What is this Note lag they talk about?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
I keep hearing in reviews the note begins to stutter and lag. Given its still running a high end SOC, whats going on there?

I was going to buy a Note 5 used (refurb) just to get me through until Sirocco. But Im really starting to like the look of the note long term. But its $400 for the 5 and $1200 for the 8.

I cant really afford to shell out $1200 cash, especially hearing it stutters......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OActJknve6Y

Should I get the Note 5 now and wait for the upcoming note 9 release?

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I keep hearing in reviews the note begins to stutter and lag. Given its still running a high end SOC, whats going on there?

I was going to buy a Note 5 used (refurb) just to get me through until Sirocco. But Im really starting to like the look of the note long term. But its $400 for the 5 and $1200 for the 8.

I cant really afford to shell out $1200 cash, especially hearing it stutters......

ALL phones stutter and lag from time to time. Don't believe when people say their note 8 doesn't stutter or lag, they're more than likely lying. My note 8 stuttered, my 2 xl stutters , my iPhone X stuttered from time to time, same with my 7+ and 8. If you can grab a used one even better.

Have you tried swappa to find a used note 8? Or maybe you can grab a s9+ since it's basically a note 8 without the spen and cheaper.

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
No we dont have swappa down under. Very limited. The s9+ hasnt launched here yet. But its actually the pen im after. I wouldnt buy a samsung as just a phone. I want it as an IT design professional.

The Note 5 is getting Oreo, woot. But a used phone I will likely have to replace the battery, which is no big deal, Ive worked on many phones/notebooks. Also there is a Note 8 launcher for the Note 5 now, so you really dont miss out on much. Ok its a bit slower, but not that much. I also prefer the 16:9 and HATE the samsung edge and glass on glass, really bad industrial design. But its the productivity software I like.

So spend $400 or $1200 for similar performance and not a lot in benefits to me for the $800. but no warranty. but its like buying anything used I guess. I know the battery wont be optimal, thats ok, and the rest is a risk like anything used?

I hope they go back to the note being more of a NOTE than a Galaxy phone with a pen. Thats how it feels its going.

GTZR

Mar 9, 2018
Visit site
ALL phones stutter and lag from time to time. Don't believe when people say their note 8 doesn't stutter or lag, they're more than likely lying. My note 8 stuttered, my 2 xl stutters , my iPhone X stuttered from time to time, same with my 7+ and 8. If you can grab a used one even better.

Have you tried swappa to find a used note 8? Or maybe you can grab a s9+ since it's basically a note 8 without the spen and cheaper.
S9+ is in another league and not comparable to the Note 8.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Lol no lag on your phone now days means you a liar. Guess ones that have lag would assume that. But in other words. Call me a liar I don't care. I ain't got nothing to prove to you but only time my note8 has ever lagged is Facebook and Twitter. Oh and this site. I've had note8 since launch. And no I'm not trying to start an argument. Just stating my opinion like you did yours:)

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

If you worried just wait for note9 or go to note 5. Especially if that is what you can afford. Note 5 was a good phone. But my note8 blows the note 5 I had out of the water. Just follow your gut cause in the end you are the only that can decide what is right for you. Good luck.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

Buy a lightly used one for around $600 on swappa.com. That's what I did. Been great!
No lag either.

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Can't say lag is an urban legend but I've owned probably 10 Samsung phones (almost all the Notes) and this hasn't been a problem for years. Maybe the Pixel or IPhone might be a nano second faster but not in a way that I detect.

Still use my Note 5 to read and browse at night without any problem. I think it has the best form factor but I believe it was the start of Samsung deprecating the Note line given the closed batter and lack of IR blaster and MHL. On the otherhand, the Note 5 has better S Pen software than the 8. I see nothing untoward in buying the Note 5 given the price differential. And I personally have never experienced the legendary Samsung lag on this device.

I personally favor a Note along the size of the S8 but that doesn't appear to be a terribly popular idea around hear.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
We have a Note8 and a Pixel 2 XL. Had the Note8 since launch, Pixel is much more recent. We don't notice any difference in day to day use for lag, stutter, whatever. They are both very fast. If we're suffering from lag or stutter, which we could very well be, I suppose, it's not something we are apparently sensitive to or that negatively impacts our experience.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
no lag then again I have mine on maximum performance since out of box cause the guy told me he found his ran better (better battery as well) manage to squeek n extra hour out of it

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
vast majority of the people moaning about lag don't actually know what it is, they just think that the phone lags because the website they are trying to acess is slow to load, mostly because of their own crappy connection.
between note 2/3/4 and now two note 8, I have never had problems with actual genuine lag, especially not the note 8, older ones would immediately refresh by deleting cache and restarting if I suspected a minor slowdown

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
no lag then again I have mine on maximum performance since out of box cause the guy told me he found his ran better (better battery as well) manage to squeek n extra hour out of it

Mine has always been on High Performance also. I paid for the best performance, so why would I turn down the resolution? Beats me.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I read that somewhere and had been running "Optimized" mode so I tried "High Performance" and like you, gained battery life - could not believe it as well!

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

Yes if you don't restrart the device periodically, I restart every morning, it could begin to stutter and/or lag but this is not specific to just the N8. Your home PC or Mac if left running for a long period of time between restarts will exhibit the same symptoms. So no, my N8 does not lag or stutter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton