06-20-2018 09:41 AM
26 12
tools
    With my unlocked note 8 I decided to update last night to Oreo and while it has some moderately neat updates, it's ruined things as simple as messenger. Now, my note 8 won't even vibrate or show the LED indicator when I receive a text message. None of the notification options have been changed. I always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but this broke it worse.
    04-05-2018 10:08 PM
    Annoyed that the notification count badge on the email (and other) app icons does not permanently remain to indicate number of unread emails, but rather disappears after the notification badge is swiped on lock page or if app opened, emails remain unread, app closed. Seems no simple setting adjustment fix. Annoyed.
    04-05-2018 11:21 PM
    Annoyed that the notification count badge on the email (and other) app icons does not permanently remain to indicate number of unread emails, but rather disappears after the notification badge is swiped on lock page or if app opened, emails remain unread, app closed. Seems no simple setting adjustment fix. Annoyed.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who notices these things. I get a notification badge for every app that has a new notification. Nougat never had that. Hope with enough complaints they might make a fix with a update.
    04-05-2018 11:38 PM
    My notifications for email and text have been altered by the Verizon Oreo update. I've had to manually go into settings on my four accounts and reestablish the previously correct settings.
    04-06-2018 06:51 AM
    I get no indication on the Messages app that I have unread messages; on an AT&T Note 8. This is really, really annoying. I have to really pay attention to the notifications or completely miss messages.
    04-06-2018 06:58 AM
    Precisely! I will be sitting with my phone in my hand reading an email, and receive a text and not even know it. No vibration, no LED... Nothing. I won't know I had one unless I close the email and happen to scroll by the home screen with messenger on it. I'd love to roll back to the previous version.
    04-06-2018 07:13 AM
    My notifications for email and text have been altered by the Verizon Oreo update. I've had to manually go into settings on my four accounts and reestablish the previously correct settings.
    Where are the settings at? I looked in my email settings and didnt find anything.
    04-06-2018 07:43 AM
    Samsung messaging app just got an update and listed Message Badge fix and "Major bug fix". Hope it solves your issue!Oreo messed up notifications-screenshot_20180405-231513_galaxy-20apps.jpg
    04-06-2018 09:18 AM
    Samsung messaging app just got an update and listed Message Badge fix and "Major bug fix". Hope it solves your issue!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180405-231513_Galaxy%20Apps.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	282290
    I got that update and thought it may fix it... Nope... I've had my phone by my side all morning and I received about 7 separate text messages with zero notifications. I have to open the app to see if any came through
    04-06-2018 12:37 PM
    Where are the settings at? I looked in my email settings and didnt find anything.
    I've got my email settings to my accounts, all corporate and gmail including personal running through my Google Domain which then is synced to the Gmail and Samsung Email accounts, I go into my Google Gmail settings and manually set the protocols. Also to the phone's email settings. Regarding the texting, I go into the phone's notification and sound settings and make the appropriate adjustments. It takes some tweaking but I get it done. It's not a one press of the button and its accomplished.
    04-06-2018 01:55 PM
    Ultimately, I can't be of much help yet because I am still learning but there is the new "notification channels" system in Oreo. I have run into a couple times. After Oreo, the way I was getting notifications changed. Somehow, I got to a screen that defined priority levels and what the app is allowed to do. Looking at my phone now, I can't see how to get to those on my own.

Maybe someone else can comment on notification channels. I don't have them down yet.
    04-06-2018 03:51 PM
    With my unlocked note 8 I decided to update last night to Oreo and while it has some moderately neat updates, it's ruined things as simple as messenger. Now, my note 8 won't even vibrate or show the LED indicator when I receive a text message. None of the notification options have been changed. I always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but this broke it worse.
    So if you go to Settings-Notifications-Advanced-Messages, this is what your settings look like?Oreo messed up notifications-screenshot_20180406-172125_settings.jpg
    04-06-2018 04:23 PM
    So if you go to Settings-Notifications-Advanced-Messages, this is what your settings look like?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180406-172125_Settings.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	282324
    Exactly! All notifications are active in their entirety, no restrictions at all. I also noticed I don't receive any notification for Facebook or Whatsapp. I have to open those apps respectively to see the activity.
    04-07-2018 01:27 AM
    From the menu above, not only can "New messages" be toggled, clicking the title also opens to a new menu, where you can manually set the priority of the notification. Check it out
    Attached Thumbnails Oreo messed up notifications-screenshot_20180409-152410_settings.jpg   Oreo messed up notifications-screenshot_20180409-152420_settings.jpg  
    04-09-2018 05:25 PM
    I went into this settings area, toggled off the general notifications and messages, then back on again, then had to reset both to urgent setting and I've been getting my text notifications again.

Hope this helps others.
    04-10-2018 07:20 PM
    From the menu above, not only can "New messages" be toggled, clicking the title also opens to a new menu, where you can manually set the priority of the notification. Check it out
    That's exactly what my settings look like. The only thing that happens when I receive a text is the phone screen will wake when it's off. Other than that, nothing else occurs.
    04-12-2018 02:20 PM
    Still no fix setting adjustment for this ?
    04-21-2018 10:09 AM
    As of April 28th this hasn't been fixed, using a Verizon note 8. I've changed all the settings, turned them on and off, restarted my phone dozens of times. At best, I get sound notifications for a few hours or one day, and then I go back to it being silent. I don't understand why anyone would want to be neurotic enough to set a priority for every single app they have. The simple on/off toggle was fine. I would hope people working on updates have better ideas than over-thinking something to the point of making it worse.

This wouldn't be that frustrating, but my mom is really sick and I'm unable to be at her bedside 24/7, so I've been relying on someone texting me if I need to go over. If I'm asleep and her condition worsens, I won't SEE the text on my phone when it's being silent.

Also, unrelated but I'm annoyed you can't hold down on an app to go to your app settings with permissions/storage options. Having to go into settings > apps > find the app feels like android from 2009.
    04-28-2018 08:06 PM
    As of April 28th this hasn't been fixed, using a Verizon note 8. I've changed all the settings, turned them on and off, restarted my phone dozens of times. At best, I get sound notifications for a few hours or one day, and then I go back to it being silent. I don't understand why anyone would want to be neurotic enough to set a priority for every single app they have. The simple on/off toggle was fine. I would hope people working on updates have better ideas than over-thinking something to the point of making it worse.

This wouldn't be that frustrating, but my mom is really sick and I'm unable to be at her bedside 24/7, so I've been relying on someone texting me if I need to go over. If I'm asleep and her condition worsens, I won't SEE the text on my phone when it's being silent.

Also, unrelated but I'm annoyed you can't hold down on an app to go to your app settings with permissions/storage options. Having to go into settings > apps > find the app feels like android from 2009.
    04-28-2018 08:24 PM
    Does anyone here know when/if this will be fixed? I installed the Oreo update on my Samsung Galaxy S7 only a few days ago and I'm incredibly frustrated with how the unread message bubble disappears if I swipe the notification away.

It's happened to me multiple times already that I've forgotten someone sent me a message and replied many hours later when I open the app again. This seems like something that would be most logical if added as an optional feature, for those that don't want to see unread message bubbles on their app icons, not as a permanent change...
    06-09-2018 03:41 PM
    Does anyone here know when/if this will be fixed? I installed the Oreo update on my Samsung Galaxy S7 only a few days ago and I'm incredibly frustrated with how the unread message bubble disappears if I swipe the notification away.

It's happened to me multiple times already that I've forgotten someone sent me a message and replied many hours later when I open the app again. This seems like something that would be most logical if added as an optional feature, for those that don't want to see unread message bubbles on their app icons, not as a permanent change...
    Agree and agree and
    06-10-2018 03:58 PM

It happens to me all the time, I hate the way the notifications work now, I just hope that someone at google realises their error and fixes it soon.
    06-10-2018 04:32 PM
    Yes! I thought I was going crazy but I am relieved that I am not alone!

Switched from iPhone 6s to a new lg G7 running 8.1 and have been frustrated with the notification system since day 1!

Looking at Facebook, the app icon shows 3 notifications, yet, within the app itself, there could be 7 or more (for example).

Further, when I have opened the notification list in the app, then leave it, iOS would turn off the notification alert on the app icon. Not so android - stays there at its wrong count until I go to the os notifications and clear them.

Further, the list of android notifications is not simply "updated the app" or something similarly mundane. It's those, plus some of the normal Facebook notifications. What??

Not impressed. Not at all. First time using android and it's maddening. Hope it's fixed, otherwise this will be a long two years.
    06-12-2018 11:46 AM
    This might help me understand why I am not getting my text pop ups anymore.
    06-12-2018 04:50 PM
    Mine unlocked Note 8 sucks now too. I don't get notifications until I pick up and move the phone and then notifications for everything I missed come in all at once. On top of that, my battery is draining at least twice as fast as before since the most recent update I received. As someone who hates Android and came here because MS is clueless, this has made what was barely bearable become an all around miserable experience. By the way, this applies to all of my notifications and not just text notifications.
    06-12-2018 07:23 PM
26 12