Odd behaviour on my phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone, all of a sudden my Note 8's device maintenance widget icon has gotten bigger. The weirdest part is that it clears alot of memory despite my phone being inactive for the past few minutes. It sometimes says something along the lines of ' security policy restricts clearing of this app's cache' as well. Is this because of some virus? Im completely new to android so i do not know if this is something common but when i used to use the widget it was nothing like this. Thanks for your help in advance :)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, all of a sudden my Note 8's device maintenance widget icon has gotten bigger. The weirdest part is that it clears alot of memory despite my phone being inactive for the past few minutes. It sometimes says something along the lines of ' security policy restricts clearing of this app's cache' as well. Is this because of some virus? Im completely new to android so i do not know if this is something common but when i used to use the widget it was nothing like this. Thanks for your help in advance :)
As for Icon size, here's a screenshot of mine since the Oreo update:
Device maintenance.jpg
As for it saying 'security policy restricts clearing of this app's cache', I've never seen anything like that before! I'm also not sure why it would clear memory after being inactive - after reading your question, I ran mine, then let it sit for like 45 minutes and ran it again and the second time it simply said "Optimized"! That's when I did this screenshot... viruses are rare but NOT out of the question. I don't run Anti-virus but I do run MalwareBytes anti Malware App.