Are you prevented from taking screenshot of bank app?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This may sound like an idiotic question. Why would you need to take a screen shot of your bank app?
I recently needed to so I could verify direct deposit info at the new company I just started working for. I don't have checks to do it the old fashion way of voiding one for them, but they still needed the account and routing numbers.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the "screen write" S-Pen feature? That takes a screenshot and then lets you edit it.
No go. Aside from Bank apps, my Auto insurance app won't allow screenshots either. I think its a good thing. Wouldn't want a screenshot of that floating around my many "CLOUD" storage spaces.

chocokat

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This may sound like an idiotic question. Why would you need to take a screen shot of your bank app?
It's okay. I was going to show my dad that I did not spend that much this month. Yes I love shopping a lot and I'm trying to invest and save more. I always able to take a screen shot for when I'm trying to show someone I quick paid them using the Chase app on iOS too.

Now I think about it, it's not a big deal as I made it to be. It's just you get used to one OS and when in another OS does not have this function, it makes you feel a little frustrated at the time.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
TD bank won’t allow a screen shot they just added several layers of security which is a total pain in the a** to log on anymore.

chocokat

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Looking at it from another angle, you can look at it as a glaring security hole in iOS and others compared to Android. Especially considering these days iOS is like swiss cheese.
I am always told that iOS is more secure. maybe because it is more locked down? Like android with out root gives the user more control out of the box unlike the locked down iOS.
The iOS user can jail break the phone and get super user and iOS would be just as vulnerable too maybe.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You can always photograph your phone's screen from another device, though that's not nearly as convenient. Another option might be to run a remote-control host app (such as TeamViewer) on your phone, and then take a screen capture of the remote client (although I don't know if your banking app would balk at running while a remote-control host is running).

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
It's okay. I was going to show my dad that I did not spend that much this month. Yes I love shopping a lot and I'm trying to invest and save more. I always able to take a screen shot for when I'm trying to show someone I quick paid them using the Chase app on iOS too.

Now I think about it, it's not a big deal as I made it to be. It's just you get used to one OS and when in another OS does not have this function, it makes you feel a little frustrated at the time.
Yeah... Your dad can just take your word, and the people you quick pay can just be patient. If none of them like that, then that's their problem.

None of what you said is worth the headache of your accounts being compromised.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I recently needed to so I could verify direct deposit info at the new company I just started working for. I don't have checks to do it the old fashion way of voiding one for them, but they still needed the account and routing numbers.
You could also just write it down and give it to your company. The voided check is only to make it harder to screw up your pay.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You could also just write it down and give it to your company. The voided check is only to make it harder to screw up your pay.
No, they required verification and simply writing it down wouldn't be allowed. Technically yes, I could write it down, but what if I made a mistake? That would make heck for them if my money ends up going to someone else. That's why they, and any company I've ever heard of that does direct deposit, need a voided check, screenshots, printouts, etc. It's one less chance of errors.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No, they required verification and simply writing it down wouldn't be allowed. Technically yes, I could write it down, but what if I made a mistake? That would make heck for them if my money ends up going to someone else. That's why they, and any company I've ever heard of that does direct deposit, need a voided check, screenshots, printouts, etc. It's one less chance of errors.
The problem though is if the bank's app disabled screenshots. My bank's app allows it, but I understand if others don't. As mentioned you can always take a picture using another app.

A work around you can possibly try is using Sidesync. Since that projects the phone screen to a PC monitor, you can try if the Windows screenshot would work.

Daniel Ecker

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's any way around this?

This is another one of those stupid "features" in the name of security that makes no sense. Android is supposed to be the OS that affords more freedom to the user to control how they want their data secured and how they want their phone to operate. I hate crap like this that doesn't give the user a choice.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

This is another one of those stupid "features" in the name of security that makes no sense. Android is supposed to be the OS that affords more freedom to the user to control how they want their data secured and how they want their phone to operate. I hate crap like this that doesn't give the user a choice.
Welcome to the forums. Please read the previous posts. It's not a "feature" and it's more related to specific banks/apps than to Android itself. Some banks let you take a screenshot in their app (like mine) and others don't (like yours). And you can always take a photo with a different device.

Daniel Ecker

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Please read the previous posts. It's not a "feature" and it's more related to specific banks/apps than to Android itself. Some banks let you take a screenshot in their app (like mine) and others don't (like yours). And you can always take a photo with a different device.

Hi Javier,

Thanks for replying so quickly, but I did read the previous posts. Lol. But it is definitely a feature of Android. It's just a feature for the developers and not for the users. Android allows devs to disable screenshots. And I don't believe they should, it goes against what Android stands for in my opinion.

And I realize I can take a picture from another device, but that's not really an option for me at this moment in time. I don't carry around multiple devices. So if you or anyone else knows of a way around this within Android, that's all I'm looking for. Or if someone knows for certain that there is no such workaround.

Thanks!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Javier,

Thanks for replying so quickly, but I did read the previous posts. Lol. But it is definitely a feature of Android. It's just a feature for the developers and not for the users. Android allows devs to disable screenshots. And I don't believe they should, it goes against what Android stands for in my opinion.

And I realize I can take a picture from another device, but that's not really an option for me at this moment in time. I don't carry around multiple devices. So if you or anyone else knows of a way around this within Android, that's all I'm looking for. Or if someone knows for certain that there is no such workaround.

Thanks!
Well, I think we have to agree to disagree on that one then.

The only thing I could recommend you is to get in touch with your bank and the app devs and explain your situation. Maybe there's a simple setting in the app to enable the screenshots or an option to save the screen from inside the app. If not it's up to them to decide how their app works. Sorry.

Daniel Ecker

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Well, I think we have to agree to disagree on that one then.

The only thing I could recommend you is to get in touch with your bank and the app devs and explain your situation. Maybe there's a simple setting in the app to enable the screenshots or an option to save the screen from inside the app. If not it's up to them to decide how their app works. Sorry.

Fair enough. XD

And the app I was using is Mint. Already checked and they have no options to affect it. And they have such a large user base...I am pretty sure they won't change it. But you never know I guess. Could suggest adding the option to allow screen shots at least.

Thanks again for the quick replies!

peterjp80

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
I find it very annoying and useless that Android allows developers to block the screenshot feature. I just had my gf take a photo of my screen and text it to me...I shouldn't have to do that. This idea of blocking users from doing **** for their own safety has become a trend with Android, and I'm definitely not a fan. I switched from Apple to Android about a year ago and have been regretting it ever sense. [Deleted content relating to security measures].

Last edited by a moderator:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I know it's been a while but I just saw this... How about smart select using your sPen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995