Any thoughts on a good/cheap "backup" phone for a Note 8 owner?

Loren Terveen

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm a happy Note 8 owner. When I get a new phone, I always pass my previous one to my wife, and take the one she was using as my backup (i.e., this was my two-times-ago phone). I use the backups purely on WiFi, without a SIM card, as media viewers, game playing, a bit of social media, etc., primarily at night while I have my Note 8 on the charger.

Currently, my 'backups' are a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 4. The Note 3 works fine, but is pretty old and slow. The Note 4 appears to have some sort of hardware problem, otherwise, I'd be satisfied to continue using that as my backup.

My question is: is there a decent cheap (sub $200) phone with performance in the same ballpark as the Note 4? I should say that I'm happy to buy "like new" or manufacturer refurbished from ebay or swappa.

I'd been thinking about the Motorola G5 family, but I can't really figure out how these would compare to a Note 3 or Note 4. Does anyone have experience with these? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you!

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
the note 3 is four years old and the 4 is five, actually, add a year to each. they will not receive updates, and haven't for awhile, and by today standards the guts are sub par except for the screen.

my g5+, 4/64gb, blows away my note 3 in performance and camera, the battery life is more than double. A friend of mine just got a $150 E and it is a nice phone as well, especially for the price.

for cheap phones Moto is my choice, Huawei also has great reviews but I have never used one. I would not touch a cheap Samsung, notoriously bad long term.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I would suggest an LG V20. I've had one for going on 2 years and it is a tank of a phone: rugged design, decent dual cameras, removeable battery, expandable storage, great audio/DAC set up for headphone listening and IR blaster for those times when you can't find the remote. You can probably find one on Swappa for around your price range.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The G5 series is a very capable daily driver for the average user. I know a couple people with them and they love them. You can't go wrong with it as a backup.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have my iPhone 6s as backup and spent the $30 for a fresh battery from Apple so should be good for at least another two years and will probably be supported up to iOS 13. Can't go wrong with an iPhone when you just want a solid emergency backup phone.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a happy Note 8 owner. When I get a new phone, I always pass my previous one to my wife, and take the one she was using as my backup (i.e., this was my two-times-ago phone). I use the backups purely on WiFi, without a SIM card, as media viewers, game playing, a bit of social media, etc., primarily at night while I have my Note 8 on the charger.

Currently, my 'backups' are a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 4. The Note 3 works fine, but is pretty old and slow. The Note 4 appears to have some sort of hardware problem, otherwise, I'd be satisfied to continue using that as my backup.

My question is: is there a decent cheap (sub $200) phone with performance in the same ballpark as the Note 4? I should say that I'm happy to buy "like new" or manufacturer refurbished from ebay or swappa.

I'd been thinking about the Motorola G5 family, but I can't really figure out how these would compare to a Note 3 or Note 4. Does anyone have experience with these? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you!
How about a Galaxy Note5? I am sure you can get it at a low price now and it makes more sense to have another Note back up if you rely on the SPen.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset your Note 3, root it and install Phronesis N7 ROM, it'll be almost like having two Note 8, did it for a friend and put Nova Prime on it as well

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A good condition Note 4 on Swappa is under your budget. You may also find some on eBay. (I looked a while back, but decided on a Pixel 2.)

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
the S8 is my daily driver while the Honor 8 is my very capable backup. love that phone, too. it's a little theming machine.

Joseph Rose1

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
iPhone X (work phone) is my backup. Weird huh? My main driver is a Google Pixel 2 XL. It convinced me to finally escape the Apple ecosystem, something Samsung has never been able to do.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
My daily phone is the Note 8 with the Note 5 as a backup. I keep the 5 up to date so if any thing happens I can just swap in the sim card and be ready to go.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't "carry" a back-up phone. I do have an HTC One Max which I keep available, updated weekly, and even have a SIM adapter in the event I need to use it instead of my daily driver. I often use it as a media player on an airplane since it has a 200gb sdcard in it with all my music and podcasts, and it's phablet sized so I can also use it instead of my Nexus 7.