I have a note 8 on straight talk wireless - will i get the oreo update? originally verizon

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
The upgrade would go through straight talk. Verizon has no way if pushing the update to you since you don't have their service.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The upgrade would go through straight talk. Verizon has no way if pushing the update to you since you don't have their service.
The update will always come from the carrier who the phone was originally locked to. The current carrier doesn't matter.

My Note 8 is a T-Mobile version and was unlocked on February 1 and I'm using it on AT&T. The Oreo update still said that T-Mobile has sent me this update.

This is how it works.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Possibly. It wouldn't be the first time I received a wrong answer from the tech support.

The phone is still a Verizon Note 8, it's just carrier unlocked now. Nothing has changed on the phone other then it will now accept other carriers sims. The model number is still a Verizon model number and Verizon is still responsible for maintaining the firmware on that phone until the updates are no longer available for it.

The only time a phone doesn't rely on a carrier for updates is if it's a factory unlocked model such as a unlocked Note 8 from T-Mobile. Samsung is responsible for the updates on that model.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Why bother Verizon on this, your on straight talk, call their customer service and ask them. If I was Verizon rep I would tell you to call straight talk, your their customer. I know, it's a Verizon phone, but if you take it to another carrier Verizon has every right to refer you to your carrier for assistance, you're tying up Verizon rep time for their actual customers.

And i agree with others, enjoy not having Oreo, you're really blessed not having it. My phone freezes up a few times a week now, never did that till I put Oreo on it.