Upgrade from the Note 4 to NOTE 8? Or wat until Note 9?

Kyle Greig

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Note 4 since it first released back in late 2014, I love this phone to death, but the Note 8 looks awesome... and I was wondering if I should make the switch to the new generation of Samsungs. I haven't really liked any other android phone besides samsung. I also didn't like their new design language starting with the S6 and Note 5. I am a heavy power user who can't have their phone plugged into a wall during the day, nor die on him. I actually carry 2 batteries and a rechargeable battery cradle with me, and I use a micro-SD card for my storage. The Note 8 looks awesome, but it doesn't have a home button or removable battery! I'm also not a huge fan of the curved screens.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Note 4 since it first released back in late 2014, I love this phone to death, but the Note 8 looks awesome... and I was wondering if I should make the switch to the new generation of Samsungs. I haven't really liked any other android phone besides samsung. I also didn't like their new design language starting with the S6 and Note 5. I am a heavy power user who can't have their phone plugged into a wall during the day, nor die on him. I actually carry 2 batteries and a rechargeable battery cradle with me, and I use a micro-SD card for my storage. The Note 8 looks awesome, but it doesn't have a home button or removable battery! I'm also not a huge fan of the curved screens.
I wasn't crazy about the curved screens either, but compared to the earlier curved designs, the Note 8 is actually pretty decent -not nearly as "extreme"in regards to the curvature.

You would do well with a portable charger / power pack and or a rechareable battery case on the note 8. It was great having the extra batteries though :) I'm a Note nut and have had the 3, 4, 5, 7 (twice-recalled)and now 8.

You will be very satisified with the performance of the Note 8. I would suggest spending some time with one in a local Best Buy or carrier store, preferably with a unit that's not tethered down. Best Buys (here at least) often have a Samsung Rep in store with full featured units to check out.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8 is, yes IMO, still the most complete Android device out there.

It's always objective. But if that's not for you then move along. Plenty devices out there with various other more singular strong points.

The screen curve is not as extreme as even the S8 or 9 in the hand. Yes, it's a bit of a pain. But the screen is pretty.
The battery lasts as long as it lasts. Removable is pretty much dead so get used to it. ( I'm a heavy user and get a working day off charge without worrying about it). That said I have a spare phone and power bank in the car as being connected is pretty important to me and my work.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I too went from the Note 4 to Note 8 after having the Note 4 over 30 months or so. I also had 2 batteries with charger so never short of power.
I debated which phone to go for, Note 5 not released in UK, Note 7 issues we all know about, so I pinned my hopes on the Note 8, kept up with all news before launch and then after watching the launch I knew it was for me.

Note 8 for me has been a great device, very impressed with it and it definitely feels better after a few generations since the Note 4. I'm not a power user so I can't really advise in that department but as said above, there are power packs for the power hungry users.

The phone itself continues to impress and the camera turns out some brilliant pics, no lag for me unless I ask it to do stupid things like playing PUBG in powersaver mode lol.(apart from some slight stutters it played fine until I realized it was in powersaver lol)
Yes I'm sure the Note 9 will improve on some things as new models usually do, but not sure it will be enough to prise this phone away from me.
Only thing for you to decide is is it worth the wait for Note 9 or if you can get a good price if buying the Note 8, which hasn't budged much in price since launch, the phone is awesome though!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll make this easy for you.... YES YOU SHOULD
I came from Note 4 and loved it and planned to keep it as a back up... after getting the Note 8 the Note 4 went up for sale in less than a week.... in comparison the Note 4 is as old as the pyramids

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Get the Note8, 256GB MicroSD and a 10,000mAh Power Bank with Fast Charging, it will be like having a 2nd Battery.

I have a Power Bank that stays in my car for whenever I need a quick top up, it has a Fast Charging port, so it quickly tops my Note8 up when needed.

I also had a Note 4 and thoroughly enjoyed that beast, I then got a S7 Edge ( due to Note7 debacle) and liked it but missed the SPen. Came back to Note with the Note8 at launch, and glad to be back, the Note8 is a huge jump from the Note 4, far more refined and cleaned up.

If you want the S9+'s Stereo Speakers and Mechanical Variable Aperture, maybe wait a little longer for the Note9.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I too had Note 4....but both are worlds apart in quality and speed...Note 8 just flies....u will be very happy with Note 8...

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I would say try and hold off for the Note 9. It might be out in mid august instead of early sept.

If you want the newest phone then s9 plus. Using the spen all these years I would go with a Note over the s9.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Blues better start winning....

They just won again tonight! Ducks lost in OT and stars lost with 11 seconds left to Boston. You better hope the Blues start losing because they got a game in hand on the Kings. The Blues have a bit of an easier schedule as well. Two games back to back against the Hawks. They could have an outside chance of catching the Wild and getting 3rd and not even need the wild card.

The blues if they go 5-3 the last 8 games will make the playoffs IMO. I will be thrilled if they can just get a point tomorrow night against the hot Blue Jackets and being a back to back game. IMO 96 points gets a wild card spot in the west. Blues also have more ROW than the Ducks as well if it comes down to tie breakers.

The Wild have a horrible schedule the rest of the season. Blues shoudl still shoot for 3rd.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
the only real problem I have had with my 8 is battery life. the note is supposed to be the workhorse of the phone world but it falls short. it really should have double the battery size. nearly every reviewer has said the same, they end up using the pixel because they don't have to charge it halfway through the day.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If the OP's Note 4 is still running ok, he should wait for the Note 9. Milk the 4 for what he can as long as he can. Btw... my Note 8 is easily averaging 6 hours SOT. Best phone ever to date.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Despite Samsung's bad decision to abandon the removable battery, capacitive buttons and 16:9 ratio, at least they do have headphone jacks, no notches and microSD card slots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888