T-Mobile confirms Note8 Oreo update "on hold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Although there were previous rumors, it is only yesterday that T-Mobile changed their Software Updates page to announce that the Oreo update was put "on hold" on April 3, two days after its declared release (and just one day after it actually began to roll out), and is "temporarily unavailable" (for three weeks and counting).

It took T-Mobile 20 days before they acknowledged the suspension. Until yesterday, their Updates page still listed Oreo as "current" and "available", leaving millions of customers to waste hours of time trying to figure out why they weren't receiving the update.

And they still have not announced if or when the update is expected to return, or explained the reason for its withdrawal. For example, should those of us who did get the update be worried that a serious security flaw was found?

By withholding such information, a company expresses contempt for its customers.

Mod Edit

Please see below for new thread on this topic.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...t-mobile-oreo-re-release-coming-may-13-a.html

Last edited by a moderator:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The forums are full of complaints after Oreo update. Most on here tell us that it's a low number having issues, majority aren't having issues.

I don't know why T mobile held the update, but this could be why. T mobile is one of the first to release new things, the fact they haven't and suspended it probably says they know of issues.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It's because oreo has a serious bug. I had to fdr and still get weird stuff happen. None of this was happening before the update. Yes they are small trivial things but still can be a neucience.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile was the last major US carrier to release Oreo for the Note 8 and it seems the only one to suspend deployment after what, 48 hours.

What has T-Mobile discovered that other carriers haven't and why haven't they told those of us who have the update that there may be problems with the build?

Ticktocker

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I saw a confirmation of "no Oreo yet" on their site a few days ago. I appreciate that they know Oreo is somewhat faulty and not really necessary.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I saw a confirmation of "no Oreo yet" on their site a few days ago.
Where on their site? I know some rumors had been mentioned in the user forums, but yesterday is the first official announcement from T-Mobile that I'm aware of.

I appreciate that they know Oreo is somewhat faulty and not really necessary.
It's not clear that they know that or that that's even true. I'm not aware of any other carrier withdrawing Oreo. It looks more like a problem in T-Mobile's own firmware for the release; see the article linked above by djlee0314.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
leaving millions of customers to waste hours of time trying to figure out why they weren't receiving the update.

You really think millions even know there is an update, let alone waiting?

I do get your point. I got mine with no flaws. Except my AOD. I didn't wait over 30minutes to see if it would change. But I lived without it before, although I liked it.
I wouldn't have been happy not to have it because I'm that way.

I think tmobile should have said something earlier, but maybe they kept thinking it would be solved and then wasn't.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I do get your point. I got mine with no flaws. Except my AOD. I didn't wait over 30minutes to see if it would change. But I lived without it before, although I liked it.
I wouldn't have been happy not to have it because I'm that way.

I think tmobile should have said something earlier, but maybe they kept thinking it would be solved and then wasn't.
They probably were dealing with Samsung's customer service and was told that there is a ticket filled out and they would get an email in 5 to 6 business days.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Out of 80 million US T-Mobile customers, there could well be millions who use the Note8 and who knew of and waited for the update. If not, at least hundreds of thousands.

It's good to consider possible charitable explanations for others' misconduct. But T-Mobile should have announced the suspension as soon as it occurred, instead of continuing to state falsely on their Updates page that the update is "available". Plus they certainly knew within a couple of days that it would not be fixed within a couple of days of the suspension. Plus they should have also announced the reason for the suspension, which they still haven't done. There's plausible speculation that it's just a McAfee bug, but still no assurance that it isn't, for example, a major security flaw afflicting those of us who did get the update.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Although there were previous rumors, it is only yesterday that T-Mobile changed their Software Updates page to announce that the Oreo update was put "on hold" on April 3, two days after its declared release (and just one day after it actually began to roll out), and is "temporarily unavailable" (for three weeks and counting).

It took T-Mobile 20 days before they acknowledged the suspension. Until yesterday, their Updates page still listed Oreo as "current" and "available", leaving millions of customers to waste hours of time trying to figure out why they weren't receiving the update.

And they still have not announced if or when the update is expected to return, or explained the reason for its withdrawal. For example, should those of us who did get the update be worried that a serious security flaw was found?

By withholding such information, a company expresses contempt for its customers.
Shows contempt for their customers? Wow, that's dramatic.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, how would you characterize it when a company continues to claim falsely that an update is now "available" for three weeks after they've actually withdrawn it?
It would be bad for business to do this intentionally so I'm going with things like someone screwed up or some of the things others said.

Contempt is just too strong a word for something like this IMHO. TMO does a lot for their customers. I'm happy to be out of where I literally felt trapped because of hubby's traveling we need excellent coverage. TMO has worked hard to make this possible. What they did for us recently after hubby switched jobs and was having a lot of problems they made it possible for us to stay when I had to call and tell them we were having to go back to VZW. VZW would have just told us not to let the door hit us in the behind on the way out.

Not saying you do but I also don't hang on every pending update either which is popular with a lot of people. I prefer caution companies take so I have less chances of having to deal with a messed up phone. I'd rather wait.

PS4EjectButton

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Any negative feedback and complaints lodged at T-Mobile over this update are well deserved. If McAfee is the actual culprit for the issues then maybe T-Mobile shouldn't have shoved that app down their customers throats. I always skim thru my app drawer after any update to catch this type of junk and I uninstalled immediately and I'm not having any problems. Before I uninstalled, I went to Settings-Apps and clicked on McAfee. At the bottom it says where the app was installed from and in this case it was the Tmobile app.

So Tmobile was last to update to Oreo, they pulled the update after less than 48 hours and took 3 weeks to tell their customers it was pulled, and if McAfee is the reason for issues with the update, Tmobile caused the problems for their customers by forcing the app to be installed.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It would be bad for business to do this intentionally so I'm going with things like someone screwed up or some of the things others said.
It's not necessarily bad for business on the whole. They could have calculated that the hit to their reputation if they admitted the problem promptly would be worse than if they covered it up for as long as they could, until Oreo is already old news.

The software-release process, including the publication of release notes and announcements, is highly regimented, with explicitly assigned responsibilities and supervision, so it seems unlikely that this somehow slipped everyone's attention, rather than being an explicit decision.

The fallout for T-Mobile is probably minimal. As you point out, there's a lot that's great about T-Mobile's services, and few if any customers (including me) will switch carriers just because of T-Mobile's lack of candor in this matter. But it's still a disrespectful way for them to treat people, even though they can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers