Use code Android10 andsave 10% on your first Upsie warranty

View Poll Results: How is your battery life on Note 8?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent (Over a day)

11 31.43%
  • Great (A full day)

11 31.43%
  • Moderate (About 18-20 hrs)

6 17.14%
  • Bad (About 16hrs)

1 2.86%
  • Poor (About 12-14 hrs)

4 11.43%
  • Almost no battery (Less than 10 hrs)

2 5.71%
07-18-2018 04:31 PM
49 12
tools
    Hi,
    I'm using a Note 8 which runs Exynos 8895 . I have moderate use and about 100 apps installed. I'm really hesitant about a factory reset. After full charge, I barely get 12 - 14 hrs even after charging the device 2 times. Check out the log below. The 'P' indicates medium power saving mode.
    I run at 1080P most of the time. Always on Display is on but due to the LED cover, the AOD remains off.
    Is there a battery issue or is this poor battery performance normal?
    I was using a Note 5 previously and it's battery life was excellent. It would easily last me a day.
    It loses about 4-8% every 45 minutes with mobile data on!
    I even turned off background data usage but about the same SOD...

Please suggest.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 8 Ultra poor battery life-8913.jpg  
    04-01-2018 02:47 PM
    Hi,
    I'm using a Note 8 which runs Exynos 8895 . I have moderate use and about 100 apps installed. I'm really hesitant about a factory reset. After full charge, I barely get 12 - 14 hrs even after charging the device 2 times. Check out the log below. The 'P' indicates medium power saving mode.
    I run at 1080P most of the time. Always on Display is on but due to the LED cover, the AOD remains off.
    Is there a battery issue or is this poor battery performance normal?
    I was using a Note 5 previously and it's battery life was excellent. It would easily last me a day.
    It loses about 4-8% every 45 minutes with mobile data on!
    I even turned off background data usage but about the same SOD...

Please suggest.
    With medium power saving mode, already lost 4% in only 20 minutes. Is this normal?
    Here are the settings for Medium power saving mode :
    Screen : HD+ 720P
    Background data usage restricted
    Always on display turned off
    CPU Speed limited
    Brightness 10%

Is it normal to lose 4% in 20 minutes with this config or no?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 8 Ultra poor battery life-screenshot_20180402-011841_settings.jpg  
    04-01-2018 02:54 PM
    Your Android System seems to be sucking a lot of power for some reason. Might want to try and clear your system cache as well as the cache of internal storage. Instructions to do both below:

Note 8 storage cache clear: settings- storage- internal storage- cached data- tap on it to clear

How to wipe the cache partition on the Note 8:

Back up data on the internal memory. I've never lost any data from this process, but just in case, back up important stuff.

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.

When the Android logo on a blue background displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing no command for a few seconds followed by the Android system recovery menu options).

Press the Volume down key several times to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.

Press Power button to select.

Press the Volume down key until 'yes' is highlighted and press the Power button.

When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” will be highlighted.

Press the Power key to restart the device.

Attached is my battery life yesterday or the day before, can't remember.
    Dankees and PapaT_RRS like this.
    04-01-2018 04:14 PM
    I'm getting through the day easily and sometimes even 2 days, although I'm not a heavy user......
    Note 8 Ultra poor battery life-screenshot_20171015-222505.jpg
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-02-2018 05:13 AM
    Do a factory reset!!
    04-02-2018 05:55 AM
    Do a factory reset!!
    thank you. realizing, of course, everyone would prefer to exhaust all possibilities before doing that. clearing the caches is an important troubleshooting step.
    srvctec, jimd1050 and EwanJP like this.
    04-02-2018 06:57 AM
    same problem here with Note 8...Indian version...barely last a day...I charger it twice daily ....that's y jumped to S9+ 128gb blue color....Thou still have Note 8 and using it till today will start to use s9+ soon...will be doing unboxing video for s9+
    04-02-2018 07:07 AM
    Here is a screen shot
    Attached Thumbnails Note 8 Ultra poor battery life-screenshot_20180328-232602_settings.jpg  
    04-02-2018 07:15 AM
    battery life has really become worse after Oreo....I thought it would improve....I think most people will have to do a hard reset....
    Thou I have shifted to S9+ but has started using the phone yet...still setting up the new phone....
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    04-03-2018 07:55 AM
    Had the same issue, disabling background use for Android System resolved the issue sir me.

In the battery usage tab on Android System and disable background usage. Battery life improved a lot.
    04-03-2018 10:16 AM
    Putting a small 3500 mAh battery in such a high-resolution high performance phone is abysmally stupid, it needs to be twice as large at the very least, maybe 2.5 times. The more pixels you have, the higher the drain.

ZeroLemon makes an external extended battery that's 10,000 mAh so in conjunction with the stock battery, you have about 13500 mAh. You still to recharge it anyway.
    04-03-2018 03:53 PM
    Putting a small 3500 mAh battery in such a high-resolution high performance phone is abysmally stupid, it needs to be twice as large at the very least, maybe 2.5 times. The more pixels you have, the higher the drain.

ZeroLemon makes an external extended battery that's 10,000 mAh so in conjunction with the stock battery, you have about 13500 mAh. You still to recharge it anyway.
    That's not the answer - I am getting two days out of my battery on my Note 8. Also, someone told me to try High Performance Mode and I ended up getting BETTER Battery Performance than I was getting with "Mid" Level set. If the "Wipe System Cache" doesn't work, then the Factory Reset will need to be done... something is causing that Android System % to be far too high - mine is usually around 2% or 3% in a 12 hour period!
    jejb and SpaceyO like this.
    04-03-2018 04:01 PM
    My Note 8 has been using more battery power since the Oreo update. But I blame it on me using the phone a lot more the last few days as I play with it more than usual. It is hard for me to judge the battery life because my usage patterns are not typical since the update. I wonder if this might also be true for other folks as well.

