Oreo first impressions

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, my unlocked unbranded Note8 has finally received the Oreo update, being the second device in the house to receive the upgrade after the Honor 8 Pro.

As is the case, I have installed the update, performed a factory data reset and set up the device as if it was brand-new and not restore any backups, basically starting fresh.

So far, here are some of my impressions.

• Less bloat. There isn't as much bloat as there used to be. In the initial setup screen, you can specify which of the Samsung stuff you want installed. I just installed Members, SPay and SHealth. Some pre-installed apps still exist but again, doesn't seem to be as many as before.
  • Performance is a tad smoother. This could very well be a placebo, but it does feel a tad smoother than Nougat. Of course, it was after an FDR so we will see how it holds up.
  • LDAC support is finally here. Since I own WH-1000XM2s, this is extremely nice.
  • Not really a fan of the Adaptive Icons, tbh. Seeing squircles everywhere just doesn't tickle my fancy
  • Too early to do any battery life analysis, but overall management seems to have improved quite a bit.

Overall, solid update so far, but I have to play around with the notifications and other stuff like Autofill for a bit.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So far I love the lack of wow. I mean seriously is there anything in this update we really cared about? All I'm hoping for is a bit more battery life. Yes it's quicker, but it wasn't slow to begin with. Oh and they moved a lot of things we use to a new location just to make it feel new again. No that just annoys me. Half these features no one uses or cares about. Yes the ldac is good. Where is our stupid emoji? The N8 is capable of this and we know it. As of now my battery is draining like wildfires spread!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So far I love the lack of wow. I mean seriously is there anything in this update we really cared about? All I'm hoping for is a bit more battery life. Yes it's quicker, but it wasn't slow to begin with. Oh and they moved a lot of things we use to a new location just to make it feel new again. No that just annoys me. Half these features no one uses or cares about. Yes the ldac is good. Where is our stupid emoji? The N8 is capable of this and we know it. As of now my battery is draining like wildfires spread!
I was never expecting big things from this update.

It's a framework update alongside a pretty small update for the UX layer on top of the Android framework.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I like the Oreo update. Things are more organized and there are lots of pluses like the volume is louder, and the screen is more colourful with truer colours. Faster and more organized is my impression. I haven't noticed things being moved. I'm not sure what you mean "where is our stupid emojii?"

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I am liking how responsive overall. Samsung keyboard improved a lot. I hope battery drain when using Google maps is fixed. Need to test that yet.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I like the Oreo update. Things are more organized and there are lots of pluses like the volume is louder, and the screen is more colourful with truer colours. Faster and more organized is my impression. I haven't noticed things being moved. I'm not sure what you mean "where is our stupid emojii?"
You know the emoji that the S9 can make of yourself.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked, Exynos chip

Good experience over all. Marginally BETTER battery life, nice to have a few more colors in the high contrast keyboard, and a few other subtle improvements. The best Samsung device just got a little better. Sorry S9 /+....
Total update took about 10 minutes.

all4dom

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Note 8-verizon,

I have not noticed to much of a difference but I can say after updating & doing a reset I can't enable the iris scan with samsung pay. Also I could not sync samsung health with my old.data after the reset. Is anyone else having thisnproblem?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Finished the entire day.

Can’t give extremely detailed stats but battery life has improved by a little. Screen-on time is still similar to Nougat based on similar use cases but standby time has improved, especially when limiting the amount of times Google Play Services wakes the device up.

Frame drops are less common now. Where the notification quick settings would hitch every now and then on Nougat, on Oreo, it’s pretty smooth but then again, this is after an FDR.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I am liking how responsive overall. Samsung keyboard improved a lot. I hope battery drain when using Google maps is fixed. Need to test that yet.

I've never had a problem with Google maps causing a big battery drain.

Having the screen on constantly uses battery regardless of which app is running.

Kakunara

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
for me i have an unlocked Note8 SM-N950F/DS already updated to Oreo. Good thing: smooth, add some more features that i like,
Bad things: it's seem like not connect with mobile data stable as before even i try to use another SIM, for Gamelaunch features is stupid it keep showing "No alert while in game" event I'm not playing game, the new keyboard i like it but it keeps hiding back even I'm tying (it's hiding back 3 times while I'm typing until here), some of the game online keep going back to (connecting..) screen while playing. i thought may be it because of the data connection. I changed the SIM than the same, then i used wifi while it loading back to connecting again while everyone is ok (example: vainglory)

gd761

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
There's one thing about the OREO Update that had got Me MAD AS HELL!!!!

When I take out the S-Pen, the little bubble used to stay along the very side of My Note 8, Now the little bubble stays about 1/4 inch away from the Side of the Screen and will NOT go back to the very edge of the screen where it used to stay out of the way.

Samsung, put out an Update/Patch to Fix this issue that was overlooked before the OREO Update was pushed to the Note 8, ASAP!

If there's Anyone else who has Noticed this and is Mad about this, then Comment here as well and then If Samsung Reads Any and All of these Posts, then Samsung Will see that they Screwed Up with this issue and correct it.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
There's one thing about the OREO Update that had got Me MAD AS HELL!!!!

When I take out the S-Pen, the little bubble used to stay along the very side of My Note 8, Now the little bubble stays about 1/4 inch away from the Side of the Screen and will NOT go back to the very edge of the screen where it used to stay out of the way.

Samsung, put out an Update/Patch to Fix this issue that was overlooked before the OREO Update was pushed to the Note 8, ASAP!

If there's Anyone else who has Noticed this and is Mad about this, then Comment here as well and then If Samsung Reads Any and All of these Posts, then Samsung Will see that they Screwed Up with this issue and correct it.

Mine is 1/4" away from edge only when active for selecting a Pen app, but moves all the way back to the edge after making a selection or tapping elsewhere to dismiss. Is yours not doing this?
20180404_134641.jpg
20180404_134554.jpg

LLE86

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
Since the update my battery life has gone down. The battery drains quicker, and it charges more slowly unless I'm plugged into the original fast charge charger, which wasn't the case prior. It also keeps giving me a device maintenance notification saying an app is overloading the system naming "system_server" and when I allow it to close the problem app it just restarts my phone.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Updated this morning on unlocked AU...haven't noticed ANY difference given that I use Nova launcher & Samsung theme. Beware however I lost ALL my screenshots from photo album.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Since the update my battery life has gone down. The battery drains quicker, and it charges more slowly unless I'm plugged into the original fast charge charger, which wasn't the case prior. It also keeps giving me a device maintenance notification saying an app is overloading the system naming "system_server" and when I allow it to close the problem app it just restarts my phone.

Have you tried doing a system partition cache wipe?