04-27-2018 12:54 PM
32 12
tools
    I opened Galaxy Apps today and was bombarded by game sounds. It is caused by an ad playing just under "Pick of the day". It seems that the only way to mute the sound from the ad is to hide the ad.

Extremely frustrating.

Does anyone else experience this?
    jimd1050 and toenail_flicker like this.
    04-16-2018 02:47 PM
    Yes I noticed it with the last update and I agree it's really annoying the check for updates and all the sudden you hear music blasting.
    04-16-2018 02:51 PM
    I have always avoided getting down on Samsung, no matter what they've done wrong - I just sit back and avoid typing my feelings! That one really got me - my wife and I were watching TV and a really good show was on and the ad scared the living "bejesus" (to try and keep it clean) out of my wife! They are idiots at times for the stunts they pull without even thinking about their customers!
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    04-16-2018 03:24 PM
    It's worse than Samsung trying to force Bixby on everyone when it first came out.

I checked every setting in the app and no way to turn off the sound. I exit the settings and it immediately starts blasting sound from the advert, smh. I have the app set to auto update so I'll avoid opening it in future even though updates do show faster when you check manually.

They made me waste time looking for a way to disable so I took the extra time to go through settings and disable any sharing of my info to them that I didn't realize it was set to do. Just cost them some info they could have been leeching along with the Bixby I disabled long ago.

I have always avoided getting down on Samsung, no matter what they've done wrong - I just sit back and avoid typing my feelings! That one really got me - my wife and I were watching TV and a really good show was on and the ad scared the living "bejesus" (to try and keep it clean) out of my wife! They are idiots at times for the stunts they pull without even thinking about their customers!
    04-16-2018 03:51 PM
    Use an adblocker such as Adguard Pro. I haven't had this problem with these ads with Adguard Pro running on my phone. I keep it running 24/7 so it blocks ads in apps and my browser. You get it from adguard.com/apk and not the play store.
    04-16-2018 06:09 PM
    I've always enjoyed my Notes, but these latest moves make me question continuing with the device in the future. I have so much blocked, and with this new assault it's feeling not worth it anymore. they have reminded me why I always rooted and refused updates. bad move on their part imo, even though I rarely update their apps knowing that this could come about. still love my N8 but a future with me isn't certain for Samsung these days.
    04-16-2018 08:06 PM
    Yup, annoying.
    04-16-2018 08:23 PM
    Interesting didn't know blockers blocks in apps also. I see on the main site there is a monthly payment or lifetime payment... if the app free or is it free trial or more features when buying?

Use an adblocker such as Adguard Pro. I haven't had this problem with these ads with Adguard Pro running on my phone. I keep it running 24/7 so it blocks ads in apps and my browser. You get it from adguard.com/apk and not the play store.
    04-16-2018 08:26 PM
    Interesting didn't know blockers blocks in apps also. I see on the main site there is a monthly payment or lifetime payment... if the app free or is it free trial or more features when buying?
    You can try the app free for a week. I bought the lifetime license while it was on sale at Christmas a few years ago. I think I got a three device license for like $10 back then. I have it on all my Android phones (Note 8, S7 Edge, Note 5 and a few other phones).
    04-17-2018 03:24 AM
    Thanks. It looks interesting. That was a great deal. Hope they have sale again in future... $25 for single lifetime license a bit steep for me. Too bad Google Play free version doesn't seem to cover apps.

You can try the app free for a week. I bought the lifetime license while it was on sale at Christmas a few years ago. I think I got a three device license for like $10 back then. I have it on all my Android phones (Note 8, S7 Edge, Note 5 and a few other phones).
    04-17-2018 11:23 AM
    Thanks. It looks interesting. That was a great deal. Hope they have sale again in future... $25 for single lifetime license a bit steep for me. Too bad Google Play free version doesn't seem to cover apps.
    I use Blokada and it works well for me with apps. perhaps you could use the two in concert to achieve what you want.
    04-17-2018 11:31 AM
    What i did with the very first license I owned until they had the Xmas sale was to just buy a one year sub. When the Xmas sale started, I simply went to the site and upgraded my license to the unlimited. Since it was now on sale, it cost about $5 to do so it was still much cheaper then buying the lifetime license.
    04-17-2018 03:54 PM
    I've never experienced sounds in the Galaxy apps app. I'm not complaining, though.
    04-17-2018 10:19 PM
    I've never experienced sounds in the Galaxy apps app. I'm not complaining, though.
    Yeah, it just started with the last update to THE Galaxy Apps app about a week ago but it doesn't happen all the time. Only certain Ads have music that BLAST when you open the app - it's nasty!
    04-18-2018 12:18 AM
    Where is the setting to allow installing apps from unknown sources?

I thought it was in Settings > Lock Screen and Security and should be a option for Unknown Sources... but it's not there on my phone.

Attachment 282884
    Attached Thumbnails Ads with sound in Galaxy Apps app-20180418_213255.jpg  
    04-18-2018 09:35 PM

I thought it was in Settings > Lock Screen and Security and should be a option for Unknown Sources... but it's not there on my phone.

Attachment 282884
    It's now in the Developer Settings
    04-18-2018 09:39 PM
    That's the first place I looked actually and thinking I must be going crazy cause I can't see it.

Ads with sound in Galaxy Apps app-screenshot_20180418-214122_settings.jpg

It's now in the Developer Settings
    04-18-2018 09:45 PM
    That's the first place I looked actually and thinking I must be going crazy cause I can't see it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180418-214122_Settings.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	282891
    Weird. Anyway, try just using the search function and type unknown sources.
    04-18-2018 09:47 PM
    I did and nothing . I even used Bixby by holding down the Bixby Button and saying "unknown sources'' and it brought me to Lock Screen and Security options lol.

Do you mind checking your phone if you have "unknown sources" option in either of those two places or if you are also missing those after the Oreo update (I'm on AT&T). I hate to think I found a glitch in my update and actually have to reset my OS just to get it back

Weird. Anyway, try just using the search function and type unknown sources.
    04-18-2018 09:55 PM
    I did and nothing . I even used Bixby by holding down the Bixby Button and saying "unknown sources'' and it brought me to Lock Screen and Security options lol.

Do you mind checking your phone if you have "unknown sources" option in either of those two places or if you are also missing those after the Oreo update (I'm on AT&T). I hate to think I found a glitch in my update and actually have to reset my OS just to get it back
    I'm on an Exynos and not in the US so no carrier interference. Unknown Sources show up on search so... And I don't have an S8 (S9).... Just didn't think of the differences. Oh well.
    04-18-2018 09:58 PM
    Thanks for looking. What a pain if a glitch or some AT&T f-up on the update.

I'm on an Exynos and not in the US so no carrier interference. Unknown Sources show up on search so... And I don't have an S8 (S9).... Just didn't think of the differences. Oh well.
    04-18-2018 10:01 PM

Attachment 282884
    In Oreo look in Settings -> Apps -> 3 dots -> Special Access -> Install unknown apps
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-18-2018 10:24 PM
    Just to see what it would do... I downloaded adguard directly from their site and then ran app after download and all it asked was if I wanted to install and it installed.

Smh... Didn't have to enable any unknown sources option I guess to install a non Google play downloaded app.

In Oreo look in Settings -> Apps -> 3 dots -> Special Access -> Install unknown apps
    Attached Thumbnails Ads with sound in Galaxy Apps app-screenshot_20180418-223230_package-installer.jpg   Ads with sound in Galaxy Apps app-screenshot_20180418-223243_package-installer.jpg  
    04-18-2018 10:37 PM
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/androi...s-a-lot-safer/

Sorry for kinda repeating post on two separate threads but just wanted to pass along article explaining the change in Oreo and move on from this topic lol.

04-18-2018 10:53 PM
    Anyways back on topic... Just wanted to thank for link and decided to try adguard and checked Samsung Apps app and... No annoying sound!!

I'll do the free trial and see if I like it. The only concern is it gave a notification that the app was using my battery... I just hope it's not telling me it's a battery hog.

Attached Thumbnails Ads with sound in Galaxy Apps app-screenshot_20180418-224730_samsung-experience-home.jpg  
    04-18-2018 10:57 PM
32 12