Time will tell for me, at least.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-03-2018 05:19 PM
    Go to Device maintenance - Battery and check power used by unmonitored apps. If any of them consuming more juice delete them from unmonitored list.
    04-03-2018 08:12 PM
    My Oreo download seemed to cause increase battery usage in the first 12 hours or so, but it is settled down nicely now and seems totally fine now. So maybe stop fiddling around and let things settle on their own imo.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-03-2018 08:21 PM
    That's not the answer - I am getting two days out of my battery on my Note 8. Also, someone told me to try High Performance Mode and I ended up getting BETTER Battery Performance than I was getting with "Mid" Level set. If the "Wipe System Cache" doesn't work, then the Factory Reset will need to be done... something is causing that Android System % to be far too high - mine is usually around 2% or 3% in a 12 hour period!
    Agreed. A good test is to charge the phone up completely before you go to bed and leave it unplugged while you sleep. It should only use 2-4% of the battery over night. I had to do a factory reset on mine a couple of months ago to fix a different issue, so I feel your pain. But it fixed the issue, so was worth the trouble in the end.
    04-04-2018 04:38 AM
    Plainly put, I don't believe the bit about the two days out of Note 8 stock battery. No way.

2 days maybe if you have zero runtime (screen) on it and leave it idling. Then maybe. Or check email twice a day.

But even with moderate screen time - no way.

And if the device is not being used, then what is the point of 2 day runtime?
    04-04-2018 10:23 AM
    I had Android System use like that on my S7 for a while...if I remember correctly it was related to Bluetooth. I eventually needed to factory reset which cleared it right up.

I'm getting projected 25-35 hours of fairly light use on my Note 8....hope you get it solved!

Note 8 Ultra poor battery life-screenshot_20180404-113720_settings.jpg
    04-04-2018 10:40 AM
    Agreed. A good test is to charge the phone up completely before you go to bed and leave it unplugged while you sleep. It should only use 2-4% of the battery over night. I had to do a factory reset on mine a couple of months ago to fix a different issue, so I feel your pain. But it fixed the issue, so was worth the trouble in the end.
    Exactly - that's what I do every night. I charge it fully before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning, I usually have about 95-96% running in High Performance Mode. It's been that way since I bought the Note 8 last September? The first few days with Oreo, it was dropping to 93-94% but now it's back to 95-96% like it used to be and I never did a Factory Reset after Oreo either! (knock on wood)
    04-04-2018 01:01 PM
    Plainly put, I don't believe the bit about the two days out of Note 8 stock battery. No way.

2 days maybe if you have zero runtime (screen) on it and leave it idling. Then maybe. Or check email twice a day.

But even with moderate screen time - no way.

And if the device is not being used, then what is the point of 2 day runtime?
    I took my phone off the charger at midnight last night and went to bed, I've checked email about five times today, talked to my Brother-in-Law on the phone, checked FB twice (by browser), sent three text messages and it's now 2:10 PM. My battery is at 86% in 14 hours... ? So obviously, I'm not one of those people that walks into sign posts because I'm looking down at my cell phone, but I said 2 days!
    04-04-2018 01:14 PM
    Two things I've noticed since Oreo:

The auto screen brightness is higher than what I had it trained to produce prior to the update. I will need to adjust it down a few times to get it retrained for a lower level.

The Always On Display sucks down a lot more power than it used to. I set the phone face down last night, and since that shuts down the AOD, it had used no power overnight, and that helped a lot. It seems like the AOD is a lot brighter now. Maybe there's a way to dim it more.
    04-04-2018 05:28 PM
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. Clearing cache didn't help atall. Also, some other thread suggested uninstalling Facebook and all it's services. As I don't use Facebook very much, I disabled all of it's services. Still nothing.
    Anyways, I charged my device to 100% before sleeping at 11:00PM and woke up at 9:00AM to see 89%.
    Mobile data was off. Screen was in 1440p. All recent apps shut off. No power saving mode.
    Is this normal?
    04-07-2018 05:51 AM
    I used to lose around 5% over night but after Oreo update losing around 10%. I hope it will settle in a week.
    04-07-2018 10:24 AM
    Your Android System seems to be sucking a lot of power for some reason. Might want to try and clear your system cache as well as the cache of internal storage. Instructions to do both below:

Note 8 storage cache clear: settings- storage- internal storage- cached data- tap on it to clear

How to wipe the cache partition on the Note 8:

Back up data on the internal memory. I've never lost any data from this process, but just in case, back up important stuff.

Turn off the device.

Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.

When the Android logo on a blue background displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing no command for a few seconds followed by the Android system recovery menu options).

Press the Volume down key several times to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.

Press Power button to select.

Press the Volume down key until 'yes' is highlighted and press the Power button.

When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” will be highlighted.

Press the Power key to restart the device.

Attached is my battery life yesterday or the day before, can't remember.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3af8eb5aef.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...443bb764a9.jpg
    How else are you getting so much screen time?

Do you have any auto cache cleaners running?
    04-07-2018 11:40 AM
    I'm getting through the day easily and sometimes even 2 days, although I'm not a heavy user......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171015-222505.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	282039
    Do you have any auto cache cleaners running?
    04-07-2018 11:41 AM
49 12