Got a Pixel 2 - And I'm considering setting my $1000 Note 8 aside! What is wrong with me?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
In a strange twist of events, another story, I ended up with a new Pixel 2 (not XL). I'm on Spring Break. I thought I'd give it a try.

The stock OS and the Pixel experience is excellent. My last stock experience was with a 6P. I jumped to a Mate 9... to an S8... and then to the Note 8. I kept my 6P so I would have access to Google's creations and a backup phone. The Note's pen is a killer feature for a teacher like me.

Now I am using this teeny tiny Pixel 2. Horribly huge bezels. So 2012. The little LED screen doesn't hold a candle to the Note's stunning, bezel-less, rounded AMOLED offering. But... the software. It is so smooth. So quick. So right. It all just works.

All the little nuances, down to the hyper-realistic voice of the assistant. The squeeze. The automatic restoration of (some) apps settings and logins. The little popup bubbles, the picture-in-picture. Yes, I know I can add all this to the Note but it will just weigh down the phone's operations - not to mention being imitations lacking the perfect integration.

Camera... well, yeah, we all know that's impressive... but the Note is excellent as well.

And... you know I was going to say it... the updates. I got the March security and bugfix update to Oreo 8.1.0 today. You not only get them right away but the actual update process is so fast and continues in the background. I know this is coming to all but I have it in my hands NOW. The Note is still on 7.

I now face this dilemma which is, in part, an irrational one. Do I keep using this little phone or do I go back to the Note? It's heavier, bigger (never stopped me before), but that screen!!! And the pen. And... W I R E L E S S C H A R G I N G! And being able to pay at any terminal. And... WIRELESS CHARGING! ... the screen!

The irrational side is that part of me wants to switch back just because I spent SO MUCH MONEY on the Note. I've only had it for 3 months! I'm a phone addict but I usually last longer than one quarter! I bought 4 wireless chargers and they are stationed all over my house and office.

I'll probably switch back to my Note... but... I had originally thought I would just tinker with the Pixel... that has turned into FULLY setting it up as my daily driver. I think when Spring Break is over, I'll miss having the pen.

Just had to share how powerful I found the pull of the Pixel 2.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Buy what you love.. love what you buy. Don't go on what others say. Just decide which is more worth to you and go with it. :).

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda in the same boat, I don't know if I want to sell my Note 8 and get a Pixel 2. I really like the Note, but I dislike how tall and heavy it is. I miss having a smaller phone, but I hate stock Android. First world problems.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Just honey moon phase with your Pixel. It'll pass and you will be looking for your Note before you know it.

What happens on spring breaks stay on spring breaks

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Awwwww man! It has aptX bluetooth audio. Just hooked up my headphones. Samsung!!!! <shaking fist in the air!>

Well.... I can use it as a music player.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
While I just ordered a Note 8 yesterday these posts made me thankful for my iPhone Xes. They may not be potentially as exciting but they're without effort and without issue.

Last edited:

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'll keep my Note 8 for the year after upgrading from S8+ but I want the form factor of the Note 5.

Time to come out with 2 sizes of the Note just like the S8 and S9.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Time to come out with 2 sizes of the Note just like the S8 and S9.
the note is not even close to their biggest seller, two sizes would be a completely separate factory, therefore more employees. It would also have a smaller battery and that would mean even worse battery life than what we get now. Are you willing to put up with 2 hours sot?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I switched back.

:p

What made you switch back? I'm curious because I've been looking at the note 8, now the S9 and I've been going back and forth on the Pixel 2 for months. Just when I think screw it I'm getting the Pixel 2 I look at those bezels and can't do it.

I'm on an LG G6 right now, I have the itch to upgrade. I had a Note 2, then a G3 and back to Samsung for an S7. I loved the size and feel of my S7, but the software always bugged me. Yet, back in the rooting and ROMing days of my Note 2 and others running AOSP I always felt stock was missing things. I had a Moto for awhile last year, and felt the same running their version of stock, I don't like the quick settings, I prefer Samsung's/LG's single bar at the top. I like to see my battery percentage, I like being able to hit a quick toggle to silence or go full vibrate. Yet, I remember how laggy my S7 could be at times, and how it would suck down the battery whether I was using it or not. I also like wireless charging, and a headphone jack while I don't use it a lot, I like having it there.

Curious to hear why you went back.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I kinda wish they'd ditch the curve screen nonsense but I guess some may like the novelty. I can live with it as long as I can get good screen protection, and I can.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What made you switch back? I'm curious because I've been looking at the note 8, now the S9 and I've been going back and forth on the Pixel 2 for months. Just when I think screw it I'm getting the Pixel 2 I look at those bezels and can't do it.

Curious to hear why you went back.

With regard to the Samsung phones, if you are considering the S9 Plus vs the Note 8, you only have one question to ask yourself: Do you want the pen?

YES - Get Note 8
NO - Get S9 Plus (or S9 if you want a smaller phone)

Unless you are a heavy camera user who needs the ultimate smarthphone camera, the upgraded camera on the S9 should not be a factor and that's pretty much the big difference between the S9 and Note 8. The Note 8 camera is excellent and dual lens. I actually went from an S8 Plus to the Note 8 primarily for the pen. You could even go for an S8 Plus at the great prices that are starting to pop up.

With regard to switching back from the Pixel 2 to the Note 8...

My main reason... Size and screen. The Note 8's screen is hands down better, brighter, and more beautiful than the Pixel 2, especially with the Pixel 2's old-school huge bezels. I have been a large phone user for years. The Pixel 2 XL would have eliminating my size issue but... Watching video, looking at photos - infinitely better on the Samsung (Note 8 or S8 Plus, and assume on S9 Plus).

Secondary reason... the pen. I do use it when I'm teaching. I wouldn't call myself a die hard pen addict. I could consider giving it up for the right phone. It just comes in handy in my field of work.

Little things that helped make the case for the Note as well.. Wireless charging. Lazy? Maybe. But it is SO easy to just drop the phone on a charging plate nearby (with one hand). Some of them double as phone stands. Samsung Pay... it works almost everywhere. For now, NFC terminals are not ubiquitous. Quick Charge compliant... I don't think the Pixel is? Maybe I'm wrong. I travel, have quick charge batteries, cables, and plugs - which are easy to find in many flavors.

The big pros for me on the Pixel were: Immediate updates, super smooth operation, the latest Google goodies (this was probably the big draw for me). I admit, having a smaller phone was kind of nice in terms of handling and portability alone.

Of course, above and beyond all of that is price. You have to be able afford the choices on the table before you can compare them. I am fortunate enough that I could afford the Note 8.

In the end... it's a personal decision. After money, think size. From there... you can research but you'll have to make the call.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I kinda wish they'd ditch the curve screen nonsense but I guess some may like the novelty. I can live with it as long as I can get good screen protection, and I can.

I'm kinda starting to agree with you. A few times, I am starting to notice some text (mostly larger text like some headlines) rolling off the edge. I'm not sure I noticed that before. Minor but annoying.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I LOVED my original Pixel XL. I had the Pixel 2 XL and couldn't stand the blue shift. I will definitely be getting the Pixel 3 XL on launch day. Nothing like pure Android, timely updates, and 0 lag!