass.
    Maybe it's insignificant but I have a feeling that any Note damage and the IP rating would be nullified
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2018 12:57 PM
    Maybe it's insignificant but I have a feeling that any Note damage and the IP rating would be nullified
    Tbh with you, my heart skipped when I dropped this thing.
    Thankfully that was the only casualty.
    02-27-2018 01:00 PM
    Tbh with you, my heart skipped when I dropped this thing.
    I would suggest getting a case with an impact absorbing TPU layer.

Doesn't have to be mega thick but thick enough so that the corners are adequately protected
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2018 01:02 PM
    , my heart skipped when I dropped this thing.

What does it mean for the IP ratinf to be nullified?
    02-27-2018 01:04 PM
    , my heart skipped when I dropped this thing.

What does it mean for the IP ratinf to be nullified?
    When an IP rating is nullified, that means it is no longer rated for ingress protection due to the compromise of whatever is being used to seal the device from the ingress of foreign material
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2018 01:07 PM
    When an IP rating is nullified, that means it is no longer rated for ingress protection due to the compromise of whatever is being used to seal the device from the ingress of foreign material
    In your opinion, as per the screenshot, the damage wouldn't be too concerning if it were in your case?
    02-27-2018 01:15 PM
    I'm having trouble with that photo. Doesnt look like a Note 8. where are all the curves?
    02-27-2018 01:26 PM
    In your opinion, as per the screenshot, the damage wouldn't be too concerning if it were in your case?
    Maybe not, but I wouldn't toss it in water even if it wasn't compromised at all
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2018 01:50 PM
    I'm having trouble with that photo. Doesnt look like a Note 8. where are all the curves?
    It is a note 8. I took the photo using an old Note 3, which I use for jogging. lol
    02-28-2018 12:08 AM
    Was a little difficult for me to see the detail of the damage, but in any case, with any damage on the Note 8 I'd have my concerns about the water IP68 rating being compromised, however slightly it may be.

Definitely suggest a decent case for it - do you have any or do you prefer to carry the phone case-less? It's your preference - just be weary of the chances of things like this happening. I'm really glad it wasn't more serious - cracks, etc. I have a few cases I love and that have proven great phone protection during some drops : Defender, UAG Monarch. Have several more but those two are ones that that been tested with the accidental drops. Yes - my heart skipped a beat as well when I dropped my phone the few times I have.

Also about bottomed out my blood pressure when I forgot I set it down at Target and couldn't find it for about 35 seconds. Lol.
    02-28-2018 05:46 AM
    if only a tiny crack could you not just put super glue on top of it, that should keep the water resistance
    02-28-2018 07:26 AM
    Was a little difficult for me to see the detail of the damage, but in any case, with any damage on the Note 8 I'd have my concerns about the water IP68 rating being compromised, however slightly it may be.

Definitely suggest a decent case for it - do you have any or do you prefer to carry the phone case-less? It's your preference - just be weary of the chances of things like this happening. I'm really glad it wasn't more serious - cracks, etc. I have a few cases I love and that have proven great phone protection during some drops : Defender, UAG Monarch. Have several more but those two are ones that that been tested with the accidental drops. Yes - my heart skipped a beat as well when I dropped my phone the few times I have.

Also about bottomed out my blood pressure when I forgot I set it down at Target and couldn't find it for about 35 seconds. Lol.
    Hello amy.

It did have a case when it fell. (the samsung flip case). Asked another forum about this and they said that isn't that much of a big deal when it comes to waterproofing as the tape is deeper.

Although seeing this blemish bothers me a bit, my buddies told me not to be too concerned, anyways I got myself a spigen this week and that whitestone protector.
    02-28-2018 08:52 AM
    Maybe not, but I wouldn't toss it in water even if it wasn't compromised at all
    Dunking in a container of water is one of the first things I do with any IP68-rated device. It's part of making sure all the advertised features work properly within a few days of purchase, so I can easily exchange the device for a new one if there's a problem. I'm careful to document the dunking on video to show that the phone is working properly when first submerged, and to show it stop working if that's what happens (never has so far).
    02-28-2018 05:23 PM
    Dunking in a container of water is one of the first things I do with any IP68-rated device. It's part of making sure all the advertised features work properly within a few days of purchase, so I can easily exchange the device for a new one if there's a problem. I'm careful to document the dunking on video to show that the phone is working properly when first submerged, and to show it stop working if that's what happens (never has so far).
    Just to update. I did dunk this in a cup of water yesterday. And the phone seemed fine. took a big gasp of relief
    03-01-2018 12:26 AM
    Just to update. I did dunk this in a cup of water yesterday. And the phone seemed fine. took a big gasp of relief
    Glad it worked out, though it's not a test that I'd have recommended in your situation. If the phone's damage had in fact compromised its water resistance, you could have made the phone unusable and the warranty would not have covered it.
    03-01-2018 10:56 AM