Android system hogs battery

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how that works for ya.
That's the problem. It was turned off and battery was great. Then today it was running in background again causing major battery drain. Guess I'm gonna have to FDR this bad boy. Unless 71% left after being off charger for 5.5hrs seems good.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem. It was turned off and battery was great. Then today it was running in background again causing major battery drain. Guess I'm gonna have to FDR this bad boy. Unless 71% left after being off charger for 5.5hrs seems good.
That looks like normal battery usage to me.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot of your "Battery Usage" page from "Settings" after say 5.5 hours so we can see the "Recent Battery Usage" stats for comparison to our phones. Something doesn't sound right - mine doesn't run down that badly... I'm not a real heavy user, but still! What's it look like overnight after a full charge? I take mine off the charger at midnight (100%) and when I get up at 8:00AM it's at between 94-95% from standby. That dropped immediately after Oreo to 91-92% but it's back up again to where it was with Nougat without me doing anything (learning)?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Do you, by chance, have location services set to High Accuracy? If so, try switching it to Battery Saving except for when you're actively using mapping.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot of your "Battery Usage" page from "Settings" after say 5.5 hours so we can see the "Recent Battery Usage" stats for comparison to our phones. Something doesn't sound right - mine doesn't run down that badly... I'm not a real heavy user, but still! What's it look like overnight after a full charge? I take mine off the charger at midnight (100%) and when I get up at 8:00AM it's at between 94-95% from standby. That dropped immediately after Oreo to 91-92% but it's back up again to where it was with Nougat without me doing anything (learning)?
Screen 3%. Android system 3%. And one other I forgot what it was but it was part of the system at 3%. I am a heavy user on most days so I do notice it. Seems like as soon as I either restart or shut of android system in the background it's fine. Guess I'm going to backup and FDR tonight and see if the bug remains. I had to charge it cause I'm at work and it was already at 61% by 12:30. Only 6.5hrs, but that may be normal.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Screen 3%. Android system 3%. And one other I forgot what it was but it was part of the system at 3%. I am a heavy user on most days so I do notice it. Seems like as soon as I either restart or shut of android system in the background it's fine. Guess I'm going to backup and FDR tonight and see if the bug remains. I had to charge it cause I'm at work and it was already at 61% by 12:30. Only 6.5hrs, but that may be normal.
FDR sux but hopefully it will clear up whatever is dragging the battery down - I really don't want to believe that is normal. I've had mine since they came out and never had that kind of battery life... Nougat or Oreo. Good Luck... let us know please!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've always found location service /gps to be quite battery draining, only turn it on if I actually need it, Bluetooth doesn't seem bad at all on the Note 8 though

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Location services only drains anything noticeable if some app is requesting the location, otherwise the only data the phone hasn't already gotten is the GPS location, and it won't run the GPS receiver unless it's asked to by an app.

As for 29% usage after 5.5 hours, that's about normal. High usage by Android System (and 3% of 29% is only .87% of the total battery capacity - iot's not high) is normal also - that's almost all of the phone, so it's going to be running with almost every app. (If the app calls an Android API, it's calling Android System). If the app is set to use background services, Android System is going to be running in the background. That doesn't mean that Android services is running whenever it wants, it means that it's running when an app that runs it as a background service needs it. Don't run any apps and you won't use much battery. But use the phone normally and you're going to be running a lot of Android code - in the background if that's how the app you're running was written.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney